Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Exploding LiPos in Case? Safe Bags?

Y

Yuneec Pilot

So I'll be buying the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro with the included backpack. And I've heard and seen Lipo batteries exploding or catching fire trough a rapid discharge and was wondering if the YTH LiPos also do this. I would buy the Lipo safe bags, but I don't know if the batteries will fit into the backpacks foam with the safe bags.
Any experience? Do YTH LiPos catch fire? Are there Safe Bags that fit into the foam?

So I'll be buying the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro with the included backpack. And I've heard and seen Lipo batteries exploding or catching fire trough a rapid discharge and was wondering if the YTH LiPos also do this. I would buy the Lipo safe bags, but I don't know if the batteries will fit into the backpacks foam with the safe bags.
Any experience? Do YTH LiPos catch fire? Are there Safe Bags that fit into the foam?
Iv heard nothing of a yuneec battery catching on fire, but just know that can happen to any battery. I have a lipo bag, but only use them for travel other than that they are in the foam case.

I sound like a broken record, Lipos are VERY safe when some basic rules are followed. On any Yuneec forum I frequent, there was only one report of a battery catching fire and it was a Venom battery, not an OEM battery. I don't even recall if it was a Q500 or TH battery. There was even some discussion/admission the user may have punctured one of the cells.

I've run lipos now for over 8+ years. I started running them when they were available for R/C cars. I raced locally and nationally for many years. In all that time I only personally witnessed one fire. It was not an explosion, its smoldered and eventually caught fire. Problem was a battery that was being improperly charged. People reference Youtube videos as evidence of the dangers and volatility of Lipos, but every video I'd ever seen was some knucklehead doing something stupid like puncturing the case. The time to be careful and monitor lipos is during charging. If something bad is going to happen, its going to be then or shortly after (shortly after, because its being improperly charged).

In the early days of lipos I treated them like Nicads. Bad move. Don't store lipos over extended periods fully charged. I did, but it NEVER resulted in a fire (there was very little information at the time on the care and feeding of lipos). It only resulted in dead cells and badly swollen batteries. I've stored lipos with about 30% charge for over 3 years and they still took a charge and worked. I've also accidentally stored a lipo for 3 years that was fully charged. The pack was so badly swollen the hard plastic case had split so wide I couldn't get it within an inch of closing. 3 years and no fire.

On my Blade QX350, I'd even run batteries that were slightly swollen/puffy, with no ill affect. Didn't time it, but flight time did not appear to be any shorter...

I've never used a lipo safe bag charging my batteries as I'm always near-by monitoring the charge, If I'm storing them short-term like a couple weeks to a month, 30% charge, Long-term 50%, If I'm not "planning" on using my batteries for a month or longer, I put them in a metal ammo can. When I charge them and I'm not using an OEM charger, I use 1c charge rate. I have gone a little higher (which I would not recommend to anyone unless they know what they are doing).

I've not seen a decent lipo safe bag that will fit a battery and still fit in the foam in the cut-outs for batteries. I would "think" storing it in a fire safe bag and in the foam may not prevent a fire even if the foam is not directly exposed to flames. Lipos burn hot, While the bag may stop flames, it won't stop heat which still may be hot enough for the foam to combust (Caveat, as I stated I don't use a bag so I may be way off on the heat). A

BTW, I'm NOT telling anyone what to do or that lipo safe bags are a waste of money. I'm simply relating my experience. Do whatever you need to feel safe. Like someone said in another thread, its "insurance", another precaution. I just think Lipos get a bum rap, that they are time-bombs just waiting to explode into flames...

Last edited:
Reactions: ArnhemAnt
In the early days of lipos I treated them like Nicads. Bad move. Don't store lipos over extended periods fully charged. I did, but it NEVER resulted in a fire (there was very little information at the time on the care and feeding of lipos). It only resulted in dead cells and badly swollen batteries. I've stored lipos with about 30% charge for over 3 years and they still took a charge and worked. I've also accidentally stored a lipo for 3 years that was fully charged. The pack was so badly swollen the hard plastic case had split so wide I couldn't get it within an inch of closing. 3 years and no fire.
I've never used a lipo safe bag charging my batteries as I'm always near-by monitoring the charge, If I'm storing them short-term like a couple weeks to a month, 30% charge, Long-term 50%, If I'm not "planning" on using my batteries for a month or longer, I put them in a metal ammo can. When I charge them and I'm not using an OEM charger, I use 1c charge rate. I have gone a little higher (which I would not recommend to anyone unless they know what they are doing).
Thanks for the intense advice.

It seems like you are using a programmable lipo charger? I'll have to use the Yuneec charger.

And I suppose i'll have to discharge them with using my H? Or is there another possibility?

Lithium polymer batteries share common materials and manufacturing processes regardless of brand name. There aren't that many manufacturers of lipoly batteries so several brand names will be produced at any given facility.

The chemistry of a lipoly battery is such that small mistakes in the manufacturing process, abuse by the user, and shipping conditions may induce a battery failure and thermal run away. Users that are prepared for such an event are much better positioned in assuring the safety of their homes and families. Lipoly batteries should always be stored and charged in a fire resistant environment. Many have learned that only after losing everything, and some of those people were vastly more knowledgeable with the design and use of lipoly batteries than many in this forum.

I've been using lipoly and lion batteries since they were introduced to the hobby sector. Although I have yet to experience a battery fire I have experienced batteries that swelled from one day to the next. I don't know who made them or if any errors were made in the manufacturing process, or if they had at any time been stored or shipped in an elevated temperature environment. I have many lipoly batteries and they are all stored in fire safe bags. It only takes once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are only dangerous if they have been punctured in an accident or improperly charged

Just so everyone knows, a 1c charge rate is calculated as follows -

Battery Capacity in mAh / 1000 = amps

For Typhoon H batteries, they are 4s meaning 4 cells for a total capacity of 5400mAh. 5400 / 1000 = 5.4 amps. If you have a smart Lipo charger, just make sure it is set to 4S and 5.4 amps charge rate or 1c. I bought Typhoon H charge cable from Carolina Dronz and just observe polarity with the power cables and plug the balance connector into the correct 4S port.

1c should be safe. Some manufacturers batteries claim to charge at a higher c rate but to extend the life of the cells, I would use 1c.

I have some smaller drones which use a single cell or 1S and have a 300mAh capacity so for those I would set the charger for 1S, then 300mAh / 1000 = 0.3 amps for a charge rate of 1c.

Greg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trienchieu369