Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Choosing a video card for the TH camera

R

Rayray

Choosing a video card for the TH camera. Micro-cards for the TH camera continue to be a hot topic, and one that arouses various opinions This Chart is current, and covers the new Video Rating (V) appearing now on cards. The SPEED indicated is the Minimum, and cards, the UHS-3's for example, may have write speeds up to 80. The CGO3+ needs a 50 Mbps or higher write card. (The READ speed is not important)

Modern SD Cards-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Geez Ray I wasn't aware of this. According to this chart my Samsung Pro 128GB U3 card is only capable of 30MB/s write? Really?? Thanks for the post!

Geez Ray I wasn't aware of this. According to this chart my Samsung Pro 128GB U3 card is only capable of 30MB/s write? Really?? Thanks for the post!

No no, John. These are MINIMUM write speeds given, then you go by the card manufacturer's MAXIMUM write spec. Sorry I failed to make that clear enough.Your card writes at 60 MB/S:

SSProCard.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JohnL
Not specific to video per se, but to the amount of data that can be processed onto the card in a period of time. Each level of HD, 720, 1080, 2k, 4k, shoves more and more data out to be stored/written and ideally that data goes to the card without being restricted/limited if the card is fast enough to process the data rate. A slower card may have to buffer the data and in the process lose some, mix some, or just fail to capture all that is sent to it. Works the same way for high pixel count cameras with really fast still shot per second capability. My Sony a6000 shoots a continuous 11 still frames per second at 24mpxl/photo and the fastest cards I can find back up and start buffering at about the 20 frame mark. I can shoot much faster than cards can store and often mess up some pictures if I don't back off and let the card catch up.

Something else to take from this is it pays to use high quality SD cards. Consistency matters.

I always understood the Class10 SD cards were necessary for full 1080 video recording but I haven't made myself aware of the UHS or VSC speed classes...until now. I guess it stands to reason that the C10 SD card that came with the Typhoon is like the bare minimum for 4K recording and probably isn't going to give you consistent 4K quality. I'll be looking into getting a V60 card today (just to be sure). Got some awesome footage so far but it would be just that much better if my camera were actually capturing at 4K all the time.
I noticed the same for my Canon DSLR...I had to get a higher quality card so I could take full advantage of burst shooting in RAW.

Good information
Thanks!

edit: Took a proper gander at my H card. Appears it's a U3 after all. Nice...but I'm still going to upgrade it. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval