Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

cgo3+ mbits?!

Reaction score
can someone please just clarify this for me.
on the Box of typhon h is stated that the cam produces 60mbits.
In several threads I read that its not capable of doing it.But on a recent video I made it showed me around 168000kbps! Isn't that around 168mbits or am I getting something wrong?!

thx for your guys reply

need to see a screenshot ideally but yes, it was 60Mbps maximum, i don't believe anyone has got close to that though.

my camera is away getting replaced so i can't test it, if you post exact settings and firmware etc someone else can maybe test their own.

do you have a gopro or the like to get a comparison?

That does look a little odd :)

The encoder in the camera is a variable bit rate, which means that (unlike GoPros and other action cams), it doesn't produce a constant size of data. Instead the data rate drops when there's less going on in the video. So the 60mbps figure is a peak rate that you're unlikely to see in normal drone footage which is quite sedate. I've seen rates of around 58mbps in particularly busy scenes, but lower values are more normal.

Reactions: Rayray
As you can see from the tables below, both Yuneec and DJI can advertise 60Mbps because both the 4K camera on the Phantom 4, and CGO3+ on the Typhoon H have a maximum frame rate at 4K (3840x2160) of 30fps 4K requires a minimum bit rate of 45 Mbps to get the 30fps. Most everyone has said the actual bit rate of the CGO3+ is 50 Mbps with 60 Mbps for a short burst. (3840x2160) is called Quad HD and is a consumer format, while 4096x2160 is a multiplex theater format with a maximum 25fps on both platforms. Yuneec is true when they say 4K 30fps, they just don't come out and tell you it's for the 3840x2160 Quad HD consumer 4K format. So while for a short burst you will get 60Mbps, per the chart below, 45Mbps is all that's required at 30fps and the CGO3+ does 50Mbps. 60Mbps is probably stretching the truth for both DJI and Yuneec, imagine that.

Right from Google -
upload_2016-10-3_14-58-22.png

Phantom 4 Camera Specs right from DJI
upload_2016-10-3_14-59-46.png

Typhoon H Camera Specs right from Yuneec
upload_2016-10-3_15-5-45.png

I have a hero4 silver that I will compare with,but I think there must be a mistake somewhere cause I very unlikely that my video will have more than triple the amount of Mbits that yuneec states as maximum!!!

actually when I look,I opened the properties in movie maker while I was trying to cut the vid.Could it be that movie maker recognizes a false bit rate?

Yuneec originally advertised 100Mbps. the CGO3+ actually tops out at 50Mbps in the heavily pre-processed "Gorgeous" mode. 40-42Mbps in "Natural" mode and 29-32Mbps in their interpretation of "Raw" (Actually a bad implementation of Log)

The GoPro uses a VBR (everyone does but Tuna doesn't understand that) and records all modes at 60Mbps on the Hero 4 Black the H4S tops out at 50Mbps. The Phantom 4 is 60Mbps so is the X5 (but it's a M43 and has the advantages of the larger sensor) The Mavic is also looking to be 60Mbps with a variable focus lens. All my numbers are from actual video tests of the cameras. The Yuneec also lacks dynamic range compared to the GoPro and the DJI cameras (about 2 1/2 stops less DR) which is why the other cameras do better with clouds

As you can see from the tables below, both Yuneec and DJI can advertise 60Mbps because both the 4K camera on the Phantom 4, and CGO3+ on the Typhoon H have a maximum frame rate at 4K (3840x2160) of 30fps 4K requires a minimum bit rate of 45 Mbps to get the 30fps. Most everyone has said the actual bit rate of the CGO3+ is 50 Mbps with 60 Mbps for a short burst. (3840x2160) is called Quad HD and is a consumer format, while 4096x2160 is a multiplex theater format with a maximum 25fps on both platforms. Yuneec is true when they say 4K 30fps, they just don't come out and tell you it's for the 3840x2160 Quad HD consumer 4K format. So while for a short burst you will get 60Mbps, per the chart below, 45Mbps is all that's required at 30fps and the CGO3+ does 50Mbps. 60Mbps is probably stretching the truth for both DJI and Yuneec, imagine that.

What? There is HD, 2K, 2.7K, UHD and 4K That's the nomenclature. There is no "Required" data rate and going buy what youtube says for upload isn't an indicator of actual required data rates. Both go pro and DJI are giving you 60Mbps data rates and its eaisly verifiable when you get the info on the video.

In the face of facts, let the flame wars commence....

You're a bit late to the party. There were a lot of discussions early on, the variable rate of the CGO3+ (much greater compared with GoPro etc. which is tuned to be almost constant) confused a lot of people - hence all the contradictory threads. :)

DerStig was especially good at mixing up technical terms. He's still giving numbers from the first firmware (it's changed quite a bit since then) and makes it clear that he stopped using the Typhoon shortly after he bought it.

You're a bit late to the party. There were a lot of discussions early on, the variable rate of the CGO3+ (much greater compared with GoPro etc. which is tuned to be almost constant) confused a lot of people - hence all the contradictory threads. :)

DerStig was especially good at mixing up technical terms. He's still giving numbers from the first firmware (it's changed quite a bit since then) and makes it clear that he stopped using the Typhoon shortly after he bought it.

I'm not the one mixing anything up. That's you and it's painfully obvious that you get your information from googling and not from actual use

actually when I look,I opened the properties in movie maker while I was trying to cut the vid.Could it be that movie maker recognizes a false bit rate?
can someone please just clarify this for me.
on the Box of typhon h is stated that the cam produces 60mbits.
In several threads I read that its not capable of doing it.But on a recent video I made it showed me around 168000kbps! Isn't that around 168mbits or am I getting something wrong?!

thx for your guys reply
That is really weird. I wonder if its a Windows 10 codec conversion bug. I just did a sample at 3840x2160 29.97fps and I'm showing a bitrate of 49.968Mbps on both my Mac and HP Windows notebook using the latest firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval