Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Datalink Loss / Turn Off ST-16...

Reaction score
Hey All!

I am due to take my CAA flight test shortly with my H and part of the exam is to turn the ST-16 off mid-flight to replicate loss of data link.

Has anyone tried this? The hope is that the H will recognise the break in communication and revert to RTH mode, coming back on it's own.

Clearly, i am seriously reluctant to do this so any experiences would be greatly received!?!?

If you are in GPS mode at the time of switch off you will be absolutely fine. It gets slightly trickier if they ask you to complete with GPS disabled (I was asked to do this for UAVAir). If you are asked to do this, make sure you take-off in GPS mode first, and then turn it off once airborne before shutting off. Yuneec UK only discovered this from my case, but it's how it works. If you take off with GPS disabled the Typhoon WILL NOT return, and will drift away wherever the wind takes it.

It will be worth warning them too that the Typhoon will not land on a RTH on failsafe, it will sit and hover directly above home point until low battery. My flight instructor was prepared to stand and wait for 15 minutes to see it come down and land safely (I've had an awful experience with UAVAir). Hope this helps, if you need clarification then feel free to message me.

Sorry to hear about your experience with UAVAir - Uplift have been superb.

So, take off in GPS mode. Do my test with it turned off (ATTI Mode equivalent).

Land, turn GPS back on. Takeoff and then turn the controller off? Wait for it to RTH and run out of battery?

Sound ok?

That would work absolutely fine. If they ask you to switch off the controller with GPS on then I guarantee you'll have no issues.

Unfortunately because of my issues I've had to do my controller switch off about 10 times in varying states. It's always come back when the function is operating. As I say, just make sure that you never disable GPS before take-off and you'll be fine.

Oh and also add it as a pre flight check, or mention it somewhere in your ops manual is recommended as it is CAA criteria that it return home safely on loss of link so you need to make sure it will every flight.

Excellent advice and thank you. I assume you passed everything and have your PfCO?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval