Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Aviation Radios

Reaction score
Anyone own a hand held Aviation Radio?

I'm starting to study up on them for an upcoming purchase. When I pass my Part 107 I'll reward myself.

What make/ models are the industry standard? Avoid those kind and love this one etc.

Are you talking just aircraft radio or ham band radio ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm based in Australia. I have the iCom air band transceiver. Works well and it was recommended to me when I did my commercial UAV licence.

Reactions: g2em3
I'm talking hand held aircraft radios. If broadcasting from the ground communicating with a tower is range limited. They are better from the air.

I have owned an Icom handheld and it is an excellent radio. Yes range is limited but the most you need is 5 miles and I think you should be ok.

I'm talking hand held aircraft radios. If broadcasting from the ground communicating with a tower is range limited. They are better from the air.

There are handheld ham radios.

I used one all the time to communicate with other hang gliders when I use to hang glide.

There are handheld ham radios.

I used one all the time to communicate with other hang gliders when I use to hang glide.

Most handheld ham radios do not all TX on AM just recv.. :( The Icom is a good choice
Icom IC-A14 COM Aviation Radio not allot of power

you have to change it to wide recv in your settings then it will allow AM bands , well I guess i should ask what radio you have LOL - I have the Yaesu FT2DR :)

I'm probably wrong, but I'm thinking you cannot transmit in the aircraft band without being a Part 107 UAS Remote Pilot under the FCC Special Rule for pilots. Who knows for certain about that? Ham license will not do.

I'm probably wrong, but I'm thinking you cannot transmit in the aircraft band without being a Part 107 UAS Remote Pilot under the FCC Special Rule for pilots. Who knows for certain about that? Ham license will not do.

That would be a good guess but you can listen and learn the lingo, but I have been listening to boise airport and they so fast LOL cant catch much

Reactions: Rayray

You can't transmit unless you have a radio station license for aircraft use. I would think HAM operators have regs of their own to follow. Anyone can listen to anything they can receive though. You can catch Ground, Tower, and Approach in some interesting You Tube videos.

In the UK listening to Airband traffic can be an offence, I know in HAM radios in the US you need an FCC license to broadcast but not to listen. I'm not clear on the requirements for airband TX on the ground without a ground station license in the US, but looks like there are some special use clauses that might be a work around.

That would be a good guess but you can listen and learn the lingo, but I have been listening to boise airport and they so fast LOL cant catch much

If you want to just listen, just get a scanner.

I use to have one and would listen to LAX a lot.

I listened to the aircraft Voyager when it took off from Edwards Air Force Base on its way nonstop around the world. I was able to hear it's conversations until it got to about San Nicholas Island.

Live ATC is an app that allows you to listen to air traffic, not all airports are available and some are only online intermittently. I have both the Icom and Yaesu, and I prefer the Yaesu.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval