Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best place to compass calibrate...

Reaction score
Ok, seen many videos of where to calibrate.. the main guy i've been paying quite a bit of attention to on U-tube is Jeff Sibelius, as seen below.. the only thing I didn't like was that he did it with the GCO3 attatched..

but a couple things have crossed my mind..

1). the last place I cal'd was about 3 blocks from my house at a pretty decent sized park, BUT, the problem (possibly) is that there's a HUGE metal water tower on the South end.. & from what i've read here that could be a bigtime no-no..

2). I'm borderlining the 5mi. limit close to PDX (airport), so going North or West of here isn't going to work, the only thing I can figure out is to go South to some open country and calibrate out there, or possibly East..

So I guess my question then is, for you guys, what's the best place to do a compass cal ??.. close to your house ?? or does it matter within' x-miles of your house ??.. & if so, what's "X" ??

Trust, i've done a bit of research on the matter, but I much rather get direct answers from the fellas here that know what they're doing vs. internet hit & misses.. much thanks!

NW.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Ok, seen many videos of where to calibrate.. the main guy i've been paying quite a bit of attention to on U-tube is Jeff Sibelius, as seen below.. the only thing I didn't like was that he did it with the GCO3 attatched..

but a couple things have crossed my mind..

1). the last place I cal'd was about 3 blocks from my house at a pretty decent sized park, BUT, the problem (possibly) is that there's a HUGE metal water tower on the South end.. & from what i've read here that could be a bigtime no-no..

2). I'm borderlining the 5mi. limit close to PDX (airport), so going North or West of here isn't going to work, the only thing I can figure out is to go South to some open country and calibrate out there, or possibly East..

So I guess my question then is, for you guys, what's the best place to do a compass cal ??.. close to your house ?? or does it matter within' x-miles of your house ??.. & if so, what's "X" ??

Trust, i've done a bit of research on the matter, but I much rather get direct answers from the fellas here that know what they're doing vs. internet hit & misses.. much thanks!

NW.
@NWSaint You can do the calibration in your front yard if you want to. The main thing to avoid is metallic items under or very near the drone so if you have an older sprinkler system with metal pipe NG but no prob. w/PVC. Concrete usually has rebar so stay away from that. Just make sure the head of the H480 is faced North when you start. No problem doing the calibration with the camera attached just be mindful of your motions. I've had the H480 since 2017 and it is still a great drone. I did the Peau 3.97 lens upgrade and it is obviously better than the stock lens. I shoot with a few other drones as well and the H is my go to in higher winds when 60fps is not necessary. Good luck and Jeff's videos are all very informative and his info. is always good.

When it is said to do a compass calibration away from metal objects, it meant to be a number of feet such as 20 feet or more if possible, you don't have to be hundreds or thousands of yards away.

Also keep in mind that once a calibration is performed it will be all that is needed for quite a while unless you travel more than 50 miles or so from where it was last calibrated or it has been crashed and repaired or so on. There can be exceptions as I know of one member that calibrated here in the states and then went over to Iceland and flew for several weeks without a re calibration but I personally would not recommend this. I have been flying my Typhoon H Plus for two years and only did one calibration and pretty much did the same with my Typhoon H 480 for two years prior.

The ideal place therefore is where you do most of your flying; making sure that you are not near any metal objects when doing so and you'll be good to go.

Oh man, you guys are great.. that's why my preference is to ask here & not fool around with any other outside sources.. IMO, this is why this is the "Yuneec Pilots" forum, go straight to the source, no need for anything else, the one exception being Jeff Sibelius, and that guy is as close to Gold as i've found on U-tube, the man does break things down nicely.. but for the straight answers, this here is my source... smh.. I wish more than anything that I could've found this place when I first got my T-H, woulda' saved me many un-mentionable situations.. don't ask.. LoL.. I don't have time, but i'm sure ya'll know where i'm coming from, and have been.. excellent forum..

NW.

I'll add this, make sure your Cell Phone is at least 30 feet away, and do not have any metal objects on your Body when performing the Calibration Procedure, and for Best Results your Drone should have a 360 view of the Horizon

Reactions: NWSaint
The water tower should not cause a problem at that distance. However, be aware that any water tower or fire hydrant is going to have an underground pipe connected to it. You might try a compass app on your phone, face North and walk around the area to see if you get any strange deflections. If none appear then you are likely at a good location for the cal.

Believe as long as you have the unit facing north (having a compass handy 4 this would help)starting out, & with no metal interference this should calibrate without any issues, the lights on the arms will indicate to you whether the calibration worked or did not work

Interesting. I did a calibration at my kitchen table with out any problems , about 6 feet from the fridge and 8 feet from the ss sink and maybe 15 ft from the range. The lights flashed but it seemed to take , tried my second H with the same and got the same results . Other than the lights , is there a way to tell on the ST16 that it is out of calibration ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval