Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery adapter for the Typhoon-H on the way

Well I am good to go now.

26704333914_4fdf99694a_b.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with making these is, the only way to get the needed connector is you would need to remove it from your charger like I did. Wasn't that easy either.

I can't wait for a better faster charge/discharge for my H batteries

If you charge it faster wont that shorten the life of it? Still a relative newb but that is my understanding. The faster you charge them, the faster they don't hold a charge as much.

I just want a second charger to charge two at a time. I personally won't be charging them all the time, just before a flight outing.

Dennis, you beat me to the punch. Would you be willing to share (PM if need be) the STL files for the connector holder for use in my MB 2?

If you charge it faster wont that shorten the life of it? Still a relative newb but that is my understanding. The faster you charge them, the faster they don't hold a charge as much.

There are thousands of pages of RC forum posts about this. So I will leave out a lot of the details.

Shortening the life is of the least severity when charging lipos faster. If you choose to go down this road, you need to know the risks. The risks are, starting with the most severe;

1. Explosion and/or fire. (Really! Google "Lipo bag", then buy one!).

2. "Puffy Lipo" (again, no BS) the battery will actually blow up like a balloon. They will sometimes work after this, sometimes not. Either way, it's not safe to continue using them.

3. Battery won't hold charge any more.

4. Decrease life span.

Lipos are given a "C" rating. The higher the C rating, the higher the discharge (and charge) rate. While this is my first drone, I've been running RC cars for over 30 years. My 2200kv Monster Mamba equipped E-Revo can draw over 300amps depending on gearing, tire diameter, esc programming, etc. The bad new is that the >40C batteries required to run it cost more. The good news is that they can be charged very quickly. While I don't know the rating on our Typhoon batteries, I believe them to by low (relative to above). From what I've read, the amp draw on most drones is pretty low. The manufacturers aren't going to spend the money on a hi discharge battery if they don't have to. The batteries in the H are probably <$30 batteries if not for the proprietary shape and connector (all electronics company's do this).

What this means to us is that there will be some trial and costly error in determining the optimal charge rate for this battery. Some members will ultimately kill a battery of two. However, many of us are willing to shorten the life a little to gain significant reducion in charge time.

If you choose to go down the DIY road;

1. Buy a lipo bag!

2. NEVER LEAVE A CHARGING LIPO UNATTENDED!

Consider this though; It will cost money to invest in a good charger, power supply, Lipo bags, and charge adapters (when/if available). This money may be better spent on more batteries, especially when the price drops.

Since I have more beer to drink today, I will wrap this up by asking the experienced drone/battery folks out there to share their charge settings based on their experiences so far.

Its still missing a way to hold it together. I was thinking maybe a screw in the middle.

Have ordered some male Deans plugs which I will cut apart and some PCB spring loaded power pins from Mouser. Next step is to measure the spacing and design a plug which will be 3D printed. This way, I won't have to disable my factory charger. If it works, I'll share the pin types and the plug design.

There are thousands of pages of RC forum posts about this. So I will leave out a lot of the details.

Shortening the life is of the least severity when charging lipos faster. If you choose to go down this road, you need to know the risks. The risks are, starting with the most severe;

1. Explosion and/or fire. (Really! Google "Lipo bag", then buy one!).

2. "Puffy Lipo" (again, no BS) the battery will actually blow up like a balloon. They will sometimes work after this, sometimes not. Either way, it's not safe to continue using them.

3. Battery won't hold charge any more.

4. Decrease life span.

Lipos are given a "C" rating. The higher the C rating, the higher the discharge (and charge) rate. While this is my first drone, I've been running RC cars for over 30 years. My 2200kv Monster Mamba equipped E-Revo can draw over 300amps depending on gearing, tire diameter, esc programming, etc. The bad new is that the >40C batteries required to run it cost more. The good news is that they can be charged very quickly. While I don't know the rating on our Typhoon batteries, I believe them to by low (relative to above). From what I've read, the amp draw on most drones is pretty low. The manufacturers aren't going to spend the money on a hi discharge battery if they don't have to. The batteries in the H are probably <$30 batteries if not for the proprietary shape and connector (all electronics company's do this).

What this means to us is that there will be some trial and costly error in determining the optimal charge rate for this battery. Some members will ultimately kill a battery of two. However, many of us are willing to shorten the life a little to gain significant reducion in charge time.

If you choose to go down the DIY road;

1. Buy a lipo bag!

2. NEVER LEAVE A CHARGING LIPO UNATTENDED!

Consider this though; It will cost money to invest in a good charger, power supply, Lipo bags, and charge adapters (when/if available). This money may be better spent on more batteries, especially when the price drops.

Since I have more beer to drink today, I will wrap this up by asking the experienced drone/battery folks out there to share their charge settings based on their experiences so far.

Charging at a rate of not more than 1C is the recommended amount on the batteries I use for my copters which are all thunderpower and kypom. The H batteries are very likely not of the same standard and I would be hesitant to charge at that rate until proven.

Charging at a rate of not more than 1C is the recommended amount on the batteries I use for my copters which are all thunderpower and kypom. The H batteries are very likely not of the same standard and I would be hesitant to charge at that rate until proven.

The Internal resistance of the 'H' batteries seems quite high. The Batteries will not accept a charge higher than 3.3Amps. 1C is 5.8Amps. Even with the fast charge lead the batteries are still taking 90 minutes to charge (from 80% discharged). I was hoping to charge these things at 3C (30 minutes) - not possible.

The Internal resistance of the 'H' batteries seems quite high. The Batteries will not accept a charge higher than 3.3Amps. 1C is 5.8Amps. Even with the fast charge lead the batteries are still taking 90 minutes to charge (from 80% discharged). I was hoping to charge these things at 3C (30 minutes) - not possible.
Andy, how do you know this? Have you measured the IR of your particular Typhoon batteries. Your statement "The Batteries will not accept a charge higher than 3.3Amps", how did you arrive at this?

I'd be shocked shocked shocked if the Yuneec battery was of such poor quality that it couldn't even accept a charge at 1C, which is generally considered as standard and safe in the RC community. I understand that the factory supplied charger seems to be charging at about 0.5C, but I was under the impression that was to keep new users out of trouble and maybe extend battery life. If what you say is true, then Yuneec will deserve a thorough SM smackdown in the future. I of course can't do any testing until I have some sort of adapter in hand (although I do have two batteries sitting right here).

Andy, how do you know this? Have you measured the IR of your particular Typhoon batteries. Your statement "The Batteries will not accept a charge higher than 3.3Amps", how did you arrive at this?

I'd be shocked shocked shocked if the Yuneec battery was of such poor quality that it couldn't even accept a charge at 1C, which is generally considered as standard and safe in the RC community. I understand that the factory supplied charger seems to be charging at about 0.5C, but I was under the impression that was to keep new users out of trouble and maybe extend battery life. If what you say is true, then Yuneec will deserve a thorough SM smackdown in the future. I of course can't do any testing until I have some sort of adapter in hand (although I do have two batteries sitting right here).

Im going to reserve judgement on this until somebody else has tried it but I can't get more than 3.3 Amps into these batteries.

Well I am good to go now.
Hey Dennis, not sure if your charger has the capability but if possible, could you please measure the IR of however many Typhoon-H batteries you have and post back here? Could you also report back if you are able to charge at least at 1C? Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430