Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

B4UFLY Question.

.......Other than the official FAA info, got any suggestions for where to find more of a Cliff's Notes version to deciphering all the info on one of those charts?.........

Look at the Chart Legend.

Well, it worked for me ;). Other than the official FAA info, got any suggestions for where to find more of a Cliff's Notes version to deciphering all the info on one of those charts? I happen to live just across the highway from our local airport, it's tiny and not used a lot, although it can get busy at times, especially during fire season :rolleyes:. No control tower, just a rotating beacon, AFAIK. Actual distance to the runway is probably 1/4 mile, but it's not uncommon for planes to fly more or less over our house on the downwind leg of the approach. I'm pretty sure I haven't encroached on restricted airspace, but it would be nice to know for sure, and to make sure I'm not breaking any other rules. Thanks.

Dave

You just opened a can of worms;) As the FAA has designated all of us as "pilots" we bear the same responsibility to develop our knowledge base as full scale pilots. Didn't use to be that way but times have changed. Because of that we need to reference the same FAA publications full scale pilots do as all the information we need is found there. Provided are links to PDF's that create the foundation for your personal aviation knowledge library. I hope you find this post helpful.

The following link takes you to the Airman's Information Manual (AIM) in PDF form for ease of download.https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim.pdf This manual provides a tremendous amount of recommended practices, and about how operations around airports are conducted. You will find a pretty informative section about airport traffic patterns, where and how they are flown, etc., that will assist establishing where manned traffic will most likely be encountered.

This next link provides a PDF of the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, which is the initial student pilot training reference. Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge Much of what we need to learn is referenced in this book, along with a lot we don't need to learn, at least for now.

This link explains and notes Special use Airspace areas, areas we need to be aware of and avoid pretty much all the time. Special Use Airspace & Air Traffic Control Assigned Airspace

This next link is the FAA's Remote Pilot sUAS Guide and provides a good outline of what today's remote operator needs to learn and know. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Now for charts. This link takes you to the FAA Chart Users Guide page. FAA Aeronautical Chart User's Guide It contains several links to FAA Chart Users Guide and Chart Supplement publications. The textbook for understanding aeronautical charts is at the bottom of the page. Once again it is a PDF format that allows for download. It's 131 pages long and I don't know of a more comprehensive source for understanding aeronautical charts.

For general regulations we have the Federal Aviation Regulations, or FAR's: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

This link puts you at an FAA general information page that provides links to all kinds of fun reading. Handbooks & Manuals For those that truly want to learn it's worth putting some time into exploring the various links as they either contain valuable information or provide more links to important information. You have to have more than a little "want to". We might view today's model aviation environment as one that's similar to obtaining a college degree. It involves a lot of time, effort, research, and study to learn what is needed to learn and understand regulations and safe practices. Much like the medical, engineering, or law professions it's an education that continues to evolve for as long as we choose to participate in this hobby/profession.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cosmoarts