Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Warning! Whats going on?

Having gone into the portal today to check on it, mine has still not been "received" yet. I do however have confirmation that it was delivered to the repair depot. I dont expect any activity this weekend so will check back on Monday and see where it sits then. I used to have a couple of Q500's that I guess I could have used now but I sold them. The weather here is in a transition to cold and wet right now, and with the daylight savings time applied I dont get much time for it anyway.

Having gone into the portal today to check on it, mine has still not been "received" yet. I do however have confirmation that it was delivered to the repair depot. I dont expect any activity this weekend so will check back on Monday and see where it sits then. I used to have a couple of Q500's that I guess I could have used now but I sold them. The weather here is in a transition to cold and wet right now, and with the daylight savings time applied I dont get much time for it anyway.
I feel the pain, I have freestyle quads and planes. I flew them over the last week, was nice but it made me miss flying the h more. My status says received and hasn't changed since wed, I called them to check the status, (planning a trip to duluth this weekend) so I wanted to see if by any chance i would have the H. She said its been assigned a technician and he has 7-10 business days to turn around. So I need a backup bad, black friday is almost here and Im gonna take advantage.

I feel the pain, I have freestyle quads and planes. I flew them over the last week, was nice but it made me miss flying the h more. My status says received and hasn't changed since wed, I called them to check the status, (planning a trip to duluth this weekend) so I wanted to see if by any chance i would have the H. She said its been assigned a technician and he has 7-10 business days to turn around. So I need a backup bad, black friday is almost here and Im gonna take advantage.
Mine has just changed to "received" too, so our timelines should only be a few days apart. Keep posting your updates!

Mine has just changed to "received" too, so our timelines should only be a few days apart. Keep posting your updates!
Mine Still says ready for repair, its been a week with that status. They are slow I wish I would have just repaired it myself now. I had to go buy another UAS for the jobs that were not getting done. This is why I never put all my eggs in one basket. So since its Thanksgiving tomorrow, it wont get repaired till next week, hopefully I will see it by next weekend. If not then that will be my last yuneec product for awhile.

Nothing new, still at "received" point. Might have it back by Xmas at this rate.
Sorry to hear they are taking their time. Good that they do that then rush it. I got mine back today, they checked it over and found no issues and no toilet bowl effect. I went out today and filmed me and my son playing football, needless to say it did it immediately, turning off the compass did not help it this time. So I am ordering a new compass and just gonna install myself along with a pixero lens. I gave them a chance and now its time to truly enjoy my H. Good luck on yours hope you have a better ending then I did.

Sorry to hear they are taking their time. Good that they do that then rush it. I got mine back today, they checked it over and found no issues and no toilet bowl effect. I went out today and filmed me and my son playing football, needless to say it did it immediately, turning off the compass did not help it this time. So I am ordering a new compass and just gonna install myself along with a pixero lens. I gave them a chance and now its time to truly enjoy my H. Good luck on yours hope you have a better ending then I did.

Well in my case they have implicit instructions to first replace the GPS/Compass module, then stress test it. Also to fully inspect it though I’m not sure what that means. If mine gives the same trouble upon getting it back, it will be another phone call and I’ll ask to have it replaced (proving log files once again). If I had to wait months and still not fixed I will suggest it might be the only way. I’m hoping it will just come back fixed though.

After being at the repair depo in Ont. now since the 20th of November I decided to bang off a little email to Yuneec CS again to see what kind of response I might get. I just asked how long I might be expecting before it gets looked at. At first I got the automated response giving me the same URL to the portal I’ve been watching for weeks. Then I get a real person answer my request:

“Thank you for contacting Yuneec! While we aim for a 7-10 business day completion of repairs, repairs are processed in the order they are received in, and the time it takes to reach your repair depends on the severity of the repairs received ahead of yours. For more specific updates, please contact Staples' repair center direction at (905) xxx-xxxx. If we can help you with anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thank you,”

Called the number today and spoke to someone who asked me for the usual things to see where I was in the que. He then said that the parts had not yet arrived from Yuneec, and that they are waiting on them. I asked the tech if they could please email me with any info on the parts arriving or any news at all.

So I responded to Yuneec CS again with:

“Hello,

Thank you for the human reply. I called Staples and the tech told me they are waiting on the parts from your end. If the 7-10 day turn around was in place I’d think that the parts would be there by now. Can you confirm parts have been shipped to them or if they are not?

Thank you,“

I have not yet received a reply from either Yuneec CS or Staples repair depo.

Just dropped by in the forums after a long time away and I find this thread ewhich I have not had time to read fully yet (it's late) but seems to relate to an issue I had last June and my H still sits in pieces after a crash.
I went out to the States of Jersey to do a job, re-calibrated the compass etc and flew the drone a few times. First time I had an error message, something like "Compass error - Magnetic anomaly land immediately, so with difficulty I did. A while later I got the same error only this time I was in close proximity to some trees. The error message took up the whole screen of the ST16 and would not go away so I was blind on FPV and I had just lost site of the H due to the trees behind them. I also got a battery warning and so in a panic tried to bring the drone home but it ended up on the deck having hit the tree.
Anyway, perhaps someone can update me on where we are with this issue as I have to send it into Yuneec UK.
Thanks

It seems to me there were quite a few H’s that have faulty GPS/Compass modules. Mine didn’t act strange till after FW update, so not sure if it was that or something else that triggered its failure. It’s a spuratic thing though as it sometimes doesn’t effect the birds flight, yet sometimes it does. For me it was after FW update, but not happening all the time. It was like it needed to heat up first to cause the issue(perhaps but maybe not). Some batteries flown went fine, and others after a few flights started to show the compass error on screen. The last time I flew the first battery flew fine but the second it toilet bowled like something else making it very hard to land. Inexperienced pilots would have their hands full for sure. Yuneec has my H and are replacing the GPS and full testing before sending back. It’s been at the repair facility now since November 20th, but it’s covered under warranty for me.
It seems to be a known issue for CS based on my conversation with a tech, but they aren’t announcing that. I do find it odd that they state a projected turn around of 7-10 days, yet the repair facility is waiting on parts from them. To me they are just putting me off as they are heavy into many repairs, or Yuneec isn’t supplying the parts fast enough.
So still I wait. I’ve been reporting here every so often with any changes to keep people abreast of what goes on and how long it takes. I’m waiting on a reply to an email sent days ago asking why parts aren’t there yet.

I had 2 warnings, brand new out of the box today. Going to fly it tomorrow and see what happens.

Not sure about mine, but i read this entire thread and as an Engineer that came from manufacturing, this is definitely a Yuneec problem. The pattern is to consistent.
Percentage of total manufactured who knows but it is a problem.
If mine acts the same....return/refund.

When I purchased my H back in March, I did updates and haven't had any issues. Now every once in a while I get compass warning, I do shut down the H and then back on, everything is fine. Compass warning is depended on how many satellites it sees.
Also compass calibration must be done in a wide open field away from buildings and trees. Calibrate H pointing north.

Exact same thing happened to me. Prior to landing, the H responded oddly. Seemed to circle a little, got a GPS failure warning, not a compass warning. Landed in turtle mode. H skipped across the ground then flipped over. Flew the H 3 times before this incident within 15 or so minutes and no problem. That is, landing, shutting down, turning back on, taking off, etc. Only damage now is 3 broken props. Checked telemetry data and nothing stands out of place. Shows plenty of sats. I did the firmware updates on the controller and H. Also performed calibrations prior to flying. All were confirmed to be successful. I think there is a glitch in the new firmware update but cannot prove it.

FYI, I also noticed upon landing the motors did not want to idle even if you hold the control stick all the way down, and this was for 10 to 15 seconds. As I centered the stick back you could see and here the H motors accelerating, I could see if I didn't take off it would tip over, happened several weeks in a row. In those few weeks once I landed with these issues I used the off button to shut down rather than waiting for the motors going to idle.

has anyone tried replacing the gps/compass with a good aftermarket one ?
I’m not in the habit of throwing more money at a manufacturers defect. Apparently Yuneec agrees with me and is accepting responsibility for the issue. It’s the time it’s taking and the two different stories from CS and Staples that I’m not happy about. Still no change as of today and no response or communication from either party.

Exact same thing happened to me. Prior to landing, the H responded oddly. Seemed to circle a little, got a GPS failure warning, not a compass warning. Landed in turtle mode. H skipped across the ground then flipped over. Flew the H 3 times before this incident within 15 or so minutes and no problem. That is, landing, shutting down, turning back on, taking off, etc. Only damage now is 3 broken props. Checked telemetry data and nothing stands out of place. Shows plenty of sats. I did the firmware updates on the controller and H. Also performed calibrations prior to flying. All were confirmed to be successful. I think there is a glitch in the new firmware update but cannot prove it.
I believe the FW may have tripped an issue with the hardware, or cause a failure. Pure speculation, but it’s where I am with it.

Reactions: stedgar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval