Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Purpose of a Drone - Photography

I just can't see what it is doing, that far away, even at 400 feet high, I get nervous, it is getting really small way up there. One thing I like about the Q500 4K is that if I get a little confused, I can just let go of the controls, and it will just sit there and wait for me to catch up....
That's the trick. Some people panic in a situation and start doing things with the controls that eventually lead to 'unfortunate' events. So long as the compass and GPS are working fine the best thing to do is take your hands off the controller until you've sorted yourself out. Many an avoidable crash has happened through panic setting in.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
That's the trick. Some people panic in a situation and start doing things with the controls that eventually lead to 'unfortunate' events. So long as the compass and GPS are working fine the best thing to do is take your hands off the controller until you've sorted yourself out. Many an avoidable crash has happened through panic setting in.
I have a Syma X8C the big orange one, it has no GPS or compass ,but it will stay level....if I don't screw it up......as you said, I would get disoriented and panic, and you wouldn't believe some of the maneuvers it would do , while I was trying to recover..then even with that drone, I found that if you take your hands off of the controller for a second or two, it would settle down, and give me time to take control again..just have to stay calm....not easy when you are just learning, now with my Q500 4K I am a lot more relaxed when I am flying......

I disagree that the "helper monkey" electronics takes any degree of skill out of the equation. At my job, I program a Zeiss DuraMax CMM, and its joysticks and probe arm movement are identical to Mode 2 of the Q500 4K: right stick is Up/Down/Rotate and left stick is Forward/Back/Strafe. For my first flight, I put the Q500 in Angle (manual flight) mode, and aside from strafing too low to the ground, it went off with nary a hitch. On the other hand, my Dad crashed his on his first takeoff because he yanked too hard and too long when it drifted on launch.

Racing drones benefit from cameras mostly for the FPV and playing it back later. So far, my Q500 has taken videos of the ground, the driveway, the tree line, the roof, the personal vehicles, and the entire property from overhead. You do that about twice and you call it "done" unless you plant more trees or dig trenches or buy a new car. It's not exactly a thrill ride. Then again, I'm not picking up the pieces because I banked too late in turn 3, or clipped a course ring while passing through it (or another drone).

I disagree that the "helper monkey" electronics takes any degree of skill out of the equation. At my job, I program a Zeiss DuraMax CMM, and its joysticks and probe arm movement are identical to Mode 2 of the Q500 4K: right stick is Up/Down/Rotate and left stick is Forward/Back/Strafe. For my first flight, I put the Q500 in Angle (manual flight) mode, and aside from strafing too low to the ground, it went off with nary a hitch. On the other hand, my Dad crashed his on his first takeoff because he yanked too hard and too long when it drifted on launch.

Racing drones benefit from cameras mostly for the FPV and playing it back later. So far, my Q500 has taken videos of the ground, the driveway, the tree line, the roof, the personal vehicles, and the entire property from overhead. You do that about twice and you call it "done" unless you plant more trees or dig trenches or buy a new car. It's not exactly a thrill ride. Then again, I'm not picking up the pieces because I banked too late in turn 3, or clipped a course ring while passing through it (or another drone).

Great to hear you're enjoying & flying your Q500, although you're hitting the "mark" on the focus of the post. If you're only accustomed to quads with the electronics to fly stable and take inputs with controlled attitude the reference point isn't beyond... to use your term "helper monkey" electronics and flying skills are honed based on the characteristics of these suburb flying intelligent electronic platforms.

My suggestion was if some flyers were looking for a way to hone fly skills, try another platform. Not suggesting to replace current platform or use other platform as a photographic platform; but as a alternate & entertaining method to broaden your skills. You noticed several of the replies from senior pilots who started 20+ years ago with RC Heli or Plane, they had no desire to return to previous flying but they recall & appreciated the experience.

You mention you've flown around the yard & photographed the landscape. This is what the Q500 was designed to do, offload the burden of controlling flight and allow you easily move around and photograph. If you were to try an RC Heli - "Collective" true model you'd discover you have no time to photograph and you'll apply all your coordinated visual/hand/mental resources to simply "attempt" to hover... which for some time you won't be able to hover. When you can hover a Collective Heli and move it forward you'll have a much greater appreciation of the "helper monkey" electronics of the Photo Platforms. While you're struggling with a modern Helli, be aware this is advanced electronics compared to older analog servos & mechanical gyros of a few years ago.

As you acquire new flying skills on alternate platform, you'll notice your quad skills improve too. Your "touch" on the sticks change, your alert reactions become more gentle, noticing when something just isn't correct is more focused & detailed, and your head-on controlling becomes easier to react in the correct direction.

A collective Heli isn't a substitute, it's another platform to enjoy. You'll be surprised how little your flying skills control the AC compared to the electronics. Without insulting highly experienced pilots, I'd estimate "core" flying dynamics are 90% electronics allowing the majority of Pilot's attention to flight "mission" and navigation. This isn't a negative, it's a wonderful achievement in technology and the sport. The massive increase in purchasing drones compared to the few that would accept the challenge to fly RC years ago. But those skills aren't to be overlooked, they'll improve your overall flying skills and confidence. Plus, it's a nitch you'll quickly find that few can pilot or desire to invest time & energy to acquire.

It's an alternative to the joy of RC Flying, it's not a replacement to photo platform and it's not a potential income source... actually it can be a income drain... repairs while learning. But it does add value to any pilot's flight bag of experience & skill.

To touch on the FPV Racing, they depend on similar drone electronics with the added element of true FPV. It's not the video they produce, but the flying within the video without the visual dimension of normal sight. Placing FPV googles on head and removing the ability to visually see your environment is a different experience. Similar experience, look down at your ST16 screen and only your screen while you fly around... not comfortable or easy.

Great to hear you're enjoying & flying your Q500, although you're hitting the "mark" on the focus of the post. If you're only accustomed to quads with the electronics to fly stable and take inputs with controlled attitude the reference point isn't beyond... to use your term "helper monkey" electronics and flying skills are honed based on the characteristics of these suburb flying intelligent electronic platforms.

My suggestion was if some flyers were looking for a way to hone fly skills, try another platform. Not suggesting to replace current platform or use other platform as a photographic platform; but as a alternate & entertaining method to broaden your skills. You noticed several of the replies from senior pilots who started 20+ years ago with RC Heli or Plane, they had no desire to return to previous flying but they recall & appreciated the experience.

You mention you've flown around the yard & photographed the landscape. This is what the Q500 was designed to do, offload the burden of controlling flight and allow you easily move around and photograph. If you were to try an RC Heli - "Collective" true model you'd discover you have no time to photograph and you'll apply all your coordinated visual/hand/mental resources to simply "attempt" to hover... which for some time you won't be able to hover. When you can hover a Collective Heli and move it forward you'll have a much greater appreciation of the "helper monkey" electronics of the Photo Platforms. While you're struggling with a modern Helli, be aware this is advanced electronics compared to older analog servos & mechanical gyros of a few years ago.

As you acquire new flying skills on alternate platform, you'll notice your quad skills improve too. Your "touch" on the sticks change, your alert reactions become more gentle, noticing when something just isn't correct is more focused & detailed, and your head-on controlling becomes easier to react in the correct direction.

A collective Heli isn't a substitute, it's another platform to enjoy. You'll be surprised how little your flying skills control the AC compared to the electronics. Without insulting highly experienced pilots, I'd estimate "core" flying dynamics are 90% electronics allowing the majority of Pilot's attention to flight "mission" and navigation. This isn't a negative, it's a wonderful achievement in technology and the sport. The massive increase in purchasing drones compared to the few that would accept the challenge to fly RC years ago. But those skills aren't to be overlooked, they'll improve your overall flying skills and confidence. Plus, it's a nitch you'll quickly find that few can pilot or desire to invest time & energy to acquire.

It's an alternative to the joy of RC Flying, it's not a replacement to photo platform and it's not a potential income source... actually it can be a income drain... repairs while learning. But it does add value to any pilot's flight bag of experience & skill.

You buy a drone for what it can do, the Q500 4K is intended to be a video drone, not a racing drone, it flies slower and is very stable for the camera platform. I worked my way through 6 drones, learning to fly them. Started small and worked my way up, 4 of them need repairs right now, but the last 2 are working just fine, the Q500 4K is the most expensive one, and my last drone, it does everything I want it to do, and that is all I need............fly safe and have fun.............

To touch on the FPV Racing, they depend on similar drone electronics with the added element of true FPV. It's not the video they produce, but the flying within the video without the visual dimension of normal sight. Placing FPV googles on head and removing the ability to visually see your environment is a different experience. Similar experience, look down at your ST16 screen and only your screen while you fly around... not comfortable or easy.
My third drone had an FPV screen on the controller, I just thought it would be cool to try it. For the life of me, I could not control that drone by just looking at the screen, crashed every time..I have to see the drone, to control it...I imagine those drone racers, practice many,many,many hours to be able to do that, and go through quite a few drones in the process.........

My third drone had an FPV screen on the controller, I just thought it would be cool to try it. For the life of me, I could not control that drone by just looking at the screen, crashed every time..I have to see the drone, to control it...I imagine those drone racers, practice many,many,many hours to be able to do that, and go through quite a few drones in the process.........

I can relate... the visual dimension through only the FPV video provides a big appreciation how the FPV Racers can fly... and the speed they fly through a course. Similar to your experience, I have less than 1 hour on True FPV and it was amazing but not productive, gave my old eyes a hard time.... but an appreciation to the FPV Pilots.

If you're looking for another challenge, try collective heli... it's hard too but in a controlling manor.

I can relate... the visual dimension through only the FPV video provides a big appreciation how the FPV Racers can fly... and the speed they fly through a course. Similar to your experience, I have less than 1 hour on True FPV and it was amazing but not productive, gave my old eyes a hard time.... but an appreciation to the FPV Pilots.

If you're looking for another challenge, try collective heli... it's hard too but in a controlling manor.
I had an RC heli before the quads came out, big plans to use it to check my rain gutters, without getting the latter out, that didn't work, now my drone works great for that, and the RC heli is sitting in it's box, in the basement....fly safe and have fun........

I'm not one to pursue something difficult/challenging simply because it's difficult/challenging. If I pursue something, it's because I have an interest in the concept itself. My first motorized aircraft was a gas powered plane back in the early 80s that was manually controlled with 2 strings that ran from the flaps to a control stick. You tilt it up to rise, down to lower, and you spin around in a circle.

I vomit when I spin. Tilt-a-whirls and Sit-and-Spins and the like were my enemies as a kid, and still are.

My parents had a friend who had a gas heli in the late 70s. It was huge and awesome and expensive. He crashed it, and the GI Joe he had in the pilot seat came flying out. It was awesome to watch. I wouldn't have one because it's too much work and not enough fun for me.
Then again, a Chinook would be awesome.

As a musician, I've already got experience compensating for delay (both intentional and not) as well as a knack for mechanical timing thanks to years of working with a drum machine (my ex drummer used to compliment me on my timing). If I know the delay of the video, and it's consistent enough, FPV isn't a problem. I have flown briefly by the ST10+'s video, but haven't tried to do it "like it pays me money" yet. Part of that is the weather delays. Part of it is still working on mastering the controls. Decades of FPS gaming helps as well.

Racing drones do interest me, mostly because their speed goes well with the guitar-based instrumentals I write.
However, I need another expensive hobby like I need another cranial cavity LOL

I’ve dabbled in FPV but mostly with safe indoor flyers. The real racing is an obsession I’m not ready to take on but that world is making tremendous progress in miniaturization of all things quad flying and viewing. It’s crazy expensive in my opinion to chase either passion and no way I can afford both. Just the battery management between all I own now is daunting so I’m sticking with creative 480 shooting over racing. (For now[emoji23])

I'm not one to pursue something difficult/challenging simply because it's difficult/challenging. If I pursue something, it's because I have an interest in the concept itself. My first motorized aircraft was a gas powered plane back in the early 80s that was manually controlled with 2 strings that ran from the flaps to a control stick. You tilt it up to rise, down to lower, and you spin around in a circle.

I vomit when I spin. Tilt-a-whirls and Sit-and-Spins and the like were my enemies as a kid, and still are.

My parents had a friend who had a gas heli in the late 70s. It was huge and awesome and expensive. He crashed it, and the GI Joe he had in the pilot seat came flying out. It was awesome to watch. I wouldn't have one because it's too much work and not enough fun for me.
Then again, a Chinook would be awesome.

As a musician, I've already got experience compensating for delay (both intentional and not) as well as a knack for mechanical timing thanks to years of working with a drum machine (my ex drummer used to compliment me on my timing). If I know the delay of the video, and it's consistent enough, FPV isn't a problem. I have flown briefly by the ST10+'s video, but haven't tried to do it "like it pays me money" yet. Part of that is the weather delays. Part of it is still working on mastering the controls. Decades of FPS gaming helps as well.

Racing drones do interest me, mostly because their speed goes well with the guitar-based instrumentals I write.
However, I need another expensive hobby like I need another cranial cavity LOL
I spent weeks building an RC airplane back in the 80s, came out perfect, everything was just right on it, it looked beautiful, the only thing wrong with it was the pilot...I crashed it the first time out. I decided that this hobby was going to get way to expensive for me, real fast. ..Now I have spent more on these drones, than I ever spent on the RC airplane..with one difference... I can fly the drones, and acutely have fun doing it, and get great video too, and they work great for checking my rain gutters, to see if they need cleaning...without using a ladder ....Fly safe and HAVE FUN !!!!

I think the ease of flying is what drives most folks into drones. While I have learned about radios and flight, I’m still not ready to tackle planes and like you, the 480 really satisfies my flight bone.

I currently use my Q500 4K for locating lost R?C airplanes near our club field. I also let my grandsons fly it when they visit. One of them is pretty hyper and I'm afraid that if I let him fly a plane, I'd end up searching for it. The drone flies slow and steady enough hat he is safe with it.

I would like to use it for other things, but I've noticed signs lie "No drones" at many events. Where are some good places to shoot where people won't get upset?

I currently use my Q500 4K for locating lost R?C airplanes near our club field. I also let my grandsons fly it when they visit. One of them is pretty hyper and I'm afraid that if I let him fly a plane, I'd end up searching for it. The drone flies slow and steady enough hat he is safe with it.

I would like to use it for other things, but I've noticed signs lie "No drones" at many events. Where are some good places to shoot where people won't get upset?

:) That's great exposing the Grandson to flying! Better than video games!!:cool:
Flying depends on your area, but I've often stopped by a Farm or Country home to ask if they'd mind allowing me to fly through their creek or hillside, and then I offer to provide them a nice arial shot of their homestead or home area. You find out quickly if they dislike drones or they're friendly. Most are friendly and the guy is curious & interested in getting one too.

My favorite entertainment sites are to hook a burley bike cargo wagon and travel down bike trails... find a old railroad bridge converted to bike trail, then fly down the river or creek area... hawks, eagles, beaver... water flows, etc. several good photo ops.
The Burley cargo is ultra light and holds everything nicely.
Bike Cargo Trailer - Bike Touring Trailers

Q500 is great for kids. It’s why I kept mine. Plus it’s relaxing to fly.

:) That's great exposing the Grandson to flying! Better than video games!!:cool:
Flying depends on your area, but I've often stopped by a Farm or Country home to ask if they'd mind allowing me to fly through their creek or hillside, and then I offer to provide them a nice arial shot of their homestead or home area. You find out quickly if they dislike drones or they're friendly. Most are friendly and the guy is curious & interested in getting one too.

My favorite entertainment sites are to hook a burley bike cargo wagon and travel down bike trails... find a old railroad bridge converted to bike trail, then fly down the river or creek area... hawks, eagles, beaver... water flows, etc. several good photo ops.

I like that idea. I had one of those that I bought pretty cheap at a garage sale but I gave it away. I'll have to look around when the sales start again in a few months.

:)

Same here, we've got a lot of great biking trails along rivers and streams and I love go to shoot in these areas and like you found the need to cary more gear. Here is my answer to getting off road on a bike, I can swintch out the cradle and mount a large plastic box, cooler or whatever.:)

Bike Rig.JPG

Same here, we've got a lot of great biking trails along rivers and streams and I love go to shoot in these areas and like you found the need to cary more gear. Here is my answer to getting off road on a bike, I can swintch out the cradle and mount a large plastic box, cooler or whatever.:)

That one I've seen with a tent sack on it... who makes that one? Always like extra options! :p

On the Burley Nomad, it also has a top rack the can lay flat (see lower thumbnails on web page link), that can mount Yuneec pak or use as a flat platform to take off if muddy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss