Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Calling all veteran Pilots (newbies pay attention)

Reaction score
My mother always told me experience is the best teacher; you can either listen to what I tell you, or you can learn things the hard way. Being that I was young, and dumb you can guess which one I choose. I monitor this forum on a daily basis; and lately just about everyday I have read about somebody crashing their Q. It's got to the point to where it feels like deja vu everyday. I'm somewhat getting tired of giving advice concerning the same subject over, and over again.

What I'm asking is for all veteran Yuneec pilots to chime in on this thread with as much advice that can be given to a newbie from all aspects of a Yuneec drone (controller, cgo3,Q) everything you might think of. Then I'm going to copy all information to a file; that way when a question arises, advise, or information needs to be past along, I'm just going to copy and paste the necessary comments instead of repeatedly typing the same comments over and over; if you so wish you can do the same.

I remember when forum members posted videos of peaceful flights with an occasional crash story; now that's getting to be a daily topic here on the forum. If you're a newbie I hope this information helps

Reactions: Overhead
bshaker,
that sounds great. A wealth of info from all you veterans is just what this old boy needs.
I have had my Q for 4 days now, and it has'nt left the ground yet. The wind here is wicked
and I don't want take a chance of crashing on my first flight.
Thanks for your help

bshaker,
that sounds great. A wealth of info from all you veterans is just what this old boy needs.
I have had my Q for 4 days now, and it has'nt left the ground yet. The wind here is wicked
and I don't want take a chance of crashing on my first flight.
Thanks for your help

Smart choice Wahoo. Heavy winds will cause your Q to do some weird things. like change direction without warning. It will also cause your Q fight harder to maintain position causing a shorter flight time. Wait until the time is right until then read up on some of the post here, there's a plethora of information that can help make your learning experience easy.

I'll share the 1st lesson I learned (the hard way unfortunately). 1st time I fired up my Q500 I thought I was being very cautious, simply hovering it in the driveway a few feet off the ground. I also was under the impression I should start in Smart Mode, since that's what they recommended for beginners. I've been flying smaller toy quads for a while and none of them had a "headless" mode, but I still considered myself a beginner because I hadn't flown the more advanced quad models. Since I'd never flown in headless (or Smart) modes the quad did not respond as I expected and I inadvertently clipped one of the props on a tree trunk. Fortunately no damage other than a broken prop - but my advice is start out with what you know. If you are used to flying in pilot (or Angle) mode then start out that way, if you're used to flying in Headless (or Smart) mode then stick with that until you get a feel for how the quad handles. I probably have less than a dozen flights so far on the Q500 so I'm still learning, but every quad is different enough already, no need to change your flying habits until you know how each bird responds. I do have to add... I'm having a lot of fun with it! :)

Reactions: Mrdronenut
I'll share the 1st lesson I learned (the hard way unfortunately). 1st time I fired up my Q500 I thought I was being very cautious, simply hovering it in the driveway a few feet off the ground. I also was under the impression I should start in Smart Mode, since that's what they recommended for beginners. I've been flying smaller toy quads for a while and none of them had a "headless" mode, but I still considered myself a beginner because I hadn't flown the more advanced quad models. Since I'd never flown in headless (or Smart) modes the quad did not respond as I expected and I inadvertently clipped one of the props on a tree trunk. Fortunately no damage other than a broken prop - but my advice is start out with what you know. If you are used to flying in pilot (or Angle) mode then start out that way, if you're used to flying in Headless (or Smart) mode then stick with that until you get a feel for how the quad handles. I probably have less than a dozen flights so far on the Q500 so I'm still learning, but every quad is different enough already, no need to change your flying habits until you know how each bird responds. I do have to add... I'm having a lot of fun with it! :)

Don't forget about the GEO fence that is required when you fly in smart mode.

Reactions: Amanda Kahler
Great reminder! I suspect that's what caused mine to move in an unexpected direction and when trying to correct it being in smart mode didn't help me since I wasn't used to it.

HA! that Geo fence...... It really got me the 1st time. I started my Q in the driveway showing it to friends and family, that was a wrong move, I decided I had have enough for the day and brought it down to land. When I did so the quad started to go full speed to port and right under my car....:mad::mad:. Fortunately there was no damage to the quad, except for all 4 props got obliterated and I had to polish my bumper afterwards. Once I got in the house I plugged it in to my laptop, ran all calibrations and tests and it was fine.

But that Geo fence is larger than expected....

And don't forget to put a micro SD card into you ST10 ground station. No need to be a fast or big one, I have a cheap, old 2GB in to record the flight log data. This enough for several hours fun on air.
But if some unexpected happens, then the flight log data may help to explain what was the reason.

br HE

I'm still waiting for my first flight. This wind in Virginia is getting old.
Thanks for all the tips, I will try to remember them all when it comes time to fly,
but I'm sure my pucker power will be high.

Advice for newbies should include,

When starting off, don't show off.

Balance the props.

Are the prop O rings on? Properly tighten the props.

Plan ahead and charge the controller too.

Check all switches on the controller to verify they're were you want them.

Start off low and slow. About 25' up.

Trees are closer than they appear.

Don't fly over something you can't pay for in cash. (Until you are very skilled and confident, or just really wealthy)

I'm sure I'll think of more. This post is a good idea. When I started flying I learned alot from these forums. Let's share the knowledge!

Ok. I have had my 500+ since April 15. It is better to take off in angle mode then switch to smart..I don't know why they tell new owners to use smart mode. If you do, remember the 26 ft minimum rule. Your quad will. It is way too easy to inadvertently bump a switch. Make yourself a mental check list for before you power up. Low and slow will keep you and your Q safe. Have fun.

For those coming from something like a Hubsan. (Myself 1 H107c+ and a larger H501s) When landing your Q500 or Q500+ Do Not pull both sticks down and outboard! This will NOT kill the props! When my Q500+ got down and had a small bounce, my reflex was to do the above to stop the blades, I GUARANTEE that you will break the rear ones. Hope this helps.

Amanda im about to fly my 1st with my q500 and what do you reccommend i take off in..smart mode or angle..thank you

Ok. I have had my 500+ since April 15. It is better to take off in angle mode then switch to smart..I don't know why they tell new owners to use smart mode. If you do, remember the 26 ft minimum rule. Your quad will. It is way too easy to inadvertently bump a switch. Make yourself a mental check list for before you power up. Low and slow will keep you and your Q safe. Have fun.
Take off in angle then switch to smart..how long after getting off the ground do you switch the controls

I'm a new owner also of the q500..How would you recommend I fly for my 1st time...Angle Mode or Smart Mode & what pointers can you give me..If you do take off in angle mode how long after you switch to smart mode..I just wanna make sure im ready to fly before I take this bad boy up for a ride

I'm a new owner also of the q500..How would you recommend I fly for my 1st time...Angle Mode or Smart Mode & what pointers can you give me..If you do take off in angle mode how long after you switch to smart mode..I just wanna make sure im ready to fly before I take this bad boy up for a ride

How experienced are you with flying quadcopters? I started with the little Hubsans and Symas, then a Blade QX2 before getting a Q500+.

Take off and land in Angle mode. For the Q I never fly in Smart mode unless I want to use the follow me function.

I've been flying my two Q5004k's for 6 months. I started with a small Dronium II from Best Buy, to get used to flying and knowing how to capture video, without FPV. It helped A LOT, because I've made several great videos of objects now, only needing to glance at the video feed to see if the object is centered in the shot. I also read through the guides and manuals for the Typhoon, and understood them completely, before trying to fly it. I knew about being far away from the Typhoon, if taking off in Smart Mode. I knew about Home mode, and how it will climb to a higher altitude if it's low, and maintain it's current altitude if it's high, before returning home. Anything I wasn't fully understanding, I looked for in YouTube videos. Any questions you have, can be answered somewhere on YouTube. All my updates have been completed successfully, just by doing what others showed on YouTube. Check your props before each flight. I've never had one come off, but even with the "O'' rings, and tightening with the included tool, the props will slightly loosen, depending on how long you flew, how quick of a descent you made, how long the descent is, whether or not a bug or something flew in the props path......many things to consider. Checking the tightness of the props takes less than 15 seconds, so why not check them? ALWAYS check the LED at the battery door, to make sure the system is in the mode you selected, and the system isn't trying to tell you you're in a no-fly zone, initialization failed, or any other important thing it might be trying to tell you. I always check for a good number of satellites on both the Typhoon and the ST10. Keep checking on the LED status periodically throughout your flight as well. It can be telling you a number of things that might just save you from crashing, if you notice it. Even low battery voltage is given by the lights beneath the motors flashing. Keep the cover over the gimbal/camera whenever possible, especially when traveling to where you want to fly. Check the rubber dampers on the gimbal, to see if any are slipping out. Run fishing line, a wire tie or a bread tie through the dampers, in case the gimbal gets loose in-flight. When flying over water, be prepared to swim for your Typhoon, if it takes a swim. I attach a GetterBack to the landing gear, and take along snorkel gear and a floatation vest, in case you end up swimming longer than planned. Be insured, and always check out the area you're flying in before take off, for alternate places to land. I take along a 4' X 6' heavy duty rolled up rubber door mat, to have a smooth clearing in grassy/weeded areas, which also keeps my camera lens clean if taking off from dry dirt. Safety cones around the mat let others know to keep clear of it. Learn to catch your Typhoon, with one finger on the motor kill button, in case an animal or unattended child ends up on your landing spot. Many of these things I learned, because I fly a lot, sometimes just driving around unfamiliar places to film neat looking areas. Check the area for ALL trees, power lines, light poles and small wire spans. If you're on someones property, ask for permission to be there, let them know what you're plans are, and offer pics as a kind gesture, and a welcome back to their property. When in a city, ask cops if there's a problem with flying where you're at. In doing so, I've had cops offer to come park with their strobes on, to keep my landing area clear of onlookers. Safety first!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me