Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Control Settings, Don't do what I did!!

Reaction score
Since the H controls are more sensitive, (even in turtle mode) than my Chroma. I decided I wanted to put a curve in the controls. Picture below is how it looks normally. Now when I did my ELE, I tapped the box on the right. When i did my AIL, I messed up and reset it and tried again.

HOWEVER I knew it was J4. So I tapped the J4 on the left box. And added it with the throttle and motor button by mistake. Being unclear I figured it was just to monitor those channels together. When in fact it combines them together somehow.

This is the result when the AIL (J4) is at 5% to full right. It mimics the motor button and WILL shut the motors off. And if you are like me, crash into a 3 foot wide irrigation canal. More than 20 acres I was flying around and that's where it drops.

Contacted Yuneec, sent it in because it wasn't till just before I taped up the box that I figured out what happened. I even tested my theory and was able to stop and start the one motor that still worked by the right stick all the way to the right.

Yuneec says it is my fault as it is not how the controller is set from the factory. True.
But I question that. When J4 is at 6% on the monitor, if you move to 5% it jumps to -25%. Now when J4 is by itself, turtle mode it moves to 25%. In rabbit it is about 10%. I don't remember and don't have my controller. So is there a glitch?

I'm awaiting the estimate on repair costs. Arms, body, landing gear, GPS, and surprisingly the camera feed (even though the camera spent 20 mins at the bottom of the canal) are the only things that still worked. The H was bearly in the grass and never made it to the bottom.

That's a bummer! I will admit I have not figured out all those channel settings and how they work.
Will be happy when Yuneec puts out a manual since they gave us access to it.

I would bring that to Yuneec's attention and shift the blame to them.

I plan on asking to talk with a higher up when the tech calls me tomorrow. I was the one that brought it to the tech ' s attention. They only look at telemetry. When they tried to blame a wind gust flopping it is when I mentioned my findings he had to go ask the software programmer. That's when he came back with it was my fault cause that's not how it comes from the factory.

Reactions: Jack Dunkle
Not a good idea to mess with the channel settings on any copter if you don't know exactly what you're doing. There are a few videos for Expo settings on youtube for various copters, but again, you risk unpredictable results if you don't understand the function.

Yes, I understand, but that's what I mean by unpredictable results. By combining two controls I would have no idea how to estimate what might happen.

Yea I would like to see a detailed manual on those settings as well. I'd like to soften up the up down control on the camera and also the pan control. The way the up/down on the camera is set its like its all on or all off. Hard to get a nice smooth ramp up and down with it set the way it is. And I'd like to smooth out the panning a bit. When you flip the switch to return to home its much faster than you can get with the pan control. Saw one vid but it was in German. Using those settings to set up the button on the right side that is unused to do some function. I'd like to use that button to point the camera rearward quickly like the return to front pointing works.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
This was discussed a few weeks ago and a very clear explanation was given at that time. Find the post about 'twitchy' control
post here further down the post by Creighton expalins the channels very well.

Very sorry to hear of your mishap, I have also been trying to figure out their Expo adjustment to get smoother flying, so far without success. When I was flying Phantoms I had adjusted Expo for flying indoors or for flight in tight areas and got very smooth results with my Taranis radio. I haven't figured out yet how to get the same results with the Expo settings on the St16. I wish Yuneec or someone else would do a short video to explain those settings...I tried some of their Expo presets but did not see a major difference in smoothness. I just read the post above mine after my post thanks for the link I will check that out.

I would like to cut stick sensitivity across the board 50% as I did when I was using a Phantom and Taranis radio for flying indoors or in tight outdoor situations...I can't seem to get the same smoothness with the H thus far. I hope someone produces a video explaining how to modify expo.

I would like to cut stick sensitivity across the board 50% as I did when I was using a Phantom and Taranis radio for flying indoors or in tight outdoor situations...I can't seem to get the same smoothness with the H thus far. I hope someone produces a video explaining how to modify expo.
I believe in the post I linked above it was determined that at this time it is not something that can be trimmed out/up. Something to do with firmware or such.

Yes, in that thread no one who tried adjusting the expo curves had any success. I tried myself to flatten the aileron curve, but it didn't affect the twitchy behavior at all.

Changing expo in GPS mode doesn't help a thing except for yaw. With GPS off it works well.

The "twitchyness" is most definitely a code issue while in GPS mode. If it's smooth as butter in Arducopter, there's no reason why it can't be on the Yuneec as well.

My 2c

Reactions: eric bee
All right it's time for an update. So a week after not hearing what was going on with my H, I called CS up to find out the cost of repair. $346. Ok, not too bad for a bird going in the drink. Main board, multi LED board, and camera board were replaced. It was fixed, "inspected" and on its way on the 11th. Arrived yesterday the 13th.

Fired it up on my desk with no props. First thing I checked was the camera. Still didn't have any control. No tilt or pan. Checked wires and the green TX wire on the gimble connection board had come off. No biggie, quick solder job and it works like new. Started the motors, idled alright for a few moments and I hit the throttle. Not even 3 seconds later the motors start cutting in and out. Not fully but it goes into emergency mode. Cut the motors and shut the H off. (Nice inspection inspector #4) I tried this a few times. I thought it might just be one motor. But at least two are "misfiring" The motors spin freely, no binds, keep spinning with the normal resistance. So I'm guessing the motors should be replaced since they are only $20 from Verdigo. I was hoping they would have survived the water but I'm guessing not. Only nice thing is I'm not paying labor cost. Here is hoping my H will be in the air, filming mountain lakes here in Utah this weekend.

All right it's time for an update. So a week after not hearing what was going on with my H, I called CS up to find out the cost of repair. $346. Ok, not too bad for a bird going in the drink. Main board, multi LED board, and camera board were replaced. It was fixed, "inspected" and on its way on the 11th. Arrived yesterday the 13th.

Fired it up on my desk with no props. First thing I checked was the camera. Still didn't have any control. No tilt or pan. Checked wires and the green TX wire on the gimble connection board had come off. No biggie, quick solder job and it works like new. Started the motors, idled alright for a few moments and I hit the throttle. Not even 3 seconds later the motors start cutting in and out. Not fully but it goes into emergency mode. Cut the motors and shut the H off. (Nice inspection inspector #4) I tried this a few times. I thought it might just be one motor. But at least two are "misfiring" The motors spin freely, no binds, keep spinning with the normal resistance. So I'm guessing the motors should be replaced since they are only $20 from Verdigo. I was hoping they would have survived the water but I'm guessing not. Only nice thing is I'm not paying labor cost. Here is hoping my H will be in the air, filming mountain lakes here in Utah this weekend.
You should never throttle up the motors without the props. It will cause an over speed of the motors. Put the props back on and I bet there wont be an issue. :)

Reactions: SmokinCamel
Forrestt is right, this happened to me when I first tried the H on the kitchen table. Just wanted to hear the motors spin.
Everything was fine until I pushed the throttle stick forward a little, and all **** broke loose. The props were not on and it sounded like the motors
were breaking goes into 5 motor mode and sounds the warning alarm. Turned it off thought It was broke and haven't even barely got it
out of the box. Check on the forum and YouTube and found other people had the same trouble. The H knows when the props are off.
Go out side and try it with props on, it should work fine now like mine did.

Forrestt is correct .

This is the way it should work when you throttle up with no props . the emergency mode will enable and motor error will flash on your transmitter .

Bet his suggestion of props on will clear the problems .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval