Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

C23 - Depth of Field

Ty Pilot

One Hexy Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
copperdawg.com
Not really. I was recently finishing up a video and one of the clips I shot was on a day so bright that I had to use an ND 32 and was running a shutter speed of 1/30th and FPS of 30. The scene I was shooting involved doing a POI close in and the natural motion blur (which looks great in the video too) created this type of effect. This photo is untouched and is a 1080 frame from a 4K video.

;)Hint: The target (me) was locked dead on for the entire orbit which is why this effect works.

Orb2.jpg

Love it!

*Keep in mind when you drop to 30FPS, you lose your 100Mb bitrate and it drops down to 50-60. Another flaw with the C23 that I wish they would fix.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Love it!

*Keep in mind when you drop to 30FPS, you lose your 100Mb bitrate and it drops down to 50-60. Another flaw with the C23 that I wish they would fix.
Do you see image quality side effect effect with 50-60mb for 30fps?

I think this photo unnormal. What do you think? C23 on typhoon h+ Depth of field problem? how to fix it?

Attachments

• YUN_0019.JPG
    YUN_0019.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 20
  • YUN_0020.JPG
    YUN_0020.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 19
If you are referring to the lack of detail in the tree covered slopes in the background of these photos, I think it is more a case of losing detail due to jpeg compression in an area where surrounding areas look very much alike.

Another thing to consider is whether you were in video mode or photo mode when these were taken. If the camera is set to video mode and you press the button to take a photo you are only getting a frame grab and not the full 20MP photo. If you are doing that, you can achieve the same or better grabbing the frame in post processing.

The jpg files from the C23 are also noted for being oversaturated and over sharpened. Try using the dng format and getting better results in post processing.

If you are referring to the lack of detail in the tree covered slopes in the background of these photos, I think it is more a case of losing detail due to jpeg compression in an area where surrounding areas look very much alike.

Another thing to consider is whether you were in video mode or photo mode when these were taken. If the camera is set to video mode and you press the button to take a photo you are only getting a frame grab and not the full 20MP photo. If you are doing that, you can achieve the same or better grabbing the frame in post processing.

The jpg files from the C23 are also noted for being oversaturated and over sharpened. Try using the dng format and getting better results in post processing.
I have DNG files. I see same result. Also i have same result in video mode.I tried all modes. Nothing helps Yuneec - Google Drive

Last edited:
I think this photo unnormal. What do you think? C23 on typhoon h+ Depth of field problem? how to fix it?
the whole thing looks out of focus to me. Almost as if the lens is dirty. Something is definitely wrong with those pictures. Even if, as @DoomMeister points out about taking a picture in video mode, I would expect far better images than those. I wonder about condensation on your lens? Finger prints on the lens?

the whole thing looks out of focus to me. Almost as if the lens is dirty. Something is definitely wrong with those pictures. Even if, as @DoomMeister points out about taking a picture in video mode, I would expect far better images than those. I wonder about condensation on your lens? Finger prints on the lens?
the feeling is that the focus is set to a distance of one meter

the lens is clean IMG_20190602_222834.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190602_224412.jpg
    IMG_20190602_224412.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 11
When these cameras are assembled there is a step where the focus is checked and it appears that perhaps your C23 was not properly adjusted and is just slightly out of focus.

If you are saying that things one meter away are in focus, that would be proof that it is out of adjustment. If you are still under warranty I would send it back. The update that allows digital zoom will have no effect on the standard image or video sharpness/focus other than to digitally increase the size.

Reactions: AH-1G
When these cameras are assembled there is a step where the focus is checked and it appears that perhaps your C23 was not properly adjusted and is just slightly out of focus.

If you are saying that things one meter away are in focus, that would be proof that it is out of adjustment. If you are still under warranty I would send it back. The update that allows digital zoom will have no effect on the standard image or video sharpness/focus other than to digitally increase the size.
Thank you very much for your advice. And for your help. I wonder can I adjust the focus myself?

Attachments

• YUN_0005.JPG
    YUN_0005.JPG
    11 MB · Views: 14
I am sure it can be done, but do not know of anyone that has taken a C23 apart yet. However, if you do a search for 'Aftermarket lenses' for the CG03+ you will find many threads and even videos of the kind of work that it takes to adjust the focus of a lens. Maybe one or two of those that have done it will chime in here and give their thoughts. Some have attempted to do a lens exchange with no problems while others have damaged their cameras. It all comes down to finding out precisely how everything goes together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss