Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery adapter for the Typhoon-H on the way

This.

27294274996_f6d05d14f7_b.jpg

Have you managed to get a 1C (or above) charge into these batteries?

Have ordered some male Deans plugs which I will cut apart and some PCB spring loaded power pins from Mouser. Next step is to measure the spacing and design a plug which will be 3D printed. This way, I won't have to disable my factory charger. If it works, I'll share the pin types and the plug design.

Sounds like a good plan. Please share your results. Thanks.

OK. I cut apart a Deans connector and made an adapter. The single flat connector on one side of the 3 pin connectors in GND. The verticle flat on the opposite is the PWR. I connected a fully charged H battery to my LiPo ESR Meter (great tool!) and the pack read 20.1 milli Ohms (or ~5 milli Ohms per cell). Plugging that and the pack capacity into the Lipoly Objective Performance Calculation Tool (Lipoly Objective Performance Calculation Tool REV5.xlsx) as I haven't yet made an adapter for the cell measurements, you get a calculated maximum current draw of 80A (~15C). This seams reasonable given the design of the H and the battery load. Given this, I personnaly see no issue in using the standard safe LiPo charge rate of 1C.

P.S. My Mouser PCB spring power pins have shipped. Next step is to design a plug. More to follow.

Last edited:
The Internal resistance of the 'H' batteries seems quite high. The Batteries will not accept a charge higher than 3.3Amps. 1C is 5.8Amps. Even with the fast charge lead the batteries are still taking 90 minutes to charge (from 80% discharged). I was hoping to charge these things at 3C (30 minutes) - not possible.

I think this thread is about to evolve into a "How to put a higher C rated battery back into the Typhoon H battery case" thread.

I think this thread is about to evolve into a "How to put a higher C rated battery back into the Typhoon H battery case" thread.

I think it is about to evolve into "how to put a normal priced lipo in that can multi C charge"!!!

For a reference point. My Typhoon Q batteries have an average internal resistance of 2.9 mohms on the 4 batteries I tested. I charge them at 2C on my iCharger.

Sorry - Post #37 is incorrect. I borrowed a 100 watt Charger only to find out that it was a 50 Watt Charger. The Charger was limiting the charge.........Sorry, Sorry, Sorry
That sound you hear is me pulling my hair out! ;)

Sorry - Post #37 is incorrect. I borrowed a 100 watt Charger only to find out that it was a 50 Watt Charger. The Charger was limiting the charge.........Sorry, Sorry, Sorry
That was why I asked. Sounded familiar. I've got some pretty large airplane batteries and have to remember to charge them on my higher output chargers.

the stock charger take far too long, we are back in the dark ages again! :)

i am so tempted to break open my battery and make an adapter to put a normal lipo in this thing.

any progress on aftermarket adaptors yet as i need 2 for my charger

any progress on aftermarket adaptors yet as i need 2 for my charger
About a week ago I messaged Frank at Carolina Dronz on his FB page. I asked him (for the 5th time) when he would have his adapters ready. He told me they are in the process of being mass produced and would have them in "about two weeks." Translation: He will most likely have them by the end of June or 1st week in July. o_O

Reactions: anthony h-ellary
About a week ago I messaged Frank at Carolina Dronz on his FB page. I asked him (for the 5th time) when he would have his adapters ready. He told me they are in the process of being mass produced and would have them in "about two weeks." Translation: He will most likely have them by the end of June or 1st week in July. o_O
that sort of fits in when i will be getting my pro version

the stock charger take far too long, we are back in the dark ages again! :)

i am so tempted to break open my battery and make an adapter to put a normal lipo in this thing.

A few of us here are making an adapter/frame for using other batteries. I'm slowly getting around to it, but not top priority at the moment. The battery I'm going to try is the Turnigy Graphene 6.6A 15c. It's about 10mm+ too long, but for testing purposes not a big deal. It only weighs about 30g more than the stock before adding the frame/adapter which shouldn't weigh too much.

No need to tear apart a good battery if you have access to a 3d printer. Be patient, someone will come out with something.

Reactions: raptorheli2
I have access to a printer so i am waiting, i have 2 stock batts but will not be buying more, will wait on this.

OK. I cut apart a Deans connector and made an adapter. The single flat connector on one side of the 3 pin connectors in GND. The verticle flat on the opposite is the PWR. I connected a fully charged H battery to my LiPo ESR Meter (great tool!) and the pack read 20.1 milli Ohms (or ~5 milli Ohms per cell). Plugging that and the pack capacity into the Lipoly Objective Performance Calculation Tool (Lipoly Objective Performance Calculation Tool REV5.xlsx) as I haven't yet made an adapter for the cell measurements, you get a calculated maximum current draw of 80A (~15C). This seams reasonable given the design of the H and the battery load. Given this, I personnaly see no issue in using the standard safe LiPo charge rate of 1C.

P.S. My Mouser PCB spring power pins have shipped. Next step is to design a plug. More to follow.
How is your H battery plug project progressing? It appears to me that using 1.5 male Deans connectors to access the ground and positive connections would not be too difficult, however obtaining, aligning and fabricating the three spring loaded pins used to access individual cells for balancing could present more of a challenge. Good luck and thanks for your efforts.

K0OEN

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech