Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying under a steel bridge

Reaction score
Hi, anyone who has experience of flying under a steel/metal bridge or similar construction? I have an upcomming assignment to fly under a six lane steel brigde, I guess 50-55m wide with my H and a GoPro pointing straight up mounted on top of the H so I can take pics/vids straight up. Yes it works. I will fly quite slow and near the metal construction, less than 1m.. It will take about 2 minutes. I start with max nbr of sats. Will I loose GPS and will the H go crazy during that 2 minutes?

you will more than likely loose GPS; be ready for manual intervention and you will be fine
(went thru my steel "shed" and got the GPS error) it is an outbuilding but we call it a shed 75' x '25 not sure how that metrix out :) )

Last edited:
Can you pick the day to fly? I suggest turning off the GPS when you approach the bridge. A partial or reflected GPS signal can result in unexpected flight behavior. If you haven't practiced flying with GPS off, then you should start now. You will not have the automatic braking action at center stick. You have to control the movement completely with the right stick. The altitude should not be affected. Don't turn off the GPS until you are airborne.

Reactions: DCH
Do not fly the H in a position that places the aircraft in a direct line between you and the bridge. I’ve experienced directional instability when doing that which I’ve attributed to reflected signal bounce. Moving either myself or the H out of a direct path between the controller and the subject stabilized control response.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Thanx alot all three of you that responded to my Q. . As I'm not a high skilled "H-pilot" and never flewn with GPS off I will not take on this assignment.
I can see myself crashing the H in the bridge or in the water while my customer is laughing... and later telling others .... That will not happen!
:D

Thanx alot all three of you that responded to my Q. . As I'm not a high skilled "H-pilot" and never flewn with GPS off I will not take on this assignment.
I can see myself crashing the H in the bridge or in the water while my customer is laughing... and later telling others .... That will not happen!
:D
I admire your results, :)I have extensive flying and would not want to engage in this type of event. To risky!

But...FYI, it works great with the GoPro mounted upwards on the H to take pics/vids underneath "someting"... :)

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech