Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

External antennas on the H

What many who say they "never fly so far out as to worry about telemetry dropout" are missing is that you only need to fly from behind a small treeline to get video stuttering and dropout even at a very moderate distance of a few hundred feet. While I never fly completely without LOS, I do often have the need to fly with intermittent loss of LOS...thus, we need a boosted signal to prevent video/telemetry dropout. Whether that is better accomplished with extended external antennas on the H, or amplified signal on the ST16, I really don't care. I just want the best solution to the problem. I appreciate the discussion and look forward to more detail from those who are getting good results. For your efforts, I say thanks in advance!

The long antennas are control/telemetry and the center mushroom antenna on the newer ST16+ is for video. As far as I know, there is only one signal and antenna on 5.8 Ghz for video on the craft and at the ST16 controller. The antenna for the CG03+ is in the camera housing.

While we all talk about boosting range and reliable telemetry….Once the video signal cuts out--- I am done. I can't fly blind. But, I think the existing video signal is strong and best when coupled with a better antenna on the ST16 for video (like the FPVLR or DBS models).

Whether that is better accomplished with extended external antennas on the H, or amplified signal on the ST16, I really don't care. I just want the best solution to the problem. I appreciate the discussion and look forward to more detail from those who are getting good results. For your efforts, I say thanks in advance!

I think the first step is to move the antennas outside and use ones with better gain…. I would guess the internals on both craft and controller have unity (0 dB) gain. Amplifiers complicate things and some just boost more noise then the signal--- Causing more problems. Besides having to run extra power to those amps or added weight to the gear.

My terrain in mountainous and creates issues…. I see all these posted videos over flat farm fields or water and know that amazing range is simple when there are no bumps, hills, mountains or trees. My goal is to get reliable signals across video, control, telemetry so I have control regardless of terrain… I don't plan on flying a mile out as regular occurrence.

What's everyone's take on the new 5.8Ghz video patch antenna on the ST16 Pro, compared to the old mushroom antenna? I've had video out to ~6000 feet with the new style antenna, so upgrading it with a FPVLR or Itelite seems pointless. AFAIK nothing has changed on the CGO3+, so are the improvements entirely due to the patch antenna? Is it amplified?

Different antennas have different radiation, polarization, beam width patterns.. The newer patch probably worked better for Yuneec then the mushroom -- Not sure if the gain on each is rated the same..I would think so. There is no "amp" in the new antenna. DBS uses patch in their array while FPVLR uses Helix…

In the end…Whatever works best for you…. I ditched my stock antennas.

Based on my WiFi analyzer I see the following:
The 2.4Ghz band, I see the ST16 configured as an (AP) access point and TH as the client.
The 5.8Ghz band, I see the TH as the AP and ST16 as the client.

The 2.4Ghz band I concluded is to control the the aircraft, GPS data exchange and provide telemetry data back to the ST-16.
The 5.8Ghz band I concluded is to control the camera and send Video to either the ST-16 or when I use Yuneec's iPhone app (CG01) in my iPad.

When exiting the app on the ST-16, to use local WiFi Internet access, you must disconnect from the TH 5.8Ghz AP and connect your home WiFi either on the 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz. The ST-16 is using ST18_wifi card in client mode and it will use either the internal 2.4Gz antenna or the external 5.8Ghz antenna to connect.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see any real need to extend the internal 2.4Ghz antenna from the ST18_wifi (2.4G/5.8G card). As far as I can tell, its only used for local WiFi Internet access when needed and not for telemetry data.

I believe when using the wizard with the TH, the wizard becomes the new AP to control the TH. In team mode, the wizard still using the 2.4Ghz band to control the bird and ST-16 is just a client on the 5.8Ghz for camera control.

No need to put the internal 2.4GHz antenna from the ST18-Wifi card outside of the ST16….Unless you want to connect to a WiFi AP at a distance to use the internet….

The long antennas are control/telemetry and the center mushroom antenna on the newer ST16+ is for video. As far as I know, there is only one signal and antenna on 5.8 Ghz for video on the craft and at the ST16 controller. The antenna for the CG03+ is in the camera housing.

While we all talk about boosting range and reliable telemetry….Once the video signal cuts out--- I am done. I can't fly blind. But, I think the existing video signal is strong and best when coupled with a better antenna on the ST16 for video (like the FPVLR or DBS models).
Agreed, Hal...but I'm already using the fpvlr antennas, which are indeed fantastic on open semi flat terrain. It's when you throw in a treeline or other obstacle that the video is so greatly diminished. So then what? Some situations will demand such obstacles even for intermittent LOS flights, especially for commercial ops. For this reason alone many of us will require a solution to the video feed stutters and dropouts. There must be a solid solution out there... I'm just waiting to hear it.

People have dropped the antenna out of the CGO3+ itself….But, I think that could create gimbal balance issues…. or even swapping out that internal CGO3+ antenna with another.

If video drop out is your issue…. You need a stronger transmitter…Not sure how that works with the H. Yes, one can boost the receiver… But, that also brings up the RF noise floor and could make things worse.

Agreed, Hal...but I'm already using the fpvlr antennas, which are indeed fantastic on open semi flat terrain. It's when you throw in a treeline or other obstacle that the video is so greatly diminished. So then what? Some situations will demand such obstacles even for intermittent LOS flights, especially for commercial ops. For this reason alone many of us will require a solution to the video feed stutters and dropouts. There must be a solid solution out there... I'm just waiting to hear it.

I agree with Hal.
Since you are already using a yagi antenna (FPVLR), I would suggest a 5.8G amplifier between the antenna and the ST-16. Something like the Clear Boost.
ClearBoost Enhanced FPV/Drone Video Reception

So what is everyone's opinion on why Yuneec changed the configuration of the H 2.4ghz antennas on the H itself? Longer range control or better telemetry? Using the FPVLR antennas on the St16 I have no problems with control or video however sometimes telemetry is spotty. My guess is the external antennas are for more reliable telemetry and control

That is my understanding -- the second external antenna is used for telemetry. I'm still curious why the new 5.8GHz patch antenna for video performs so much better than the mushroom antenna they previously used. As far as I know no changes were made to the antenna in the CGO3+.

I uploaded my flight log data to yuneec so we will see what they say.they were quick to respond to my email.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is my understanding -- the second external antenna is used for telemetry. I'm still curious why the new 5.8GHz patch antenna for video performs so much better than the mushroom antenna they previously used. As far as I know no changes were made to the antenna in the CGO3+.

Maybe the patch antenna is more directional, thus increasing the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THoff,
Sorry I was referring to the antennas added to the H in place of the small wires that hang down.

Can you even upgrade those???? Are they plug and play or soldered to the bird?

I agree with Hal.
Since you are already using a yagi antenna (FPVLR), I would suggest a 5.8G amplifier between the antenna and the ST-16. Something like the Clear Boost.
ClearBoost Enhanced FPV/Drone Video Reception

I'm not sure the ClearBoost is what the ST16 needs. They write about analog signals for video and I don't think this is the type of amp to be beneficial to a 5.8 WiFi link. I think the Sunhans might be better...but, a couple months ago, someone said that a dealer was putting together a booster package for the Typhoon and the wifi amp they used for video did not increase reception.

Patch antennas are usually higher gain and directional, where the mushroom/cloverleaf antennas are lower gain and omnidirectional.

Reactions: Subtle Shots
I have been reading through forums. Since the firmware update I noticed spotty telementry loss. Has anyone had any luck or even noticed it. I was about 300ft up open terrain off the beach. I lost telementry not video.

I find keeping the antennas pointing correctly minimizes the telemetry from dropping out. Its easy to forget about turning and lifting my arms to keep the signals in their sweet spots while getting engrossed by the super cool shots the chopper is getting while studying the screen and continuously adjusting the sticks, gimbal pitch, and speed control....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval