Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Charging (Typhoon H +) DY5 Charger

Reaction score
Winter months here in Kansas mean my Typhoon H Plus is going to need to have it's batteries charged in "storage" mode. I'm new to the Yuneec DY5 Battery Charger I just purchased and received. It seems simple enough but I have a couple of questions about the "Storage" function. How long do I let it sit on the charger when reducing cells for storage? Will it automatically stop at the right charge? Do I leave the batteries in the charger and the charger periodically runs to keep them at the proper storage level? Or do I remove them when the process is complete? If so, will they need to be periodically charged again to the storage level and approximately how long between charges would that be? I know I'm displaying my ignorance. :rolleyes:

The instructions, such as they are, that came with the charger, don't answer these questions and I didn't find the info I need on YouTube. I could use some advice from an "expert" out there, as I'm a newbie.

Also, while I can charge my ST16 via the DY5 usb port, I don't see a functionality for putting the controller's battery in a storage mode, so I'm assuming that's not a concern, other than making sure it's gets a full charge before the next flight when the weather is warmer?

Finally, what about something called cell "balancing?" Is there a separate device for that and is it necessary, as this double charger isn't cheap and I wasn't planning on another purchase.
I know its a lot of questions.

Thanks in advance.

Winter months here in Kansas mean my Typhoon H Plus is going to need to have it's batteries charged in "storage" mode. I'm new to the Yuneec DY5 Battery Charger I just purchased and received. It seems simple enough but I have a couple of questions about the "Storage" function. How long do I let it sit on the charger when reducing cells for storage? Will it automatically stop at the right charge? Do I leave the batteries in the charger and the charger periodically runs to keep them at the proper storage level? Or do I remove them when the process is complete? If so, will they need to be periodically charged again to the storage level and approximately how long between charges would that be? I know I'm displaying my ignorance. :rolleyes:

The DY-5 should stop at the correct storage level, when using the storage charge feature. However, the discharging process of the storage charge function will be much slower than the charging process... as much as 4 - 6X longer. So bringing down an unused fully charged battery can potentially take longer than 4 to 5 hours.

You do not want to leave the batteries on the charger for an extended amount of time after either the standard charge cycle or the storage discharge cycle is completed.

If you do find you regularly are not flying your batteries for the full flight time, you may want to use the aircraft to bring them down to your normal percentage for landing. Certainly will take less time than 5 hours per battery. Some pilots use a 12V headlamp for the same purpose.

Finally, what about something called cell "balancing?" Is there a separate device for that and is it necessary, as this double charger isn't cheap and I wasn't planning on another purchase.
I know its a lot of questions.

With the DY-5 charger, the charger automatically does balance charging... nothing additional needed.

Also, while I can charge my ST16 via the DY5 usb port, I don't see a functionality for putting the controller's battery in a storage mode, so I'm assuming that's not a concern, other than making sure it's gets a full charge before the next flight when the weather is warmer?

The charging needs are different than the LiPo batteries above... the ST-16S uses a single cell Lithium Ion battery... no need to balance, and can be charged back up to a fully charged state and stored that way. No storage charging needed.

Reactions: Ovalha
Hey @Merhlin,

Welcome to the world of Yuneec!

Eagle touched on basically everything. Except one... what do you use to actual store your batteries, regardless of how often you use them?

Since you are saying the Kansas winters are much colder and snowier than ours up here in the upper Midwest, you may forget about them. (Outta sight, outta mind.). Make sure they are kept safely.

Read up in the care of LiPo batteries if you have not already. I believe there is a help thread for just that; may even talk about storage containers.

One thing to remember... venting is a must in case something goes wrong.

Good luck!

Jeff

P.S. keep flying unless you are physically unable. Those crisp, cool (ok, colder) days are just as fun, albeit maybe a bit shorter on flight times.

Hey @Merhlin,

Welcome to the world of Yuneec!

Eagle touched on basically everything. Except one... what do you use to actual store your batteries, regardless of how often you use them?

Since you are saying the Kansas winters are much colder and snowier than ours up here in the upper Midwest, you may forget about them. (Outta sight, outta mind.). Make sure they are kept safely.

Read up in the care of LiPo batteries if you have not already. I believe there is a help thread for just that; may even talk about storage containers.

One thing to remember... venting is a must in case something goes wrong.

Good luck!

Jeff

P.S. keep flying unless you are physically unable. Those crisp, cool (ok, colder) days are just as fun, albeit maybe a bit shorter on flight times.

Thanks for responding. I was going to keep them in my "back-pack" bag that serves as great storage and protection for the drone. (That's how it was sitting in storage for who knows how long, before I purchased it at BestBuy.) If that's dangerous that's good to know.

Two other things. The "program notes" ;) that come with the beast say (if I recall correctly) not to fly under 32 degrees. I realize that's an approximation. I saw at least one video on YT where the H + was test flown below that temperature. I don't want to push my luck. Thoughts on that anyone?

But perhaps the biggest reason for not flying much in winter months here in south central Ks, is that it's a very drab time of the year. Trees have no leaves much less any color. Grass is brown. Everything is monochrome. We don't typically get much snow here, which might provide some interest. I suppose I should try a winter flight, just to see if my observations on "drabness" and dull hold true in reality.

FWIW, this is my charge set up for my H+ packs.
4-port 300W/port charger
1500W 24-volt PS
I can charge 4 packs at 1C in just under an hour.
I use an iPad charger for the ST-16s

Attachments

• IMG_4872.jpg
    IMG_4872.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4874.jpg
    IMG_4874.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 32
When I have a Plus battery that is charged and I want to get it to storage level I fly it down to around 48 or 49% indicated via the screen on the ST-16s. Then when I connect it to my charger and select 'storage', is is very close to that level and sometimes takes as little as a minute to hit storage and a few times it is bang on the money.

Also, keep in mind that the Plus Flight batteries are LiPo HV - they must be at storage level if they are going to sit for any length of time, However - the ST-16s battery is lithium-Ion, these types of batteries can and should be stored fully charged.

It's weird. I have used lithium ion packs for years. I have always been told to store at less than full charge. This is the first forum I have seen a full charge recommended for storage of Li-Ion packs. I have also seen the couple of posts from some camera companies mentioning full charge storage.

Then I do research and most sources say to use a storage charge.

Although it’s best to fully charge a battery before use, prior to storage of lithium-ion batteries it’s harmful to fully discharge them. The best battery manufacturers store lithium batteries at around 60 degrees and at a 40% charge level. The 40 percent charge allows a stable condition even if it means a level of self-discharge. Some reserve charge is necessary to keep a battery and its protection circuit operational during long periods of storage

5 Best Storage and Charging Tips for Extending Lifespan Of Lithium Ion Batteries in Home, Business

Thanks for responding. I was going to keep them in my "back-pack" bag that serves as great storage and protection for the drone. (That's how it was sitting in storage for who knows how long, before I purchased it at BestBuy.) If that's dangerous that's good to know.

Two other things. The "program notes" ;) that come with the beast say (if I recall correctly) not to fly under 32 degrees. I realize that's an approximation. I saw at least one video on YT where the H + was test flown below that temperature. I don't want to push my luck. Thoughts on that anyone?

But perhaps the biggest reason for not flying much in winter months here in south central Ks, is that it's a very drab time of the year. Trees have no leaves much less any color. Grass is brown. Everything is monochrome. We don't typically get much snow here, which might provide some interest. I suppose I should try a winter flight, just to see if my observations on "drabness" and dull hold true in reality.

Never leave in anything combustible unless under supervision.

Many of us store in LiPo bags or steel ammo boxes. Warning: drill vent holes in those ammo boxes. Should something go wrong, the gases MUST be able to escape, relieving any pressure.

As for “fear” I would rather call it “an awareness, appreciation, and respect” as the the proper care and handling.

Jeff

Never leave in anything combustible unless under supervision.

Many of us store in LiPo bags or steel ammo boxes. Warning: drill vent holes in those ammo boxes. Should something go wrong, the gases MUST be able to escape, relieving any pressure.

As for “fear” I would rather call it “an awareness, appreciation, and respect” as the the proper care and handling.

Jeff

I purchased a "fireproof" bag on Amazon (which arrives tomorrow) to keep the batteries in (and perhaps even charge in if that will work) and I won't be storing my batteries in the drone case anymore. Sounds like, if one just uses common sense, pays attention to the charging and discharging process, don't attempt to charge while the battery is still warm, etc. the chances of having a problem are relatively low. I do think that a great deal more might be said in this regard in the owners manual.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Lipos today are better than when they first came out. Many fires in the early days were caused by people charing lipos using NiMH/NiCAD chargers, which is a bad thing.

I agree, just using some common sense goes a long way. Generally the most dangerous time is during charging, and this is why you should NEVER charge a pack unattended. The next most dangerous thing is using damaged packs. Physically distorted, bent, banged up , etc. Be careful. And sorry to say, a puffed lipo is a bad thing.

When I have a Plus battery that is charged and I want to get it to storage level I fly it down to around 48 or 49% indicated via the screen on the ST-16s. Then when I connect it to my charger and select 'storage', is is very close to that level and sometimes takes as little as a minute to hit storage and a few times it is bang on the money.

Also, keep in mind that the Plus Flight batteries are LiPo HV - they must be at storage level if they are going to sit for any length of time, However - the ST-16s battery is lithium-Ion, these types of batteries can and should be stored fully charged.

I can confirm what Ty Pilot is saying in that when flying the TH+, if you stop your flight between 46-48% of the remaining battery (according to the ST16s display), when you put them back into the DY5 charger, the batteries will most likely not need to discharge or charge and be perfect for storage. This point in your flight times should give you between 14-18 minutes of flight time per battery. Of course this time frame is dependent on ambient temperatures as well.

I purchased a "fireproof" bag on Amazon (which arrives tomorrow) to keep the batteries in (and perhaps even charge in if that will work) and I won't be storing my batteries in the drone case anymore. Sounds like, if one just uses common sense, pays attention to the charging and discharging process, don't attempt to charge while the battery is still warm, etc. the chances of having a problem are relatively low. I do think that a great deal more might be said in this regard in the owners manual.
Might be worth buying a few bags, I've seen people with a bag full of LiPo batteries, which could be major if anything went wrong, I only keep one or two in a bag.

Yeah. Good point. I currently only have two batteries. Another battery is in my near future and perhaps one bag per battery from here on makes more sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval