Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

C23 Zoom Function (H Plus)

Reaction score
I searched this subject here but found nothing. I'm curious what others are finding.

I stumbled onto the ability to zoom the H Plus camera (right side of screen @ x1.) At first I thought, I didn't read about that function in the PDF manual and I hadn't seen any YT videos on the subject. There's at least one now. So I was wondering if it had been there all along but I think it was added sometime this year, apparently with an update. It must have already had the ability to do it but hadn't had the software update to operate it yet. I'm not staying current apparently. Anyway …

I've yet to inspect the video I took, but I did process some photos using the various magnifications. The photos came out fine but I'll need to see how that function works with a variety of other subjects and light situations before I know for sure what I think. My initial thoughts are good. I'm assuming the video will be fine. One has to remember that flying with the zoom setting on probably isn't a good idea unless you know you're high enough with no obstacles nearby. However, if you are hovering and have a picture set up, that's not an issue, as long as you remember to set it back to x1 before continuing to fly on.

Two things: The zoom setting you want must be selected before you video and can't be changed while in the process of capturing video. My controller screen blurred considerably when the zoom was activated and I figured the photos might be blurred as well but they're not, (at least not this set in this circumstance.) So for a photo or video you have to get everything aligned the way you want it and then tap the zoom setting you want, of course that then changes the framing. This is all still very new to me and at this point I'll have to remind myself that the options are there.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please share them here.

YUN_0006.jpg

I think the zoom in images are only stored on the. jpg files the dng will still be the native image zoom.

In video 2x is ok on 4x and 8x you will begin to see artifacts and some shake can occur.

The 2x is pretty useful if you need to keep a security distance while filming, I captured this as a small test when it arrived with the latest firmware 822/829.

2x video.

I guess for inspection the 4x and 8x are useful but not for production video [emoji848]

Reactions: Steve Carr
I think the zoom in images are only stored on the. jpg files the dng will still be the native image zoom.

In video 2x is ok on 4x and 8x you will begin to see artifacts and some shake can occur.

The 2x is pretty useful if you need to keep a security distance while filming, I captured this as a small test when it arrived with the latest firmware 822/829.

Thanks.
That's good to know. How are we supposed to know (or find out) about this? So the photo I'm sharing isn't the telephoto? I uploaded what my Lightroom CC found on the card. I took four photos and was given no other option. You're saying I need to go into the min-card itself and select the jpg files specifically?

Thanks.
That's good to know. How are we supposed to know (or find out) about this? So the photo I'm sharing isn't the telephoto? I uploaded what my Lightroom CC found on the card. I took four photos and was given no other option. You're saying I need to go into the min-card itself and select the jpg files specifically?

Welcome to the Yuneec world :) Yuneec don't spend a dime on informing their pilots on how to use features, they leave it to their users to find them and teach each other.

Regarding the image, you should have both a DNG and a JPG on your sd card with the same filename, try to compare the two, I could be wrong I haven't bothered to use the zoom on photo mode I find it much easier to put the right stick forward ;-)

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I like the zoom. It is too bad it is not able to be zoomed during video, but it is still useful in some circumstances.

And to see both JPG and DNG you have to select that in the settings before flying. Default is JPG only.

It is too bad it is not able to be zoomed during video, but it is still useful in some circumstances.

It’s not available in video because it’s not a zoom. It’s a crop. The lens elements in the C-23 are immovable’ so it’s not possible to alter the lens’s focal length.

Yuneec calling this feature a “zoom” went well into the realm of misrepresentation but as many don’t understand how cameras and lenses work they’ve gotten away with it.

Yes, it is a digital zoom, which is an accepted term in the digital world.. Still digital zoom is capable of being done during video capture. Anafi does it. It is too bad Yuneec does not. Still and all, the zoom feature can be useful in many circumstances.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Yes, it is a digital zoom, which is an accepted term in the digital world.. Still digital zoom is capable of being done during video capture. Anafi does it. It is too bad Yuneec does not. Still and all, the zoom feature can be useful in many circumstances.

True but something consistent with digital zoom is image degradation that increases with the amount of enlargement. Typically, digital zoom is not employed until after achieving the limits of mechanical zoom, where until that point we still maintain high image quality.

With “mechanical” zoom, where lens elements are moved to enlarge or reduce image size, changing focal length does not impact image clarity or cause pixel dispersion. Mechanical zoom does has some drawbacks with depth of field in creating a flat image but that’s where aperture control and ISO comes into play to offset.

Although Anafi, Yuneec, and others make use of digital zoom in many ways their description of the function is a bit misleading, or even misleading, as they don’t mention the loss of image quality when using it. Their customers would be much better served with a “true” zoom but that would increase camera pricing significantly.

True but something consistent with digital zoom is image degradation that increases with the amount of enlargement. Typically, digital zoom is not employed until after achieving the limits of mechanical zoom, where until that point we still maintain high image quality.

True, but there is still a usable zone between optical (mechanical) and digital degraded to the point of being worthless.

Although Anafi, Yuneec, and others make use of digital zoom in many ways their description of the function is a bit misleading, or even misleading, as they don’t mention the loss of image quality when using it. Their customers would be much better served with a “true” zoom but that would increase camera pricing significantly.

I suppose so, but then people need to do their homework too. Digital zoom can still provide useful imagery up to a point. People need to learn the differences between the two and decide what works for them in their intended use and budget.

Reactions: PatR
Yuneec calling this feature a “zoom” went well into the realm of misrepresentation
The industry seems to use this term for digital and optical zoom so Yuneec is not misleading anyone. There is most certainly a difference in the end quality when using digital zoom on a 1" sensor compared to a 1/2.3" sensor.
Yuneec is very explicit regarding the type of zoom.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please share them here.
I have done video using 2X zoom. Here are a couple of pics comparing zoom. I'll try to post a video comparison. The 2X video was added to 1X video and it was difficult to tell the difference in quality.

1x.jpg 2x.jpg

Reactions: Rubik
It is candid up to a point. I’m not isolating Yuneec here as none of the consumer drone makers inform that use of digital zoom degrades the prime image. Yuneec does make mention of “lossless” with the ST-16 up to a point.

The H Plus is intended for the semi advanced and up operators but as is so often the case it’s neophytes to both drones and high level photography that buy them. As Phaedrus points out it’s up to owners to participate in some due diligence in both categories before jumping in but a bit more candor from the manufacturers could significantly reduce problem reports from less knowledgeable, less experienced people. It might also make payload choices for different types of work easier for those having to make decisions between the 520’s E50 and E90.

OTOH, it’s kind of funny when some of the wet behind the ears 107 people claim their digitally zoomed imagery has 20mpx resolution. They get eaten alive by their more experienced competition[emoji22][emoji6]

Thing is, that for many neophytes with more money than a desire to educate themselves are not an audience that would understand the finer points of optical versus digital zooms and the degree of degradation that might be expected.

Having said all that, I am not unhappy with the results I have gotten from the digital zoom. Not as good as my Canon 70-200/2.8 IS "L" glass, but acceptable for what it is.

The fact that a term is accepted does not equate with whether or not said term is accurate... as historically defined, a zoom lens has the capability to be infinitely adjusted to any degree of magnification within the zoom range... if Yuneec (or any other manufacturer) chose to be accurate, it would be called a digital teleconverter.

The fact that a term is accepted does not equate with whether or not said term is accurate
We are beating a dead horse. It has nothing to do with Yuneec. It is, in fact, industry standard terminology. Digital Zoom and Optical Zoom are widely used by all manufactures including Nikon and Canon. It is incumbent on the user to understand the equipment being used.

Digital Zoom and Optical Zoom are widely used by all manufactures including Nikon and Canon. It is incumbent on the user to understand the equipment being used.

Very true but where Nikon and Canon make reference to digital zoom it's usually associated with a camera/lens combination that starts out using optical zoom and enters the digital realm after exceeding the optical maximum. So digital zoom is a secondary means of image magnification. We might note that those camera brands, and others, often provide an option to turn off digital zoom to assist the photogrpher using extended focal lengths from entering an area of degraded imagery. That just ain't the way it works with fixed length lens cameras.

As you say, users need to understand how their stuff works, and what the term "zoom" actually references/defines with their type of equipment.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
We are beating a dead horse. It has nothing to do with Yuneec. It is, in fact, industry standard terminology. Digital Zoom and Optical Zoom are widely used by all manufactures including Nikon and Canon. It is incumbent on the user to understand the equipment being used.

Just like "obstacle avoidance" should not be interpreted to think it means you will never run into something.

The original intent of the OP of this thread seems to have been to discuss the image quality, which is actually pretty good and usable for many, but not all, situations. Why that got derailed into the direction that Yuneec is deceiving people I do not know, or understand.

Exactly. This thread made the turn from useful to a discussion of semantics.

Those who do SAR have found this feature to be extremely useful in the field. It's not always about photography. It can be about what is useful at the time and the situation. Using 4X to examine a subject on the ground can be a huge benefit and improves the overall efficiency of the flight in those situations. This was an added feature which costs us nothing. Whether or not you choose to use it is a matter of preference.

But wouldn’t be nice to be able to make use of zoom on the fly?

Ya know, move a lever to zoom in and out?[emoji6]. The camera is mounted on a gimbal and a long time ago they figured out how to use a gimbal thumb pad to operate a lens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss