Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery lifespan?

Reaction score
Hi, which has the biggest impact on the H batteries lifespan? Age or nbr om charges/discharges? I have 3 Yuneec original and one Giffi 8050mA. They are all almost 3 years now and none is yet puffing or drained/flewn under 14.5.

Hi, which has the biggest impact on the H batteries lifespan? Age or nbr om charges/discharges? I have 3 Yuneec original and one Giffi 8050mA. They are all almost 3 years now and none is yet puffing or drained/flewn under 14.5.
Storage I would say is one of the biggest, not letting go to battery warnings, keeping it at a reasonable temperature, and returning battery to storage charge and balancing of cells, a facility to check internal resistance too, all help prolong it. If you are getting good times etc after that length of time then you must be doing something right, but we all need to be vigilant of tell tale signs like bulging and rapid voltage drop etc.

Reactions: Steve Carr
From the experts here, I have learned that IR tells all, because all the other symptoms we see (puffing, rapid voltage drops), are directly tied to IR levels.

One thing we need to find out is. Have you been using them for three years or is that just the manufacturer date?

IR is the best diagnostic tool coupled with loss of capacity with time.
To me the single biggest battery killer is over discharge. 80% of capacity is the max to prevent damage to the cells. Go beyond that and you are causing harm that will negatively impact the life of the pack.
Trying eek out the very last minute of charge is a cell killer.
This is why I always use chargers that allow me to monitor cell IR and to know how much I put back into the pack.
For an H+ 5,250 mAh pack 4,200 mAh capacity on charge is max.
For a 5,400 H pack 4,320 is your target max.

After that storage at full charge is the next biggest killer.

Reactions: Steve Carr and PatR
IR is the best diagnostic tool coupled with loss of capacity with time.
To me the single biggest battery killer is over discharge. 80% of capacity is the max to prevent damage to the cells. Go beyond that and you are causing harm that will negatively impact the life of the pack.
Trying eek out the very last minute of charge is a cell killer.
This is why I always use chargers that allow me to monitor cell IR and to know how much I put back into the pack.
For an H+ 5,250 mAh pack 4,200 mAh capacity on charge is max.
For a 5,400 H pack 4,320 is your target max.

After that storage at full charge is the next biggest killer.
On social media pages, the abuse some have done even with a couple of charges, the ageing process hadn't even started, full charged for weeks I've read.

From the experts here, I have learned that IR tells all, because all the other symptoms we see (puffing, rapid voltage drops), are directly tied to IR levels.
It would be interesting to see how many people just use the OEM charger, probably be quite a few, so for those, they are oblivious and are non the wiser or post on Facebook etc their problems.

On social media pages, the abuse some have done even with a couple of charges, the ageing process hadn't even started, full charged for weeks I've read.

Not sure what you are trying to say. Few of the pack killers act immediately. But having said that I have seen packs puffed after a single use by severe over discharge. But if you read it on the Internet then it must be true.

I'm just sharing what I have learned from a decade or more of using lipos of all sizes and cell counts in everything from drones to huge fast electric RC racing boats that pulled 300+ amps and were capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph.

That’s pretty common among people new to lithium chemistry batteries. The only exposure many have had stems from a cell phone or laptop/tablet where their care is handled by the devices power system. Many still manage to bugger laptop batteries by keeping the battery in a fully charged state when not in use.

What makes the multirotor learning experience difficult for some is that several completely different things need to be learned to understand and use them. Power system, flight control system, battery management, imagery system, etc, and battery use and care is often the least mentioned part of the instructions.

Reactions: Phaedrus
For myself, it took 3 batteries getting the salt water soak over a period of a year... it became financially untenable to remain ignorant.

Not sure what you are trying to say. Few of the pack killers act immediately. But having said that I have seen packs puffed after a single use by severe over discharge. But if you read it on the Internet then it must be true.

I'm just sharing what I have learned from a decade or more of using lipos of all sizes and cell counts in everything from drones to huge fast electric RC racing boats that pulled 300+ amps and were capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph.
Your not a facebook user? Typhoon pages,Dji pages are quite often posted, with people who think you can charge and leave and generally abuse, them, Ive read there is a self discharge on some of the Dji models. I thought it was a conversation, people it seems have no idea and not helped by a basic charger and lack of instructions when they purchase. If you feel I was attacking then I don't know what to say.

That’s pretty common among people new to lithium chemistry batteries. The only exposure many have had stems from a cell phone or laptop/tablet where their care is handled by the devices power system. Many still manage to bugger laptop batteries by keeping the battery in a fully charged state when not in use.

What makes the multirotor learning experience difficult for some is that several completely different things need to be learned to understand and use them. Power system, flight control system, battery management, imagery system, etc, and battery use and care is often the least mentioned part of the instructions.
I treat them like a stick of explosives, in a lipo bag then an ammo box when I go on holiday I store on a concrete, walls, floor building. All we can do is much of the above posts, care care.

Your not a facebook user? Typhoon pages,Dji pages are quite often posted, with people who think you can charge and leave and generally abuse, them, Ive read there is a self discharge on some of the Dji models. I thought it was a conversation, people it seems have no idea and not helped by a basic charger and lack of instructions when they purchase. If you feel I was attacking then I don't know what to say.

You're losing me here. Yes I am on FB. What I am saying is that all too often what you read on FB, etc. may not be accurate. Seems that is what you were trying to say as well.

Last edited:
You're losing me here. Yes I am on FB. What I am saying is that all too often what you read on FB, etc. may not be accurate. Seems thta is what you were trying to say as well.
I didn't say I believed it all. Just looking at the clues, if they say " I always go to second warning, and leave it fully charged for days or weeks with no issues" been using that charger with no problems" what reason do they all have to lie? Statistically like I said in earlier post, it would be interesting to see how many people use just a stock charger, charge it and face consequences. Not everybody posts on a forum so the issue may be quite large.

You're losing me here.
You are both in agreement, just saying it a different way. The FB groups often have bad advise and/or information. Posting the correct information is helpful and usually appreciated.

Your told over here, they can be thrown away in general rubbish!
That has always been my understanding so long as they have been completely discharged. Do you have a different method?

You are both in agreement, just saying it a different way. The FB groups often have bad advise and/or information. Posting the correct information is helpful and usually appreciated.

That has always been my understanding so long as they have been completely discharged. Do you have a different method?
Local Recycling centre for me. Never liked the idea of putting it the rubbish, bit like broken glass unwrapped and injuring the dustman/ refuse operative or what ever the latest name is.

Just for general info purposes, DJI “smart” batteries do have a self discharge function but it has one problem, the time span to initiate self discharge is user selectable, with settings for up to 10 days before initiating self discharge. That is much too long. It’s something I discovered when reviewing all the systems settings for a client provided Inspire 2 that had been in use for awhile. A discussion was held and the setting was changed for a lower day count.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval