Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Warning! Whats going on?

I have the same feelings as you about most of the issues I see on forums and sites. You can be sure there are a lot of cases where people just are not in tune with how these things work, and that's where things go wrong for sure. However I can assure you I'm not one of those people. I have been flying quads from home built to ARF DJI units that require you to install and test the components to even get it off the ground. I'm at this hobby quite awhile now, and I can tell you, this H has stopped performing the way it should. It's not a matter of inexperience in my case, because although I'm open to anything new I can learn (as I don't Know it all,nor claim to) I'm confident in my ability to understand that something with this bird changed. There's no excuse you can give me that would make me think I'm doing something wrong. I read, I apply, and most importantly I understand why certain things happen. When my bird wasn't flying straight, I listened to the reports that suggested pointing North during calibration was indeed important. Problem solved. Now this toilet bowl thing comes around and no one seems to know why. I'm afraid sir this is not one to be chocked up to user error. No sir. I repeat...something has changed with my H and many others since this FW update. Perhaps Yuneec is sending you product and you are trying to defend them, I dont know, but you dont seem to believe it's an issue simply because you arent having it and it's easy to blame it on user error. Not the case here my friend...simply not the case.
One common factor here, it updated and came with a toilet bowl effect that most will panic and crash if they see their bird doing this on is own. This update has been around since march and they won't address it.

Reactions: Niblett
Since so many that installed this update have no problems but only a few do, try calling Yuneec to learn what they think.

Since so many that installed this update have no problems but only a few do, try calling Yuneec to learn what they think.
Somehow I don't think Yuneec is going to admit there is a hardware fault in some but not all units, nor that a fw fix will be made available to the "small" number that are experiencing issues after the update. That would mean identifying which are the problem units P/N first; that would be nearly impossible. Is it a bad IC? A resistor? Bad solder joints? Does anyone really know? What I do know is not all Typhoon H GPS units are created equal. The GPS on my H is weak; simply passing my hand over it throws out GPS errors. OTOH I rarely get compass errors (can't remember the last time it errored). However, both must work in unison with precision and accuracy because if one or the other disagrees on directional estimates, there will be big problems very quickly.

3DR had faulty GPS units on the Solo, and eventually replaced the Rev A with Rev B units, but it was too little too late. They made a fw fix for the Rev A but they are still very spotty quality. There were other user fixes that improved performance to make them more reliable, but why should they have to do that? Had 3DR used the available M8N units instead of the 7 model, it all could have been avoided.

It all worked out in the end because I can now buy a Solo for $199 :)

BTW, my H does not hold position as well as it used to before the update for what it's worth, and is more difficult to land. Edit: with that said, given the choice over again, I'd still buy the H; best value for a hexa out there and overall pleased with the purchase.

Last edited:
Glider,

In general I agree with you, right up until the passing the hand over the GPS part. It’s very common for a human hand to block GPS signal, even with military grade GPS antennas. I’ve performed that check on military UAV’s many times using a hand or by leaning over an antenna.

Are some Yuneec GPS/compass units less than they should be? Absolutely, but a firmware upgrade will not be what makes that become evident, unless the new GPS firmware code is defective, in which case all the GPS units would show problems.

I don’t dispute there are bad parts out there but it gets old reading everyone blame a firmware upgrade for their problems. If everyone had a problem after an upgrade the plausibility of bad firmware becomes fact, but if only a few people suddenly have problems after an upgrade the probability the issue is the person and not the firmware is very, very high.

BTW, Yuneec gives and/or discounts me nothing. I stand in line and pay full price just like most everyone else. Some of the mods on this forum seem to get free stuff, but I sure as heck don’t.

Glider,

In general I agree with you, right up until the passing the hand over the GPS part. It’s very common for a human hand to block GPS signal, even with military grade GPS antennas. I’ve performed that check on military UAV’s many times using a hand or by leaning over an antenna.

Are some Yuneec GPS/compass units less than they should be? Absolutely, but a firmware upgrade will not be what makes that become evident, unless the new GPS firmware code is defective, in which case all the GPS units would show problems.

I don’t dispute there are bad parts out there but it gets old reading everyone blame a firmware upgrade for their problems. If everyone had a problem after an upgrade the plausibility of bad firmware becomes fact, but if only a few people suddenly have problems after an upgrade the probability the issue is the person and not the firmware is very, very high.

BTW, Yuneec gives and/or discounts me nothing. I stand in line and pay full price just like most everyone else. Some of the mods on this forum seem to get free stuff, but I sure as heck don’t.
Pat unless we are a Clint Eastwood, wellllllll for get it.;)

Last edited:
Glider,

I wish I took advantage of the free prop offer :)

Some or all H GPS's may not have proper shielding, or none at all. It could be a poor antenna. It could be any number of things, but running your hand over the GPS should not disable it. Note I did not say cup it, but move it 1-2" above and over the GPS. The Solo GPS suffered the same issues. Recently a company created a replacement GPS which is far superior to the stock GPS (IOW it works). mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade (New)

For DIY projects I use GPS units mostly from CSGShop and Drotek, but do have cheap ones too. This copter uses what was at the time the best GPS CSGShop sold. I can literally take my hand and cup it around the GPS case and it does not lose signal or throw out compass errors. This one is 50mm, highly accurate and still the best I have. Nowadays you can run 3 at a time.
YoPYKUN.png

Normally the code for the GPS is in the fw for the craft and it resets it on each boot up. If there is conflicting code, depending on the module, it may help one and hinder another.

My vote is one or more of the following that is causing issues on some H's:
1) poor shielding
2) EMI interference (even the slightest magnetized screw can wreck a good compass)
3) weak antenna
4) inferior hardware
5) firmware updating all GPS units that is negatively affecting some depending on the module P/N and exacerbating 1-3
6) Lack of ability for auto-compass offset learning and EKF

Reactions: Gaunt1969
Glider,

Im going with the programing, coming from a software side. When the compass gets a error, it immediately toilet bowls like clockwork, I'm saying write a new code, that when an error of compass happens, disable gps and prevent the toilet bowl. I can fly all day without gps. I learned that way flying planes over 10 years ago. That isn't the case for everyone. So a twirling bird will make most nervous and know not to shut the gps off on their own. They try to land a toilet bowling bird. That can be change. It won't fix the shielding but attest the H is controllable.

All of the previous adds more impetus for provision of a quickly accessible external GPS disable button or switch. We don’t need GPS to fly, just for position hold and waypoint navigation.

Some of the mods on this forum seem to get free stuff, but I sure as heck don’t.
You got my attention on that one. I've have yet to get even a missing screw replaced without coughing up the coin.

Received an RMA for repair citing GPS replacement, full inspection, and stress testing. Also I need only bring it to Staples and they look after shipping to repair depot in Ontario. I have to say I’m pretty happy with the service.

Only if Staples has re-vamped their shipping priorities. You might want to stay on top of when they elect to send it to Yuneec. Their track record for timeliness has been rather poor.

Received an RMA for repair citing GPS replacement, full inspection, and stress testing. Also I need only bring it to Staples and they look after shipping to repair depot in Ontario. I have to say I’m pretty happy with the service.

Good luck my fellow pilot. I hate repairs. This is why I started building them. The H was under warranty so I wanted to utilize it. If they don’t fix it. I will, just didn’t want to pay for replacement parts when their free from warranty. I have a lot of rc stuff. As my wife says. Have a rc sale again. I’m having a hard time doing that again. The place mine went to already sent me a email set a account up and asked me to explain my issues. Which I thought was great. They will do what I’ve done and see it toilet bowl.

Good luck my fellow pilot. I hate repairs. This is why I started building them. The H was under warranty so I wanted to utilize it. If they don’t fix it. I will, just didn’t want to pay for replacement parts when their free from warranty. I have a lot of rc stuff. As my wife says. Have a rc sale again. I’m having a hard time doing that again. The place mine went to already sent me a email set a account up and asked me to explain my issues. Which I thought was great. They will do what I’ve done and see it toilet bowl.

Just dropped it off at Staples, had an in depth chat with 2 managers (have their cards) and they say it will go express today. I have requested to be contacted via email with tracking info and they expect to have that for me by the days end. I will post progress here.

Only if Staples has re-vamped their shipping priorities. You might want to stay on top of when they elect to send it to Yuneec. Their track record for timeliness has been rather poor.
Just received a response from Staples after dropping it off an hour and 45 mins ago with tracking info for overnight shipping.

Mine has just arrived at the service depo...now the real wait begins I guess.
Mine has been at the service center since 1130 my time yesterday. Received email from yuneec saying its in safe hands now lol, the place where its at status went from, waiting, received and now ready for repair. So lets see how long the wait is. I didn't think i would miss having it as much as i do. Cant wait to unite again. The good thing is i flew 3 of my other birds that probably wouldn't have flown if the h was around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio