Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charger for Typhoon H flashing red and green while trying to charge

Reaction score
Hi,
I am sorry if this is already asked and answered in previous threads.
I have seen answers for my question given for Q500 chargers on other threads, but not Typhoon H chargers and batteries.
So, my question is... Why, when I charge a particular battery am I seeing both the red AND green lights flashing at the same time (at different speeds though).
I haven't seen this with any other batteries that I have charged. All my batteries are original OEM brand, and yes, 2 of my 3 have puffing a little. But this is the ONLY one showing this light pattern while charging/trying to charge.
Its been hours on the charger so far - but still no long "completed" beep either, and it doesnt feel at all warm.

Hi,
I am sorry if this is already asked and answered in previous threads.
I have seen answers for my question given for Q500 chargers on other threads, but not Typhoon H chargers and batteries.
So, my question is... Why, when I charge a particular battery am I seeing both the red AND green lights flashing at the same time (at different speeds though).
I haven't seen this with any other batteries that I have charged. All my batteries are original OEM brand, and yes, 2 of my 3 have puffing a little. But this is the ONLY one showing this light pattern while charging/trying to charge.
Its been hours on the charger so far - but still no long "completed" beep either, and it doesnt feel at all warm.
Most likely that Battery's Voltage has fallen Below 3.0 Volts Per Cell, the Light Patterns are described on the Top of the Charger, but it does not Indicate what RED & GREEN Flashing at the same time means, DO NOT STORE YOUR BATTERIES FULLY CHARGED FOR MORE THAN A DAY OR TWO, IT WILL RUIN YOUR BATTERIES! They should be stored at 50% Capacity (15.1 to 15.4 Volts). Yuneec OEM Chargers do not have a Storage Mode, like the DY3.
LiPo Batteries 10.2.png

Reactions: Seachange01
Red/green blinking means cell balancing. Cell balancing means the charger tries to charge all 4 cells up to the same voltage. For a good battery the difference in voltage between the cells should < 50mV. I do not know exactly the threshold of the cheap and poor Yuneec stock charger but it should in this area.
For older batteries the cells may have different aging characteristics. This may be a harder job for the charger to blance the voltage of the cells. If one ore more of the cells are bad balancing may no more possible (blinking never ends).

You can try following:
Buy a better charger that is able to bring the batteries to storage voltage. This strongly recommended to increase the life time of the batteries. Those charger have usually a better ability to balance cells.
You can measure cell voltage with a good multimeter to check cell voltage. The battery that has problems with balancing should be closely monitored and no longer used for critical flights. However, I think it has reached end of life.

br HE

Last edited:
D0BC77DD-867F-4855-B618-A5F413C10705.jpeg
The outer contacts are the main full pack contacts that supply power to the aircraft. The main negative contact and the four to its right are the balancing leads used during the balancing phase of charging. The SC4000 charger looks at those when the battery is first inserted and will try to balance if the cells have too large of a difference.

Use a multimeter to measure each cells voltage and report your findings. Measure the first pair of contacts for cell 1, then move to the second and third contacts for cell 2, and so on through cell 4.

So on the dy3 do you actually leave it in idle running? How long does one do this.

So on the dy3 do you actually leave it in idle running? How long does one do this.
I’m not really sure what you are asking here Peter. With any charger, once the task is completed the battery should be removed as soon as possible. If you have a battery that is still in the process of charging after being on the charger for 2 hours, there is likely a problem with the battery or the charger. If the charger works with other batteries then the problem is with the battery.

Thanks, I never have left the charger on after use but I was always either too embarrassed to ask yet another dumb question. I do feel bad for wtfd for giving me help and I wasn't a very good student.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish
Thanks, I never have left the charger on after use but I was always either too embarrassed to ask yet another dumb question. I do feel bad for wtfd for giving me help and I wasn't a very good student.
Why the embarrassment, if you dont know is why you ask ? The old saying stands here "the only stupid question is the one not asked"... Never be afraid, and fire away

• Love
Reactions: Mike Irish
When I charge, I watch the battery and time. When I'm not flying, I'm half charged. Charge to 100% only with a cold battery and only before the flight. I have a very good charger - EV-PEAK DY3-1 and it can discharge the battery to 50% and also turns off after charging. This saves the battery for sleep. I also have a worse charger and once I forgot to turn off the charging and there was a problem.

So looking back, I know I charged 3 of my batteries fully with the intent of flying the next day.... the weather God's had other ideas and sent rain. Those batteries went into storage with the drone in the cupboard for MONTHS. I am sure its why they are now puffy. I will be getting a better charger than the OEM one that came with the drone, (I have an EV Peak DV3 on order), and I have 2 new GIFI power 80250 batteries on the way too.
I just couldnt for the life of me find anywhere online that would tell me what the 2 flashing lights together meant. Thanks for ALL the feedback, its been great :)

Tried to reproduce the situation. Red and green LED blinks together when the charger works in the balancing stage of the charging. This is the final stage when the charger tries to prepare the voltage of the cells to be equal or almost equal. If this is not possible, it will try to infinity without the complete beep. In my case, this balancing was around 20 minutes or so.

If the battery is bad or the voltage is dropped below the predetermined limit, we will get a steady blue light from the most left LED.

Tried to reproduce the situation. Red and green LED blinks together when the charger works in the balancing stage of the charging. This is the final stage when the charger tries to prepare the voltage of the cells to be equal or almost equal. If this is not possible, it will try to infinity without the complete beep. In my case, this balancing was around 20 minutes or so.

If the battery is bad or the voltage is dropped below the predetermined limit, we will get a steady blue light from the most left LED.
So here is where I bow my head in shame lol. I had been looking all over the web trying to find something that would decipher the light flashing and what it meant, in the end I came here. It was after reading your post and one other when I realized... OMG.. its written right in front of me on top of the charging unit.
Yes, clearly I need to get some glasses... or go back to school. lol
All the best with flying and thanks so much for the help and info.

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
Most likely that Battery's Voltage has fallen Below 3.0 Volts Per Cell, the Light Patterns are described on the Top of the Charger, but it does not Indicate what RED & GREEN Flashing at the same time means, DO NOT STORE YOUR BATTERIES FULLY CHARGED FOR MORE THAN A DAY OR TWO, IT WILL RUIN YOUR BATTERIES! They should be stored at 50% Capacity (15.1 to 15.4 Volts). Yuneec OEM Chargers do not have a Storage Mode, like the DY3.
View attachment 24267
So here is where I bow my head in shame lol.
I don't know how, but I had totally missed your part of the response that said
"the Light Patterns are described on the Top of the Charger". I think I was more caught up looking at the pic lol
I had been looking all over the web trying to find something that would decipher the light flashing and what it meant, in the end I came here. It was after reading your post and one other when I realized... OMG.. its written right in front of me on top of the charging unit.
Yes, clearly I need to get some glasses... or go back to school. lol
All the best with flying and thanks so much for the help and info.

I canceled my last 2 eye appointments because of a procedure that doc mcgoo needs to do. Passed the driver's eye test with ease and nothing has fallen off yet.

Believe me at 70 it's true. I was just watching an old Sanford and sons and all I can think of is the one where Fred decides he wants to step out in fancy duds and Lamont says" and where do you think you're going? Fred says "I still have wild oats to sow and Lamont says "at your age all you got is shredded wheat!!

Reactions: johnnyb57

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval