Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

C23 gel dampers

Reaction score
I'm kinda new to posting here, and forgive me if this has already been addressed (I've read some posting on it previously), but aside from the weirdness of these dampers stretching out and leaking and all has anyone experienced these breaking or coming off in flight destroying their camera? I recently replaced with new ones (which isn't exactly easy) and they stretched out again in no time. They seem to be all that's holding the camera on

Yes, it is very weird! I now generally consider that if they are stretched out all the time, then they need replacing. They should just be below the limit when the camera is just hanging there. The worst bit is when you have to do a compass calibration, spinning the drone over itself ends up stretching out all the dampers a lot - that's probably what does the damage.

They will leak if squeezed too hard; you need to be extra careful whilst fitting them, which never seems to get any easier. (I use the blunt, rounded end of a paint brush for that.)

The new H520E uses more of the dampers, presumably because of this.

Yuneec just aren't very good at doing the minor upgrades and design improvements that all products need. The camera tilt switch on the ST16 controllers (top left) is still a 3-way switch when it should be a 2-way! Any normal manufacturer would have changed that when renewing their stock! Makes you wonder how the company is run....

(I have never experienced them breaking off though. I sometimes think I should have a small fishing line loop loosely joining the gimbal plates, just in case. But I have never got round to it.)

This has been addressed, steve carr has a couple of options here, just do a search either here or YT. Heres one use a rubber band 2of around the two halves of the gimbal (upper/lower) ?

I'm kinda new to posting here, and forgive me if this has already been addressed (I've read some posting on it previously), but aside from the weirdness of these dampers stretching out and leaking and all has anyone experienced these breaking or coming off in flight destroying their camera? I recently replaced with new ones (which isn't exactly easy) and they stretched out again in no time. They seem to be all that's holding the camera on
Modification thread here:

e90 Dampener Upgrade

Yes, it is very weird! I now generally consider that if they are stretched out all the time, then they need replacing. They should just be below the limit when the camera is just hanging there. The worst bit is when you have to do a compass calibration, spinning the drone over itself ends up stretching out all the dampers a lot - that's probably what does the damage.

They will leak if squeezed too hard; you need to be extra careful whilst fitting them, which never seems to get any easier. (I use the blunt, rounded end of a paint brush for that.)

The new H520E uses more of the dampers, presumably because of this.

Yuneec just aren't very good at doing the minor upgrades and design improvements that all products need. The camera tilt switch on the ST16 controllers (top left) is still a 3-way switch when it should be a 2-way! Any normal manufacturer would have changed that when renewing their stock! Makes you wonder how the company is run....

You know there is no need to have the camera attached when doing a compass calibration... as well, it will save wear and tear on the gimbal motors as they attempt to compensate for the spinning during calibration. Removal of the camera before calibration will eliminate both issues.

Reactions: mb357
The camera has to be there to initiate the compass calibration on the H+ EEV. One reason to do a good calibration and then avoid doing it again unless absolutely necessary.

@Ty Pilot posted about that soon after getting his H+. As I recall, he actually initiated the calibration, quickly removed the camera, and completed the compass calibration. He may chime in on this and let us know.

One of the issues of not actually owning the model in question... hopefully @Ty Pilot will post to clarify for all. ?

Reactions: Ty Pilot
As to the camera removal for calibration - I was shocked that the manual did not call for removal of the C23 before Compass calibration so at first, I removed the camera and tried and it did not work. Not giving up, I found that I could initiate the calibration first, and then as mentioned above; remove the camera and continue. I would note that I calibrated the compass on my (still working) Plus in mid July 2018 and have not calibrated since. Another forum member - the first forum member in the US to get the H Plus (Mickyboo), got his Plus before a trip to Iceland, calibrated here and did not recalibrate there and reported zero problems.

I mention this due to the fact that a lot of pilots carried over their habit of recalibrating nearly every flight from the 480 to later models and we found this is not necessary.

The Gimbal dampeners on the the Plus are too weak in my estimation for the overall flight envelope possible by the Plus. In Sport Mode, the forces applied by acceleration and braking are far in excess of their capability. That said, I am still running with my original dampeners and they are not leaking. This is due to the fact that when I am filming or working I am always trying to move the camera in a cinematic way (smooth acceleration and braking and so forth) so my dampeners are not getting beat up too bad. I do have extras on hand should I need them.

There are and have been threads on mods and upgrades of these dampeners including at least one or two by @DCH who put together a pretty good upgrade solution. I'll see if I can get him to respond.

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
As to the camera removal for calibration - I was shocked that the manual did not call for removal of the C23 before Compass calibration so at first, I removed the camera and tried and it did not work. Not giving up, I found that I could initiate the calibration first, and then as mentioned above; remove the camera and continue. I would note that I calibrated the compass on my (still working) Plus in mid July 2018 and have not calibrated since. Another forum member - the first forum member in the US to get the H Plus (Mickyboo), got his Plus before a trip to Iceland, calibrated here and did not recalibrate there and reported zero problems.

I mention this due to the fact that a lot of pilots carried over their habit of recalibrating nearly every flight from the 480 to later models and we found this is not necessary.

The Gimbal dampeners on the the Plus are too weak in my estimation for the overall flight envelope possible by the Plus. In Sport Mode, the forces applied by acceleration and braking are far in excess of their capability. That said, I am still running with my original dampeners and they are not leaking. This is due to the fact that when I am filming or working I am always trying to move the camera in a cinematic way (smooth acceleration and braking and so forth) so my dampeners are not getting beat up too bad. I do have extras on hand should I need them.

There are and have been threads on mods and upgrades of these dampeners including at least one or two by @DCH who put together a pretty good upgrade solution. I'll see if I can get him to respond.
Agree 100% the Camera should be removed before Calibration, I was baffled by Yuneec's Calibration Videos seeing the Torture the Poor Cameras while doing the Compass Calibration.

I have a idea this cost 2 .
on mly C23 I have drile 4 home in uper a dow part from Cam older
I have inser 2 cable ties.
by extraem Landing or carsch cable ties canbreak bur no more.. and you have the best Gell Damper ..trhis Dalper is very nice.
Think 2 cable ties anbd 4 hole...

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_025814[1].jpg
    IMG_20210307_025814[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210307_025745[1].jpg
    IMG_20210307_025745[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
When I purchased the H+ used from Kentucky a couple of months ago, I have not calibrated it to this day. I have flown it several times and am not having any issues.?
The drone still has the original jell dampers. Like Ty Pilot, I don't try to race around.:cool:

I have a idea this cost 2 .
on mly C23 I have drile 4 home in uper a dow part from Cam older
I have inser 2 cable ties.
by extraem Landing or carsch cable ties canbreak bur no more.. and you have the best Gell Damper ..trhis Dalper is very nice.
Think 2 cable ties anbd 4 hole...
So let me get this straight you now have tie strap to hold it tightly in position? The Dampers are meant to keep the camera from vibration of herky jerky movements and during windy times while flying.

yo need Factory Gimbal soft ,But Yunnec dont help!
and yuneec drive in direction road end !

Heres what I was talking about earlier, thankin steve for this idea, the rubber bands ?

Attachments

• 20210307_081703[1].jpg
    20210307_081703[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49