Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

B4UFly Getting a Make Over

The News forum is captioned with; “Here you can chat about the latest in Yuneec products.” To me it makes it a Yuneec news specific forum.

As one that is guilty of taking a thread topic off on a tangent I try not to be guilty of starting thread topics in the wrong forum as well. Heaven forbid, I don’t want to be chastised for being off topic and starting threads in the wrong forum at the same time[emoji22][emoji6]

You may be right. I feel that they are a boat with 12 oars pulling in different directions.

From a model aviation perspective I totally agree with you. What they have been doing does align with a corporate continuity perspective.

Look at the folks flying at these fields, flying their helicopter upside down, airplanes hovering vertically like a helicopter and they call that a sport?

For that have not been exposed to 3D aerobatics it may appear a travesty, but for many that became bored with doing the same ol’, same ol’, everyday for decades it certainly put a lot of fun and sport back into the activity.

Scale flyers put tons of effort into flying in a manner that appears to match how the full scale version was flown, which generally includes helicopters, scale aerobatics flyers try to fly geometrically perfect maneuvers, glider flyers try to maximize their time and distance aloft utilizing thermal and wind activity. But any of them can find a need to break out of the regimented mold to have some pure, unadulterated fun flying on the backside of the power curve or in high alpha maneuvers. It’s high risk for the aircraft so it’s not for those that will go bankrupt replacing a model after a crash. You can afford to play or avoid participation, there’s no in between.

It’s a lot more difficult to do well than some may think, and regenerates a thrill for flying for many, including myself. There’s some pretty big money in it for those that fly competitively as well.

It’s another one of those areas the AMA and FOG flying clubs ignored or discouraged for a long time.

ehhhh, sorry not a fan. Now if dropping fake bombs and shooting fake missiles at model tanks, buildings and Godzilla,? that I would do in a heart beat.

Last edited:
From a model aviation perspective I totally agree with you. What they have been doing does align with a corporate continuity perspective.

I will say that they one thing they do have as a singular goal is to become the voice of all things recreational sUAS. But they keep running form new girlfriend to new girlfriend and end up making nobody happy. My main gripe is that they failed at the start drawing a clear line between model airplanes and the new multirotor hobby. I love them both, but they have nothing in common aside from using RF to control the machine.

Reactions: PatR
Look at the folks flying at these fields, flying their helicopter upside down, airplanes hovering vertically like a helicopter and they call that a sport?

Man, I am right there with you. I have never been a fan of 3D anything. Most if it is really just stick banging and not crashing. I really hate seeing people hovering things like a warbird of Cub. My RC flying tends towards scale like flying and precision aerobatics, along with a love of soaring.

3D is popular, but it is not the mainstream for most guys But it is an attention getter. ANd as Pat says, harder to do than it looks. It's just not my cup of tea.

Reactions: AH-1G
The knife edge spins and harrier type maneuvers seen in full scale aerobatics were derived from the 3D flight modeling community.

When done right there’s little stick banging involved, nor any gyros, it’s all well planned, highly coordinated requiring the “pilot” to have developed a complete understanding of their aircraft and equipment. It’s also an extreme stress test of the equipment, causing considerable improvements in flight control linkage and servos. It’s hard to argue that giant scale 3D has not expanded the limits of radio controlled flight. Who knows when coreless and digital servos or multi servo inputs for individual flight surfaces in receivers would have come about if not for 3D aerobatics? Let’s not forget exponential stick functionality, or forcing more than a few plank flyers to learn the left stick could also move sideways.

More than once during prototype testing I’ve had wing tubes, hinges, servos, and servo linkage fail which caused destruction of the aircraft. There’s nothing like the feeling you have when one of the servos in a matched pair driving separate elevator halves decides to reverse direction in the middle of a flight, or a carbon wing tube snaps in the middle of the fuselage. Each failure induced product improvements and manufacturing requirements that all eventually benefitted from.

It should be mentioned that soaring and helicopters have also been a driver for expanded radio system development. How about that dynamic soaring?[emoji6]

Last edited:
The knife edge spins and harrier type maneuvers seen in full scale aerobatics were derived from the 3D flight modeling community.

Are you talking IAC or airshow type flying?

When done right there’s little stick banging involved, nor any gyros, it’s all well planned, highly coordinated requiring the “pilot” to have developed a complete understanding of their aircraft and equipment. It’s also an extreme stress test of the equipment, causing considerable improvements in flight control linkage and servos.

True enough, you watch Somenzini, Jesky, Hyde, or Shulman fly 3D and it is amazing. I will never dispute the skill required to do it well. And very few are using gyros, especially in competition. But it's just not a type of flying that attracts me.There's just something wrong with seeing a 60% Cub hanging on the prop. ?

I still prefer precision aerobatics of IMAC or pattern over 3D. Same with helis, I leaned towards the precision of F3C over 3D. FWIW I was a Freestyle (3D) judge at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout so I am fairly well acquainted with the expertise of these pilots from a front row seat. But the average guy at my flying fields doing more stick banging than what the really good guys are doing. The good guys are flying precision 3D if that makes sense. They start and stop on a precise heading and

Freestyle aerobatics in helis is now being competed on the World Level with F3N. F3M is the FAI equivalent of IMAC. AFAIK they are not doing Freestyle yet. IMAC is doing freestyle a bit more now, but not every contest.

DS?? Oh man, those guys are pushing it. Flown it a bit, but unless you have the right stuff you risk losing a plane big time. Done a lot of slope racing. That's a kick too.

Are you talking IAC or airshow type flying?

True enough, you watch Somenzini, Jesky, Hyde, or Shulman fly 3D and it is amazing. I will never dispute the skill required to do it well. And very few are using gyros, especially in competition. But it's just not a type of flying that attracts me.There's just something wrong with seeing a 60% Cub hanging on the prop. ?

I still prefer precision aerobatics of IMAC or pattern over 3D. Same with helis, I leaned towards the precision of F3C over 3D. FWIW I was a Freestyle (3D) judge at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout so I am fairly well acquainted with the expertise of these pilots from a front row seat. But the average guy at my flying fields doing more stick banging than what the really good guys are doing. The good guys are flying precision 3D if that makes sense. They start and stop on a precise heading and

Freestyle aerobatics in helis is now being competed on the World Level with F3N. F3M is the FAI equivalent of IMAC. AFAIK they are not doing Freestyle yet. IMAC is doing freestyle a bit more now, but not every contest.

DS?? Oh man, those guys are pushing it. Flown it a bit, but unless you have the right stuff you risk losing a plane big time. Done a lot of slope racing. That's a kick too.
Are you familiar with Bob Violet Jets?

Are you familiar with Bob Violet Jets?

Yep. He makes some amazing models. He goes back to the ducted fan days. Jets have gone BIG now. Here's a friend of mine with his latest creation. Tomahawk F-86 Saber. Jets are one thing I have not done. I get dizzy just looking inside one at the wiring, plumbing, etc. Too much tinkering for me. But they are impressive!!

Attachments

• Peter.jpg
    Peter.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 7
Yep. He makes some amazing models. He goes back to the ducted fan days. Jets have gone BIG now. Here's a friend of mine with his latest creation. Tomahawk F-86 Saber. Jets are one thing I have not done. I get dizzy just looking inside one at the wiring, plumbing, etc. Too much tinkering for me. But they are impressive!!
is that the 63"?

Nope ;)

3.1 meter span, 3 meters long, 45 pounds. Then you add in another $3K for the turbine:

Then all the flight controls stuff, retracts, ECU, etc. etc.

And this is one of their cheaper models. They have some that can run $17K just for the bare airframe.

I was referring to full scale airshows where some started flying RC type 3D maneuvers some years ago.

3D with a 60% Cub was a Hemple thing. Never much cared for that myself but I can tell ya he could handle a Hunter UAV with equal or greater skill and precision. It inspired awe. Having a second to two second latency between what was happening and signal response and how well he dealt with it makes me chuckle reading about MR flyers complaining about 100ms or 200ms latency.

As for 3D RC, if you can’t hold a heading and altitude, or plan a maneuver flow you don’t have it together yet. Like anything else it takes work to become good at it.

Bob's shop is right around the corner from me. Been to his shop, but that was back in 2005 2006?
Been a while.

Reactions: Phaedrus
I was referring to full scale airshows where some started flying RC type 3D maneuvers some years ago.

I know Wayne Handley was doing some cool 3D type stuff with his turbine Raven.

3D with a 60% Cub was a Hemple thing. Never much cared for that myself but I can tell ya he could handle a Hunter UAV with equal or greater skill and precision. It inspired awe.

Bill is one of the best pilots I have ever known. Met him when he was still a kid working in the Hobby Barn in Tucson. I too am in awe of him. I know some guys on the engineering side of UAV that have said great things about him. Chip, not so much.

We have a guy with a Hemple Triplane that he hovers. That's wrong, just wrong!!!

Having a second to two second latency between what was happening and signal response and how well he dealt with it makes me chuckle reading about MR flyers complaining about 100ms or 200ms latency.

Yep. RC heli guys got into the latency trap for a while. Human reaction time is multiples of the latency of a modern 2.4 radio.

As for 3D RC, if you can’t hold a heading and altitude, or plan a maneuver flow you don’t have it together yet. Like anything else it takes work to become good at it.

Yep, those are the guys I'm talking about. Let's face it, that's most of them. But when you see a great pilot do it, it is very cool.

We have one of own here on the forum that flew for Bob.
I won't mention who he is, that'll be up to him.
He was one of the best pilots bob ever had and more.

3D with a 60% Cub was a Hemple thing. Never much cared for that myself but I can tell ya he could handle a Hunter UAV with equal or greater skill and precision. It inspired awe. Having a second to two second latency between what was happening and signal response and how well he dealt with it makes me chuckle reading about MR flyers complaining about 100ms or 200ms latency.

I was at a model airshow in Greenville (Joe Nall) in early 2000s and there was a half time demo with Matt Chapman flying his full scale Cap and Somenzini flying a half scale model. Matt was positioned out several hundred yards from the field and QuiQui was flying over the field. Some of the maneuvers you would swear they were two of a kind if you were positioned at center field. One of the coolest airshow acts I have ever seen, and I have my share.

The News forum is captioned with; “Here you can chat about the latest in Yuneec products.” To me it makes it a Yuneec news specific forum.

As one that is guilty of taking a thread topic off on a tangent I try not to be guilty of starting thread topics in the wrong forum as well. Heaven forbid, I don’t want to be chastised for being off topic and starting threads in the wrong forum at the same time[emoji22][emoji6]

Check the "new" caption under the News forum!

You can now feel safe posting "News" there.

• Love
Reactions: PatR and AH-1G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval