Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Dampener disruption!

Reaction score
Uneven space 1.JPG Pin-no pin.JPG Exposed collar.JPG Top plate 1.jpg Uneven space 1.JPG Pin-no pin.JPG Exposed collar.JPG Top plate 1.jpg When inspecting the Typhoon after a recent flight I️ noticed that the camera seemed to be more mobile than I️ remembered it to be. It had been a number of weeks since I️ have flown since it has been frigidly cold in Vermont. Upon closer inspection I️ noticed that the space between the mounting plate and the camera base was not uniform. (Figure 1) Uneven space 1.JPG Continuing to investigate I️ noticed that there are pins through the left front and right rear dampeners but not through the other two. (Figure 2) Pin-no pin.JPG Initially thinking I️ had lost 2 pins I️ subsequently found a web page showing a dampener kit and they only show 2 pins so I️ suspect that is how it is supposed to be. But, the uneven space between the two bases (for lack of a better term) appear to be due to the fact that the top of one dampener has pulled out of its hole (collar), not allowing the base to seat properly. ( Figure 3) Exposed collar.JPG I️ think if I️ could reseat the dampener I️ would be good to go. It looks to be like I have to take the cover off of the base (Figure 4) Top plate 1.jpg to be able to pull the collar of the dampener through the hole. It did not seem like it wanted to slide off as I thought it might based on how it it positioned. Am I correct or am I missing something. Thanks in advance for the help.

It did not seem like it wanted to slide off
The dust cover on top of the gimbal lifts straight up. It has some small catches on the front and back. You just have to pull out the plastic skirt a bit to release them.

Get used to it and learn how to pop them back in. Dampeners are the weakest yet most important part of the gimbal. The new design is more subject to this and it’s easy to knock one out. I do not leave my gimbal and camera attached when in the case and transporting. I also double check them pre flight before and after attaching camera. I hate when I miss it and see jello from an unattached dampener in post. It’s much more prevalent in the newer units as the gimbal mount and dampeners were changed and are a bit more slippery and spongier then the ones during the first year of release. I’ve spent way too much time obsessed with dampeners chasing smooth shots down with GoPros and third party gimbals on my quads pre the 480 so it’s habitual for me to always suspect and inspect everything camera related constantly.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
When I bought another H, I had the same situation with my gimbal. I am glad I inspected it thoroughly right after it shipped before I actually flied it. This issue seems to be present more often lately, I wonder if the birds are not as strictly inspected nowadays as they were a year ago or is it some kind of bad luck when you receive a gimbal with a loose dampener. On the other hand, I was very happy that it was the only problem I had with that bird :)

I had the issue and didn't know it was loose. Didn't get the jello effect though. It's fairly easy to fix. side note there is a cover that comes off and you can use a ziptie to place it back on. Plenty of youtube videos on how to fix that

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold