Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Warning! Whats going on?

Pevo
Can you upload your telemetry file? I would like to look at it.

As determined by you or Yuneec? If determined by you, what specific file did you look at to make this determination? Just wondering.
@JohnL it's from the flightlog which was uploaded to Exmaps. Exmaps displays that data on a map and shows various information about the flight. Pevo provided a link earlier in this post.

@JohnL it's from the flightlog which was uploaded to Exmaps. Exmaps displays that data on a map and shows various information about the flight. Pevo provided a link earlier in this post.
Thanks Steve. Guess it's finally time for me to bite the bullet and learn Exmaps. Just don't seem to have the time to even sit down and explore it. Sorry, missed the link by Pevo (my bad).

If determined by you, what specific file did you look at to make this determination?

The data as analyzed by Exmaps, error code 32 (That Exmaps says is Compass Calibration problems). I can see the error code in the telemetry, but I cannot confirm if 32 is, in fact, a compass problem. I would point out, this was my 4th flight - all with the latest firmware. I haven't heard back from Yuneec since Wed, and that was just a request to sent out the telemetry. It was my 2nd flight in Angle mode, but there was literally no time to react. The thing took off full-speed (flying backwards) to where it crashed.

If you can't see the raw data at Exmaps (I just started using it yesterday) I'd be glad to upload the full telemetry file. The worst you'll figure out is what golf course I'm using to fly around, and Exmaps is already showing that :)

Just don't seem to have the time to even sit down and explore it.

Granted, I'm a IT guy, but I literally had my Typhoon H Pro for 18 hours before the flyaway and just joined Exmaps yesterday -- Exmaps is pretty easy. Just upload the file that starts with Telemetry_, that is the file it uses. It took me a few tries to figure that one out. :)

Reactions: JohnL
Upload the telemetry file for us to look at Pevo.

You're not the boss of me. I'll do what I want. ;) Here is are all the files related to my final flight.

Attached are ALL the GPS and Telemetry files from my last two flights. On #14, I spent almost 2 minutes on the ground, applied altitude, it hovered for a moment, then it took off like a bat out of ****. Flying backwards. I applied altitude to clear some trees than threw it into Home mode...and watched it fly away.

Attachments

• FlightLog.zip
    282.3 KB · Views: 17
LOL
OK I really don't want to be your boss so thats fine with me Sir. Just trying to help out if I can.

Last edited:
LOL
OK I really don't want to be your boss so thats fine with me Sir. Just trying to help out if I can. Sorry you are getting all bent out of shape.
Relax son. I think his post was an attempt at sarcastic humor. Didn't you notice the "wink" emoji? ;);)

Did a couple of more flights today with the new firmware. On one occasion, I did get the compass warning. As before, this was when my ST16 was close to the Typhoon H. After backing up a few feet the warning went away and did not return. The H flew fine with no other issues. I tested the Cable Cam and Journey features and they worked as expected.

Relax son. I think his post was an attempt at sarcastic humor. Didn't you notice the "wink" emoji? ;);)
Well I sure hope so John or maybe just a language barrier. LOL didn't know you where old enough to have a son in his late 50's :)

Here what I can see from his file.

From 10:25 to 10:28 you had no compass readings at all. (Error 32) As you got your compass back at 10:28:29 till 10:29 you lost GPS and most of your other readings. At 10:29:42 you lost compass again and at 10:29:56 you also lost satellite for a short period of time. Your compass reading never came back and you hit the RTH switch.

Last edited:
Hi Pevo,
in the second flight you have a massive amount of Compass_calibration_warnings. In both flights you have a bad GPS signal. gps_accH (HDOP) should be below 0.6. Near 1.0 is very poor for 18 sats. Maybe you have reflections from the house when you fly so low. Can check if you have a better GPS if you are in free area (no buildings, no trees) or if you over all this stuff?

Edit: Now I see, you have also bad GPS in 20-30m hight. This should be better there!

The compass seems to be a sensitive thing which leads to unexpected behavior of the aircraft. I have seen two different flights from two different guys here in Germany, who have had the same problems after upgrade to latest firmware.
At 10:29:56 you lost GPS during the flight, HDOP is 1.3, which is poor.

I would recalibrate compass and check, why GPS signal is so weak.

br HE

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnL
Thanks for jumping in. Glad you join the conversation

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

LOL
OK I really don't want to be your boss so thats fine with me Sir. Just trying to help out if I can.

I'm just being a sarcastic *******. :) I appreciate the discussion and learning about my busted up Typhoon H Pro. :)

Hi Pevo,
in the second flight you have a massive amount of Compass_calibration_warnings. In both flights you have a bad GPS signal. gps_accH (HDOP) should be below 0.6. Near 1.0 is very poor for 18 sats. Maybe you have reflections from the house when you fly so low. Can check if you have a better GPS if you are in free area (no buildings, no trees) or if you over all this stuff?

Edit: Now I see, you have also bad GPS in 20-30m hight. This should be better there!

The compass seems to be a sensitive thing which leads to unexpected behavior of the aircraft. I have seen two different flights from two different guys here in Germany, who have had the same problems after upgrade to latest firmware.
At 10:29:56 you lost GPS during the flight, HDOP is 1.3, which is poor.

I would recalibrate compass and check, why GPS signal is so weak.

br HE

Very interesting. I could see GPS issues where I took off for the final flight, I was close to a large tree and a house (10 feet or so), but after that it was a clear day and the GPS should be rock solid. Regardless, the unit is not airworthy. I've been waiting a week to hear from Yuneec if I'm sending this in for repair or if a new unit is being sent out... Thanks for your input!!

Your compass reading never came back and you hit the RTH switch.

I'm fairly sure there was no on-screen warning about the compass. It was my 2nd time using Angle mode so I was still checking every switch before engaging the rotors...but the whole reason I got the H was that RTH functionality to keep me from being an idiot. I was floored to see it not work....but I guess it didn't know what direction it was heading, if I'm seeing the data on the controller right it even flew backwards, so it couldn't even use the terrain mapping to keep out of the trees. Or something...

I really wanted to document the colors of the leaves change in this area, just chomping at the bit to get back in the air. Thanks for the discussion, I'm learning a lot here!!

I could see GPS issues where I took off for the final flight

Pevo, when you spend big bucks for a Pro and you're on top of the world (I was), and then the SOB suddenly takes off and crashes, no here will blame you for being touchy and PO"d. Maybe you have a bad GPS unit, or something possibly connected to GPS. Never take off if GPS or anything seems flaky or strange. Keep after Yuneec, every day or twice a day if necessary, and keep a record.

I believe they will take care of you, just persevere.

I really don't know why you called me a ******* but if it makes you happy go ahead. I was the one who brought the experts here to view your file so if there is any ******* its you.

No no, I am the sarcastic *******.

Me = *******

You = Cool person helping

Reactions: KBflyer
I have a Yuneec Q500 and suffer too from a lot of compass warnings. But those are short and go away after 1-2 seconds. Yours are persistent for a long time. And true, this will not be seen as warning on the ST16. This comes suddenly and and cannot do anything against it. I have other guys in german forum, who said, they have calibrated compass and then after 2-3 flights, have had the same massive compass problems and ended up in a tree or used the H as lawn mower. And I trust them, they have calibrated.

The only thing, I can imagine is that compass warnings (massive amount) can be indicated by orange blinking of the status LED on back of the copter. If you see this already during initialisation, do not start.
In your logfile 000014 you have those warnings in initialisation phase already from 10:25:06 to 10:28:43h. Then pressure_compass_status fall back to "Magnetometer fail" (mag is compass). You should have had such a warning on the ST16 (MAG or so) and the orange blinking should be there. Then there is a gap in the telemetry data from 10:28:43 to 10:28:59 (16 seconds!) and it came back without GPS. Did you switched off ST16 or copter?
10:29:39 motors started - Angle mode - 10:29:41 take off - 10:29:42 Compass warnings came back and never ended till crash.

br HE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss