Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Does anyone have tips on finding jobs in commercial progress photos

Reaction score
This seems like the niche for me, but I haven't got a clue where to start. I have done some work towards identifying customers in the home building market, but I feel that commercial would be a better fit for me.

Getting out and beating the bushes to speak with potential customers is the route you'll need to take. Identify them by reviewing new building permit filings and driving through commercial/industrial areas to see who is doing what. The big city stuff, like multi-story commercial buildings, will be a tough nut to crack as more developed companies using considerably more sophisticated equipment initiated business contacts in this field a couple years ago. You could also buy ad space in architectural publications. Yes, it takes money to make money.

Potential customers don't often grab the first name that pops up, and often don't even realize there might be benefit in aerial imagery. They need to be made aware of the benefits and have to develop a comfort level with whomever is pitching the service. They'll need to understand how spending money on your service will let them make even more money. You'll be knocking on a lot of doors, most of which will not be opened on the first try. Those that do will see you first and your work second. Look and act professional, be prepared.

Yea, the process is slow, difficult, and can be quite depressing when you look back at all the work you did to acquire your first customer. Take the time to develop the reference materials you will need to convince potential clients of the benefits, and to develop an accurate working cost structure to be ready when that first call comes in to start a shoot. Shoot a few projects where allowed to develop your portfolio. Show what you produced when asked but never, ever, present that material in a manner that can be down loaded without being paid for it first. What you present to them will have to look professional and present projects as the clients want to see them. What you like may not be what they like, and finding out what they like or need will be different for every client. Do all you can to avoid incorporating cinematic type filming methods in your shoots unless the company tells you they want to make a feature film. Many are put off by the "artistic flair" stuff.

Reactions: AH-1G
Some good tips here, Pat. I like the 9one about new permit filings, as just identifying them is the challenge at this moment.

Thanks!

Develop contacts among architects, building inspectors, builders, and material suppliers. The networking is what will make it happen. Everyone talks, and those having related occupations share a lot of trade info.

Reactions: Texy
I myself work with architects and a roofing company. When I first started I went out did some free to build a portfolio. Yes it's all about knocking on doors (B2B).

This seems like the niche for me, but I haven't got a clue where to start. I have done some work towards identifying customers in the home building market, but I feel that commercial would be a better fit for me.
Texy!
First, you have to map and scout your competition to avoid to play on the same "crowdy" spot as your competitors! Don't compete with low prices it only tell that you admit you are not good enough to get payed..Concentrate at few sorts of business areas, don't try to hit them all. MARKET yourself and invest in marketing is key for success. "You can't do business sitting on your ***". If your customers can't see you, you don't excist! I have been in areal photo with a "real" helicopter many years and started 2 years ago with a "H" (in Sweden) to send approx 1200 high quality double sided cards (15x15cm) to companies I thought could be interested in my service. Total cost, my time not included, was 1400Euro.
I went break even after seven weeks and now my business is quite ok mainly from real estate brokers, farmers and ski-slopes in wintertime.. You have to have one or two back-up drones. If a customer want you service and you can't deliver due to lack of drone.the customer will move to your competition within 10 minutes and you are lost. I attach the card I sent out..I assume all of you can read swedish... :) Good Luck!

Forum.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lsn618 and Texy
I decided I wanted to target a few specific areas of aerial imagery, knowing there was no way I would ever be able to do all things extremely well. For me it was better to focus on a few things I could do well rather than a lot of stuff done half azzed. From that point I researched where those targets would be found, the areas they used for visibility, and reviewed how they were presenting themselves to their customers. Putting some example packages together for demonstrative purposes provided potential customers something to look at while providing free imagery to local media that I was advertising in provided increased exposure. Participation with the local political scene has been necessary to gain entry into areas that would remained closed otherwise.

It's a lot of work getting noticed, and takes a lot longer than you would like. I agree with Photo, don't use e-mails to introduce your business. If it doesn't end up in a spam folder it might be dumped as suspected phishing, or ignored for more important company communications. Phone calls are good for setting an appointment time, but not that great for cold call introductions.

Direct mail brochures! Good ideas y'all! Thanks.
My experience is that you'd be lucky to get two or three leads for every hundred sent out. I use double sided postcards like Photo (indeed it may have been Photo who gave me the idea some months ago). It costs me around 70p per card including the cost of having the card produced so that's around £70.00 including the cost of postage so using this method, on the face of, it costs almost £25.00 to produce a lead. You need to factor this in to your pricing.

Keep in mind, though, that the initial lead often produces some follow up jobs if you deliver good stuff and some of those clients may refer you to others so that £25.00 per lead isn't as expensive as it would appear. By far the hardest part is generating that first lead.

My experience is that you'd be lucky to get two or three leads for every hundred sent out. I use double sided postcards like Photo (indeed it may have been Photo who gave me the idea some months ago). It costs me around 70p per card including the cost of having the card produced so that's around £70.00 including the cost of postage so using this method, on the face of, it costs almost £25.00 to produce a lead. You need to factor this in to your pricing.

Keep in mind, though, that the initial lead often produces some follow up jobs if you deliver good stuff and some of those clients may refer you to others so that £25.00 per lead isn't as expensive as it would appear. By far the hardest part is generating that first lead.
£25.00 per lead is "nothing" My average revenue / assignment, so far, from the card-campaign is approx Eur 530. + VAT.

£25.00 per lead is "nothing" My average revenue / assignment, so far, from the card-campaign is approx Eur 530. + VAT.
Not sure if you've misunderstood my post.

My card campaign produces, on average, one first time client for every (almost) £25.00 spent. This £25.00 is absorbed into my price rate for an assignment so for a first time client my profits a squeezed. It is on subsequent assignments from that client, or clients that I've been recommended to that my revenue from a job is improved.

Not sure if you've misunderstood my post.

My card campaign produces, on average, one first time client for every (almost) £25.00 spent. This £25.00 is absorbed into my price rate for an assignment so for a first time client my profits a squeezed. It is on subsequent assignments from that client, or clients that I've been recommended to that my revenue from a job is improved.
Aha FlushVision! Got it!

Ok, so I designed & ordered some postcards and looked up the new permits that have been issued. Man, there's a lot of them! They have it posted weekly in my county and it goes back to the first of May. The commercial and residential are all jumbled up together. I hope this is the foot in the door that I need. I'm itching to fly for money.

Best have your ducks in a row before approaching any of them. Who you are, qualifications, history, referrals, samples, insurance, safety and training program, equipment used, specifications, work flow, are things potential customers want to review prior to making decisions. If you don't have the info package doors quickly close.

Reactions: FlushVision
Best have your ducks in a row before approaching any of them. Who you are, qualifications, history, referrals, samples, insurance, safety and training program, equipment used, specifications, work flow, are things potential customers want to review prior to making decisions. If you don't have the info package doors quickly close.
Indeed, it's hard enough getting those doors to open in the first place. Last thing you need it to have those hard won leads go sour through a lack of the groundwork.

Another thing I do is give a demonstration how the hexi flies and explained why I like six engines vs four. Also on my tablet I show some videography and aerial photography I had done. During the demo (flying the typhoon) it really impresses people, many don't understand drones and for me it helps to get in the door. I explain safety issues, log book, insurance, 107 certification and FAA regulations. Plus me being a private pilot since 1976, it sometimes helps.

Reactions: lsn618
All good stuff. I'm almost there. I'm hungry but not impatient. I really appreciate the info in this thread. Very valuable stuff. I'm still developing content for my website and hopefully will be finished this week, online soon after. I feel that I can't really begin any serious campaign until then. Thanks y'all.

Develop contacts among architects, building inspectors, builders, and material suppliers. The networking is what will make it happen. Everyone talks, and those having related occupations share a lot of trade info.
Yes, join a Leads Group - and your local building contractor's organization, there will be one near you. Realtors are also a good fit for us as well, they know builders and many of them work exclusively on new commercial builds. Develop a contract with clear understandings about what you can and won't do (educating them about weather has been interesting to say the least - I make it clear I need a 2-3 day window), with a FAQ on your website, and prepare professional invoicing. Get at least 1/2 up front. Here's my FAQ. Frequently Asked Questions

Developing a bid proposal form and company SOP documents are also good to have for quick use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold