Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Calibration -- Does not match manual

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Typhoon H and, I am confused. The firmware is updated on both the ST16, the aircraft, and the camera, and I took it out last night to do a compass calibration and (hopefully) fly it for the first time. However, when the compass calibration started, it did not match the LED configurations in the manual, and I am unsure how to proceed with it.

When I begin the calibration, it starts as usual (main LED blinking red/green, all motor LEDs blinking). The nose of the aircraft is facing north. Then, instead of the left and right motors lighting up green and red, I get two motors (that are separated by 120 degrees, not 180) lighting up. I'll rotate the aircraft between them about 1.5 times, and, around that point in time (usually while the aircraft is upside down), a new set of LEDs will come on -- again usually separated by 120 degrees. I'll finish flipping the aircraft over, turn it to match the new LEDs, and flip it again. About 1.5 turns later (again, the aircraft is upside down), the LEDs will change again -- and so on. The third time or so they are usually LEDs separated by 180 degrees, but, at the end of the day, the calibration fails and I have no clue what's happening.

Any ideas? I'm quite lost here and any help is appreciated.

Reactions: JMB
The newest software updates are ahead of the manual.
The intent is the same.
You are correct to follow the sequence of the lights.
If after a compass calibration the H circles (toilet bowls) in a hover, then there was some magnetic interference nearby or during calibration.
My driveway rebar can make it hunt when landing, so I sometimes have to hand catch it.

Are you removing the camera, before doing the calibration? Doing so, will provide 2 benefits... it will save wear and tear on the camera and make the calibration process, smoother and easier to complete in the timeframe needed to not fail... 20 - 30 seconds.

There are several threads on compass calibration worth reviewing. ?

Great--thank you both! I've looked through a couple of threads here, some saying to leave the camera on, some saying to leave it off, some with what I now know is the "old" calibration scheme...honestly, it's a little confusing to me. I'll keep reading and see if I can make some more sense of it, but I appreciate the help!

Anyhow, I'm calibrating in the middle of a cul-de-sac where I previously calibrated a DJI Phantom 3, but I know that I'm within 50 feet of some reinforced concrete and 100 feet from underground power lines, so I'll definitely try going further afield.

That said, what is the correct calibration method for the new software? Which direction do I flip it in when the lights come on?

Always worth giving it a quick flight first, just to make sure everything is working as it should, doing a calibration may introduce problems which make diagnosis harder if there are problems. Your sure whether the problems if any were there, our did the user introduce.

When you have updated the firmware you need to do the Accelerometer calibration and the compass calibration.

When you do the compass calibration do so in an open grassy area away from any forms of electrical and magnetic interference. Start with the aircraft pointing to magnetic north and rotate the aircraft away from you.

Do this on a solid level surface. My personal preference is with the aircraft pointing to true north, although that is not recommended by Yuneec and others.

Yah... But.. What about those lights 120 deg apart? That ain't normal. Can anyone shed some light on what might cause that? I've tried calibration in some messed up places before. Never saw the lights come up like that.

Agreed... under normal circumstances it is recommended to not keep your cell nearby when doing any calibration... however in this case I would suggest that if that 120° pattern shows up again, try to get a photo to document that and post it here... there is no way to successfully complete that calibration without the flashing lights being 180° apart (and therefore on a common axis to be rotated around).

OK, good news: it worked! I got the heck away from anything vaguely metal, took off the camera, and followed this process.

First: Start with the nose of the aircraft facing me and the tail facing (roughly) north.

1) When the first set of LEDs lit up (which were 120 degrees apart), I rotated the aircraft such that they made a line parallel to me on the far side of the aircraft. This required a 30 degree CCW rotation.

2) I then flipped the aircraft toward me, using those two frame arms to guide the rotation. I went through 2 flips, and LEDs changed after 1.5 or 1.75 flips.

3) The next set of LEDs were also 120 degrees apart, and, to position them same as the first set of LEDs, I rotated the aircraft 60 degrees CCW, and then followed step 2. Steps 2 and 3 repeat four more times (if I remember correctly).

Compass calibration ended in success. Thanks for the help! It's also worth mentioning, with reference to the frame arms lighting up in an odd interval, I did check the internal wiring: all was connected correctly. Couple of internal cracks (this was a floor model, and I'm seeing why), but nothing that JB weld can't fix.

Reactions: cmtrl1995

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval