Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Calibration tests

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to flying drones. I got my first drone a while back then upgraded to a Typhoon H. flying it for a while and had a 15 ft high fall, but did research and repaired all broken parts but had to super glue a part of the camera (doesn't block any movement of the camera or its ability to turn one way all the way or the other). I recently got to take it out after storage due to winter. I realized recently that the camera cannot look straight forward anymore. I can have it tilt but then goes to far up for a good picture. I just tried recalibrating the camera and notice the "K2" portion will not reach 0 when I move the cameras angle. it can range from 431-800 when I turn the dial with a little more effort but will not reach 0. any suggestions to troubleshoot this?

It seems likely that you would have checked the camera for proper operation after the repair but you don't state. Did the problem show up after storage? Where do you see the numbers 431 to 800? A bit more confusion but let's get this straight first.

It seemed fine. there is a shot time which it works. like when it starts up the camera will look forward but when I aim the camera down and when I try to angle the camera back up it will not turn straight forward so it will fall a bit short of the correct position it should take. the 431-800 is when I do the calibration test and the K2 is the name that the test gives the knob that angles the camera up or down.

Are you referring to the gimbal calibration?

When it is performed the K2 should be in the neutral position (where you hear the beep) and left there while the calibration proceeds. Once the calibration is done, the TH should be powered down and then powered back up. The tilt mode switch S1 and pan mode switch S2 should both be in the top position for the calibration.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I've tried everything and this is the end result. I will upload pictures to give a better understanding of the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_E1183.JPG
    IMG_E1183.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 26
this is the normal angle in which the camera is set.

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
this angle is after ive been in flight and look down. trying to look back up.. this is where the camera stops.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
If the tilt and pan mode switches are in the top position and the tilt slider is full forward the camera should point forward and be level with the horizon (as it appears in your first photo of the camera).

The camera in the second photo appears to be in the 45 degree down position where it would be with the tilt slider at the middle (where it beeps) position.

The photo with all the green lights is blurry, but appears to be the final screen of the ST-16 calibration procedure. If this is the case and you had the tilt slider in any position other than the midpoint when you saved and exited that calibration ( and the same with the rate slider on the opposite side of the controller) it would explain the trouble you are having with the camera tilt.

before the incident. I didn't have to have the tilt and pan in upward. it had the horizon shot with both switches in the mid point. I believe since I had no idea about what they did. now calibrated correctly I can obtain the horizon shot with just pushing the wheel to the max (where it beeps) then push a little force and it gets that shot. I just got another issue where once at the point where it beeps... it keeps beeping and the camera moves up and down a little.

just calibrated gimball and still is making constant beeping while camera I going up and down.

When you power up the aircraft with both tilt and pan mode switches to center position and tilt slider full forward, the result will be the same as with both switches in the up position.

For the tilt mode switch the up and middle positions are the same functionally. The bottom position places the tilt in Velocity mode. In Velocity mode positions below midpoint on the tilt slider move the camera toward -90 deg., and above midpoint toward +15 deg. The movement is constant and speed of movement is proportional to distance from the midpoint.

Is the beeping coming from the camera or the ST-16?

but the last point. in any positions of tilt and pan switches. which they both are in the middle position. the gimball does not bring the camera to horizon shot like in picture 2 that I had sent. it does not get to that angle.

I was hoping to help you initially and asked some questions. I apologize for not responding sooner. I ran into a fe problems of my own.
The beeping from the ST16; is it the same as when the sliders move through the center points? If so do the K2 and K3 displays show any movement in the Hardware Monitor? The only thing that I can think of would be a poor electrical connection on one of the sliders. Doesn't seem likely but I can't think of any other suspects. I did notice that the center beeps occur whether the ST16 is fully booted or not.
Just saw your latest post. In the top 2 switch positions the camera will look straight forward only when the slider is at the very top of it's range.

Beeping from the ST-16 usually means you have a stick off center while the H is unarmed. It’s warning you of a need to center the sticks before arming the aircraft to prevent the aircraft from leaping off the ground in response to the commanded input immediately after arming.

the k1 and k2 now are constantly changing in the calibration test...… ok this kind of frightens me. the beeping and the change of numbers in the calibration test screen. was due to the low battery my controller has. jandjfrench thanks for explaining in simpler terms for me. haha when I am in the calibration test does the K2 (calibration of the slider that angles the camera up and down) to reach the horizon shot. does the number have to reach 0 or is it suppose to reach like 50 or any other number than 0 when trying to angle that shot.

the k1 and k2 now are constantly changing in the calibration test...… ok this kind of frightens me. the beeping and the change of numbers in the calibration test screen. was due to the low battery my controller has. jandjfrench thanks for explaining in simpler terms for me. haha when I am in the calibration test does the K2 (calibration of the slider that angles the camera up and down) to reach the horizon shot. does the number have to reach 0 or is it suppose to reach like 50 or any other number than 0 when trying to angle that shot.
Sorry for not responding sooner. I finally got around to checking my ST16 and now find that my K2 and K3 are both acting erratically. Viewing in the Hardware Monitor when I move either slider to the bottom the display shows them at the bottom. When carefully move either slider to the top .the display shows them in the center of their range. When I apply pressure to either slider at the top the display shows them jump to the top. The behavior of both sliders is identical. I'm going to have to open it up and see if I can explain/correct this bizarre behavior. I'll post my findings.

guys, the problem @janjfrench is having is the result of following one of the many youTube videos that are WRONG. Any calibration that does not return the controllers to CENTER before finishing the first step is going to result in that stick having only partial travel. For example, If you finish the first step with the slider at the TOP. you will only have the bottom half control. I recommend you ensure you are doing calibration in accordance with this video, which is done correctly:

If you did a calibration with an actual problem with ANY controller, you pretty much have a real problem now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
Exactly right @WTFDproject. Do the ST16 calibration again. Start with the camera tilt knob and the turtle/rabbit knob in the center. After each step return them to the center position.

If the ST16 is beeping, the right stick is not returning to exactly center. Test it in Hardware Monitor to see if it is sluggish, erratic or not returning to exactly center.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval