Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best video settings

The GCO3+ is quite good as a 4k camera.
Also Captain Drone made a quite good vid about the settings.

All his very good vids are listed @ Utube

All you have to do is set up the camera properly. Use the stock filter/lens cover. Natural mode, white balance to a wb card with full sunlight on the card, lock it... then go into manual mode for the exposure. Set your iso to 100, the lower the iso the less grain, set exposure to anywhere from 320 to 800 depending on your shot. You can hover and adjust the exposure prior to making a pass. Here is an example use of the CGO3+ dialed in properly. Shot in 4K encoded to 1080p30 for the edit. Best quality if you click through to Vimeo to view.

Last edited:
All you have to do is set up the camera properly. Use the stock filter/lens cover. Natural mode, white balance to a wb card with full sunlight on the card, lock it... then go into manual mode for the exposure. Set your iso to 100, the lower the iso the less grain, set exposure to anywhere from 320 to 800 depending on your shot. You can hover and adjust the exposure prior to making a pass. Here is an example use of the CGO3+ dialed in properly. Shot in 4K encoded to 1080p30 for the edit. Best quality if you click through to Vimeo to view.
I have always been a photographer, never a videographer until now. Since the OP I have done a fair bit of study and a fair bit of video and bought myself a GH5 as I have some ground based promo work to do which includes some aerial footage.
When you say "set exposure to anywhere from 320 to 800 depending on your shot." I assume you are talking about shutter speed? That is fine for stills photography as the faster the better to reduce camera shake but I would question that for video and prefer to use ND filters to maintain 180d

I have always been a photographer, never a videographer until now. Since the OP I have done a fair bit of study and a fair bit of video and bought myself a GH5 as I have some ground based promo work to do which includes some aerial footage.
When you say "set exposure to anywhere from 320 to 800 depending on your shot." I assume you are talking about shutter speed? That is fine for stills photography as the faster the better to reduce camera shake but I would question that for video and prefer to use ND filters to maintain 180d

I have been shooting video for over 25 years. DSLRs are very different than the camera in your H. It has a rolling shutter so no... I am suggesting you set the EV or exposure manually. There is no mechanical shutter. Once you lock the white balance go to the red M for manual. You can then adjust the ISO and exposure. ISO should be at 100 and depending on the level of brightness on the day you fly 1/320 to 1/800 are the settings to use. ND filters are not necessary if you set your camera up properly and by not using filters you will eliminate the flare you see from the shadow of the H.

I have to be the worst photographer ever, but still try to get the settings right. Seems like everyone has their own method and if you put 10 experts in a room you'd get 10 different answers. For me it's more about substance, but that's probably because I can never get the settings "perfect"; at least that's my excuse. In my experience using filters are a must with my H or strange things happen. Don't know if I'll get the H+ but if the camera is better for those that are "handicapped" it may sway me.

Our equipment today is far and away better than what Ansel Adams had to work with yet few have been able to match the quality of his work, even with all the super post programs available. It’s not so much the equipment we use, but how we use what we have.

To my knowledge the only reason to use ND filters when shooting video is to give a more fluid, cinematic look that is produced at a lower shutter speed. Other than that, I have always advocated for no filter to utilize the fastest shutter speed available, as @jcommstudios noted above, to minimize vibrational softness.

BTW, my department chairman in college personally knew Ansel Adams, and he would take delight in telling students that they had no idea how much grade 5 photo paper he would use, Zone System and all... :D Because of his connection to Adams, I had an opportunity when I graduated, to purchase a signed 11x14 Adams print for $750... I couldn't pull the money together. Don't want to think of what it's current value would be now. :(

Last edited:
Hello,
Here is my feedback with 2 years Typhoon H. If you have the opportunity to repeat the scene, then you can switch to manual for ISO, but it is difficult to see on the spot if the result is good.
For the Live, sporting event, construction site, etc. where we can not go wrong and if it's good weather, I switch to white balance blocked on sun and I mount a ND4 filter because it is a good compromise. For having done a lot of testing, with the other filters, the ND4 goes everywhere in full sun / sun clouds. The shuter varies from 200 to 320 in these cases.

Similar to @jcommstudios I’ve been a photographer rather than a videographer for around 50 years using a wide range of cameras including DSLRs and digital mirrorless cameras.

What @jcommstudios says about the CGO3+ camera lacking a true physical shutter is true. The real question isn’t about ND filters but is about “what does shutter speed mean in the CGO3+ ?”.

I normally shoot in all manual - white balance locked, manual exposure. Shooting video, especially from a moving platform, I set the shutter speed at twice the frame rate - for NTSC 29.97; that would be 1/60th of a second. Shooting outdoors this normally requires an ND to achieve the proper exposure. The ideal video settings for the CG03+ as well as other cameras I use are set using shutter priority as mentioned and the ideal ISO is 100. I have found that in bright sunlight, the ND16 allows a 1/60th shutter speed and and ISO of 100. Other lighting requires adjustment but my goal is always to shoot video with a shutter speed twice the frame rate regardless of the camera used.

Here is a video I just did that has mixed footage from three different cameras; CG03+, GoPro 5 and Panasonic LX-10 - ALL were shooting at 1/60th Shutter, IS0-100. Both the CG03 and Gopro have fixed Apertures of 2.8 while the LX-10 has a 1.4. The CG-03 and GoPro both had an ND16 while the LX-10, to get the most out of its lens I staked and ND32 with an ND 8 on top. I'll let the footage speak for itself. If you want to see mostly Typhoon footage - skip to 6:10.

Reactions: Windluv and AH-1G
Similar to @jcommstudios I’ve been a photographer rather than a videographer for around 50 years using a wide range of cameras including DSLRs and digital mirrorless cameras.

What @jcommstudios says about the CGO3+ camera lacking a true physical shutter is true. The real question isn’t about ND filters but is about “what does shutter speed mean in the CGO3+ ?”.

You've hit upon a good question. The rolling shutter used on our CG03 has some quirks, most of which are bad when it comes to fast moving objects. One of the best video's I have seen to explain how they work and a visual explanation is this one.

Rolling Shutter Explained

You've hit upon a good question. The rolling shutter used on our CG03 has some quirks, most of which are bad when it comes to fast moving objects. One of the best video's I have seen to explain how they work and a visual explanation is this one.

Thanks Ty! That was awesome!

It brought back all those learnings about shutters I had pushed back in the memory banks.

Jeff

@Ty Pilot great examples.

For video with an electronic shutter like the CGO3+ we usually shoot at 1/60 second “shutter” rate to get smooth looking (cinematic looking) video.

We could shoot at much higher “shutter” rates but then we’re susceptible to capturing every movement the aircraft makes that isn’t damped out at the gimbal.

Sony has talked about a new sensor coming in the next few years that eliminates rolling shutter in electronic shutters by scanning the sensor at very high speeds. My guess would be that it will first appear on high end mirrorless photo cameras and cost more. Eventually that tech may trickle down to 1” sensors.

FWIW my Fuji mirrorless camera can use the electronic shutter up to 1/8000 sec but you have be aware even at that speed for the rolling shutter artifacts on moving objects.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot

rdonson I've been a video producer for over 25 years not a "photographer". In video cameras/DSLRs you want the shutter speed to be double the frame rate for smooth video. 30p = shutter 60. 60p = shutter 125 (there is no 120 on most DSLR video rigs). You can then also adjust the EV or exposure.
I also shoot photos but that's not my gig. I see a few people in this thread have found some info on rolling shutter cameras as opposed to mechanical. The new DJI 4 Plus has a mechanical shutter. I'll have to look into that. The H has ISO and exposure control only. If you lock the white balance tap the red icon top left it will allow you to perform manual ISO and EXPOSURE settings. The lower the ISO the less noise (grain). I don't use a filter unless it is absolutely necessary which it sometimes is but I still WB and adjust the CGO3+ manually. Good discussion!

@jcommstudios I know and understand. I do use the manual settings with the TH CGO3+ and shoot 4K. I also shoot 4K video on my Fuji X-T2 with the mechanical shutter. I wasn’t really interested in video though until I got the TH a year ago.

It is a good discussion and I’m hoping people gain something from reading this.

P.S. I find the ND filters necessary. I do wish the TH had a lens hood though.

.P.P.S. The recent announcement of the 100 MP Phase One medium format camera for the DJI commercial drone is stunning.

Phase One Industrial Drones Solution

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polenutrition