Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying Indoors?

Reaction score
So far the only crash I have had with my Breeze was indoors. I disabled the GPS and then tried to fly, however the drone immediately drifted into a wall. Any advise?

While I agree with AH-1G in the general sense I will offer this:

When you disable GPS on your Breeze (Or most drones for that matter) you are losing the ability for the drone to "lock" it's position based on satellite signals. Now if the drone is "trimmed" perfectly (or close to it) it will stay pretty much in place while hovering until external forces (wind, etc) act upon it.

And when I talk about trimming, I am referring to all 4 motors spinning at the exact (or **** close) rate so the drone hovers in one place. if any (one or 2) of the motors is spinning at a rate that is faster than the others, the drone will bias or tilt in the direction opposite to it's position on the drone. If it's slower, it will be towards the side the motor is on.

What the GPS mode does is mask any minor (or major) differences in spin rate across all the motors by controlling the individual speed of the motors to a rate that is (nearly) identical. In other words, the drone stays in one place when you have GPS mode enabled and let go of the sticks during a hover.

On some controllers there are trim tabs that allow you to make fine adjustments to the sticks to get to a balanced rate of all the axis's rates which in simple terms means that when you lift you drone off and release the sticks, it will hover in (mostly) one place.

I am not familiar with the Breeze controller so I don't know if you have the ability to adjust this.

If Flying indoors is a thing you REALLY want to do, I would suggest doing it in a VERY big room. IE: Gymnasium, etc. so you can get a feel for which way your Breeze will drift. This will allow you some recovery time to correct for the direction the drone is favoring on liftoff.

Otherwise, follow the short answer provided by AH-1G.... ;-)

For the Breeze the biggest help is having a lot of light so the Flow Sensor can work properly. Highly reflective surfaces or dark surfaces adversely affect how well the Flow Sensor can detect movement. It is what takes the place of the GPS while flying indoors.

The other thing to remember is that the IRS (infrared sensor) that detects low level altitude will keep the Breeze at the takeoff level so when you fly over tables and other furniture it will attempt to maintain that height above them also. If you have 8 foot ceilings the vertical clearance can get tight very quickly.

The Breeze also incorporates an IMU to help keep it level (alleviating the need for motor trim on the controller). Most drift is a combination of inadequate lighting for the Flow Sensor and air turbulence from low level hovering.

Your best bet for indoor flight is a gymnasium.

Reactions: MisoSoup and Riktar
Thanks for clarifying the abilities of the Breeze DoomMeiser!

I didn't realize the Breeze had this feature.

Thanks for clarifying the abilities of the Breeze DoomMeiser!

I didn't realize the Breeze had this feature.

Open the Breeze Cam app and go to Tasks ( you do not have to be connected to the Breeze) and look on the top left and tap where the Sensir icons are. A screen will pop up that explains about each sensor and what the colors mean for them.

The Breeze User Manual is skimpy because most things are on help screens in the Breeze Cam app. A pilot cannot claim ignorance of a subject when the manual is in the app used to fly the machine.

A very good idea and eco-green also from a paper use standpoint, but a good pdf document explaining the use of Breeze Cam and all of its options would have been nice for Yuneec to have made available for download.

All good advise, thanks! I'm learning the limitations of the downward sensors. This morning I was landing on out concrete drive shortly after a rain. The concrete was saturated and dark. As I got within about three feet of the surface the craft became unstable. At his point my reaction was to continue landing since i feared a fly away. It landed a little hard. After thinking about what just happened, I realized the dark concrete may have confused the sensors. I lifted off again and flew low over the grass and landed it there with no problems.

You can get the same hard landing on bright concrete. It’s a bit scary, but if the landing gear is not collapsing it really doesn’t do any damage. Part of the hard landing can be ground effect where the dirty air makes for less lift.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold