Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cell towers / radio masts - No Go!

Reaction score
I've just been up on a hill overlooking our town in a field that hosts several cell towers and other peculiar looking antennas.
I wanted to film the old Stone tower that you see in the photos.
Having read various related posts on this forum, i proceeded with extreme caution and was quite nervous as I've not long fixed my H from a recent crash.
I took off at least 100 meters away from all the masts and hovered at about 10 feet up to see if there's any interference or anomalies in control.
The H wouldn't hover still, went up and down like a yoyo but not a lot.
Then i flew it just a little forwards, backwards, sideways, it didn't like it at all, neither did I!
I decided this was way too spooky for me and not to proceed but had trouble landing it.
The grass was long around my takeoff spot, there were trees nearby and the H was no longer reacting to back or forwards, only sideways and turn.
I managed to get it to a fairly ok landing spot by turning it and flying sideways and landed it, however, when i turned the props off, they fired up again!
Had to turn them off again as it seemed as if it were going to take off and i quickly turned the H off too.
This was a truly horrible experience and I won't be doing it again.
Who knows what frequencies are in use at this site, there are various different masts and antennas and i assume they are high power as they overlook the town and probably supply the signals to that whole region!
So i just went and took photos from the ground instead.
Phew, all safe.IMG_20190521_190954165_HDR.jpgIMG_20190521_191102413_HDR.jpgIMG_20190521_191226328_HDR.jpgIMG_20190521_191549060.jpgIMG_20190521_191715849_HDR.jpg

Wouldn't allow anything like that in my area, the locals would be up arms, they don't allow masts because of health and planning issues. I take it the isle of Mann isn't an area of outstanding natural beauty, with strict planning regulations?

Wouldn't allow anything like that in my area, the locals would be up arms, they don't allow masts because of health and planning issues. I take it the isle of Mann isn't an area of outstanding natural beauty, with strict planning regulations?
Actually it is! Furthermore there is an active campaign going on to stop them putting a 5g mast up there! Its awful!

Big Brother is watching!
Seriously, I have had some of the same issues with the H Plus wanting to wander and not shutting
off completely. Do not know what causes the failure to shut down completely. Once I feel there is any control issue I hit the RTL switch and it responds and lands immediately with no further issues.

When landed and you see it won't power-off it's motors, use the emergency-breakdown : Press the red button (which you use to start the motors), 3 times.

Last edited:
When landed and you see it won't power-off it's motors, use the emergency-beakdown : Press the red button (which you use to start the motors), 3 times.
I think I few pilots are landing and waiting for the motor tone to change before shutting down, if the left joystick isn't correctly positioned it won't shut down properly even become unstable and tip over.

I think I few pilots are landing and waiting for the motor tone to change before shutting down, if the left joystick isn't correctly positioned it won't shut down properly even become unstable and tip over.
Yep, you have to go perfectly vertically down with your stick, and land on a quiet horizontal surface !!! If not, he think it is still flying. In that case : megerancy shut-down !
I had a crash once, where some rotors still were running. Communication lost with the remote as the camera fell off also. Did not try the emergency-stop, but, did hurt myself quiet a lot as I tilt up the drone, and other rotors started to spin. Lot's of blood :(
Be carefull in such cases. Let it deplete it's batteries and do NOT attempt to recover it.
When the emergency-stops does not work, and you have rotors still running, DON'T touch the beast !

Actually, this is off-topic, but I wanted to share my bloody experience.

Now, as in this topic, was it that hard to fly in these masts-aera ? Did you check the KP-index ?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval