Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone Videos and Pics Bring Out Possibilities In the Mundane

Reaction score
Drone pilots know that altitude helps, to see what's tied to the ground as the birds do puts a whole different slant on things.

Now don't forget, before you criticize the subject here, Kansas is a state that has a city with the world's largest ball of twine. This building you see
here was constructed a long time ago as a WPA project. It's unimpressive and rather bleak inside. Other than providing shelter from the weather
and tables to eat on inside, if you so choose, it's rather unaesthetic. It appears on the exterior to be a fort wanna be.
I've given a link in the description below the video on YT that tells a bit about this place - Coronado Heights.

Sometimes finding beauty can be a challenge unless you live in the mountains of Colorado or near the Grand Canyon, etc.
I had this video planned out in my head for several weeks before attempting it. It's an hours drive away from where I live.
I had been there once before.

I am a relative newcomer at flying drones and the Typhoon H Plus is new to me. Since my CCC
seldom works, I flew the drone, unassisted by software or GPS on several different passes at different angles shortly after sunrise.
I wanted to capture some of the surrounding scenery and give the viewer a sense of the place in the big picture.

If there had been some clouds and sunrise colors it would have made it far better
for sure but this isn't half bad, even with the plain blue skies. Thanks for watching. A like on YT would be appreciated if you feel so inclined.

Very nice flying, editing and lighting. I have just 2 concerns. The length is too long and could be shortened by cutting those parts of the video that aren't related to the subject. The second is the frame rate. At 60 fps many viewers, if not most, will get choppy video with starts and stops. You found a great subject to film and it's an interesting piece of work. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I appreciate the feedback. At least you watched it. :rolleyes: lol

For me the "subject" is the entire surrounding area. Sure the "castle" is a unique focal point but certainly not the only one. IF that were all I wanted to feature, it would have been considerably shorter.

I love the newly plowed and newly planted fields, the cemetery, the golden trees, I like the "big picture" (roads dissolving into the distance, distant grain silos, etc.) as much if not more than the odd little fort (personally.) You can argue there are too many passes of the fort itself. My reasoning is that one gets a different feeling with the particular angle of each approach. Often, I'm looking above and beyond the fort as well or to the side. I guess if it doesn't have enough visual interest to keep you with it, then my vision is clouded by my ego. I appreciate that you watched to the end. People who live nearby may appreciate it more because they know the area.

When I watch a sunset or drive (hike) to a scenic overlook, or to the top of a mountain, etc. for me anyway, unless I'm on a tight time schedule, rarely do I look for just two or three minutes and then climb back into the car and move on. I like to checkout all the different views and details. I may take a little hike off a side path for a different perspective and sometimes those little jaunts pay-off and it gets you away from people. I also like to sit and soak it all in and watch the light change. I think perhaps this thinking is in my editing head.

I think it's a shame that some don't have the patience (as the music softly soothes) to just watch and let it unfold in a meditative way. But then, some wouldn't sit through more than 2 mins of rap or jazz music while others go for an entire concert. I know it doesn't make mean anyone is "right" or "wrong." I realize everyone doesn't think or react the same. I've watched any number of videos on YouTube, (unrelated to drone flying) that I'm perfectly content to spend ten minutes or even fifteen mins. watching. Of course I'm retired. ;) But, as a rule, under five minutes (I don't think) is asking too much of people's time. I figured I'd take a hit on the length. I do understand that less can be more. I make these videos for myself as much as anything and I suppose if people tire quickly and move on, then so be it.

Finally, The issue of 30 vs 60 fps keeps coming up here. I have not seen any jerkiness, stop/start (buffering?) issues when viewing this YT video on my iPhone or iPad or my Toshiba laptop and certainly not on my computer. What would cause this for others? I am willing to try flying a 30 fps route and then try a second @ 60 fps and see which I like best. I need to remember to make the necessary adjustments in the editing software, especially when I go to produce it.

What would cause this for others? I am willing to try flying a 30 fps route and then try a second @ 60 fps and see which I like best. I need to remember to make the necessary adjustments in the editing software, especially when I go to produce it.
The graphics cards in most computers can't process the video fast enough for a smooth display at 60 fps. You can shoot at 60 and render the video at 30 fps and it should still be extremely good.

Reactions: John Eftimiades
Curious, how many separate flights requiring how many days to shoot this video?

4 or 5 flights. 50 mins. total. When my battery gets to 39% I bring it home. I started with two fully charged batteries. Another battery and a charger for two batteries is on my "to get" list.

Excellent flying! Always moving (it is a movie after all). Light? Sunset / sunrise perhaps. Very nice.

Thank you kindly. Yes, I feel like keeping the "picture" moving helps, even if it's hovering and just panning. I'd like to have the flight up the steps back to do over because it could have been a bit smoother. I might have flown slightly higher. I. debate over which would have been best for that segment: to fly the drone watching the drone or watching through the camera. I did the latter. Maybe both would be better. I wanted to keep myself in the frame all the way up if possible and watching the drone, rather than the monitor, might have precluded that.

Another benefit to shooting 60fps but delivering on a 30 fps timeline is you can edit select clips to half speed for a slow motion effect where desired. This can add even more of a dreamy effect than what was recorded or just be used to smooth out a strong segment that may have become a “bumpy ride”.

Nice work and appropriate music choice for what you sought to deliver. I tossed you a like on Youtube.

Last edited:
Another benefit to shooting 60fps but delivering on a 30 fps timeline is you can edit select clips to half speed for a slow motion effect where desired. This can add even more of a dreamy effect than what was recorded or just be used to smooth out a strong segment that may have become a “bumpy ride”.

Nice work and appropriate music choice for what you sought to deliver. I tossed you a like on Youtube.

Thanks very much. With PowerDirector 16 I'm asked to input the fps before producing (and I'm assuming it helps when editing as well.) I guess I just have to try your suggestion, (I think it already happened once for me, by accident and came out poorly.) but shooting in 60 and producing in 30 doesn't seem to be an option. I guess I can research it.

Yes, shooting at 60 fps and producing at 30 will give you options in post and help those with slower computers or internet connection. I use PD16 also. When you produce the video, you have lots of options for resolution and frame rate. Also, if you shoot and post to YT in 4k, that give those with faster computers and connection the ability to enjoy all that the TH+ has to offer. Others can choose to view at lower resolution.

Another suggestion to improve the lighting is to do most of your shooting at 90-deg (+/-) to the sun. This will give better colors, shadows and contrast to the images.

Here's something to try next time. Try flying towards the entrance to the "castle" at eye level and stop just before entering (or do this backwards and reverse in post). Then hand-holding the drone (motors OFF, camera ON), carry it through the doorway at eye level to the interior. Cut and paste the two scenes together. Auto exposure should help here. The effect should be thrilling:eek:!

I enjoyed your "sense of place" and the castle "reveal" up the pathway. The music was very appropriate to the mood.

Yes I know about the PD16 options to produce. I guess I didn't understand that you can shoot in 60 fps and produce in 30. Still learning. Certainly good to know.

As for the scenario of filming you discribe, you're a clever one you are. Thinking outside the box. One of the reasons I like the older Yuneec model that had a hand-held stabilzer
included that you can use with the drone cam, separate from the drone. Thanks for watching and responding. I appreciate the encouragement.

About the blending of drone & hand holding.

I once saw an incredibly surprising DJI P2/3 drone i think who flew just above water maybe 1' then down to inches and then INTO the water and kept going under water amongst lilly pads and such and then back OUT of water and into air and down above the stream, it was so so cool !!!!

so blending is an excellent way to have surprising effects.

BTW, this is a real-estate trick too, fly around property and then down to a entrance and INTO the house, can even merge stills into a vid, very impressive !

Yes, shooting at 60 fps and producing at 30 will give you options in post and help those with slower computers or internet connection. I use PD16 also. When you produce the video, you have lots of options for resolution and frame rate. Also, if you shoot and post to YT in 4k, that give those with faster computers and connection the ability to enjoy all that the TH+ has to offer. Others can choose to view at lower resolution.

Another suggestion to improve the lighting is to do most of your shooting at 90-deg (+/-) to the sun. This will give better colors, shadows and contrast to the images.

Here's something to try next time. Try flying towards the entrance to the "castle" at eye level and stop just before entering (or do this backwards and reverse in post). Then hand-holding the drone (motors OFF, camera ON), carry it through the doorway at eye level to the interior. Cut and paste the two scenes together. Auto exposure should help here. The effect should be thrilling:eek:!

I enjoyed your "sense of place" and the castle "reveal" up the pathway. The music was very appropriate to the mood.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval