Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

follow me mode needs improving?

Reaction score
hey folks,

used follow me for first time out with my boat, it seems to follow me in steps rather than being smooth. i.e it speeds up and slows down when the object doesn't.

i also need to learn about the diff camera settings more as i left everything on auto and you can see the white balance change when the wake behind the boat starts. for this video it was shot in 1080 60fps but i had to crop the frame as the props were in shot a couple of times as it speeds up and slows down....hence this post on if it can be improved or tips anyway.

FYI this was only about 20mph, the boat will easily outrun the H but i thought 20mph was a good test.

any suggestions on how to improve this?

oh-i was using the ST16 rather than the wizard, not used that yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayray
Lock your white balance to match the conditions. Set it for sunny or cloudy or whatever so if does not change. You can also lock the exposure.
Use a neutral density filter to slow down the shutter speed. This will keep prop shadows from showing up.

will have a look at that thanks, flying over salt water i wasn't going to mess with it for a quick test :)

any suggestions for improving how it follows? it seems to work better side on from the very brief test above.

will have a look at that thanks, flying over salt water i wasn't going to mess with it for a quick test :)

any suggestions for improving how it follows? it seems to work better side on from the very brief test above.
I have only tested mine walking so far and the H has done very well at keeping me in the frame. I have seen a few videos of higher speed following so I know it is possible.

used follow me for first time out with my boat, it seems to follow me in steps rather than being smooth. i.e it speeds up and slows down when the object doesn't.

Good video. I use 1920 and 30 FPS, but yours is fine. Repeat the test using Watch Me. Tap the ST-16 Follow icon to change to Watch. I keep the 2 left switches in the middle position, some leave them up in those 2 modes. Good job.

Actually you have me doubting which mode I was in. It must have been watch me as the thing went side on when I turned the boat......ummmmm......need to double check that.

I will try both though to be sure. Does watch me also follow or does it watch you and sit stationary? What is the difference?

Reactions: Rayray
hey folks,

oh-i was using the ST16 rather than the wizard, not used that yet.
I wonder if maybe the outboard was generating some electrical noise that was messing with the signal between the controller and the Typhoon.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually you have me doubting which mode I was in. It must have been watch me as the thing went side on when I turned the boat......ummmmm......need to double check that.

I will try both though to be sure. Does watch me also follow or does it watch you and sit stationary? What is the difference?

They both follow. Watch supposedly is better at keeping the cam on you.

Reactions: abinder
In watch mode you still have control of the gimbal pitch for framing. I think thats how I remember it

I still have yet to figure out a reason for the 2 different modes.
In watch me, the camera keeps you in frame and the copter follows you.
I have asked multiple times, but still have yet to find someone that can give a circumstance to use follow me instead.

In follow me, the camera does not keep you in frame. The copter just follows you.

I see follow me more useful for a two operator system where you have one person using the Wizard or ST16 to have the H follow them while the other person uses an ST16 to control and aim the camera.

LOL...I love it. I do know one thing. My H, whether it's Follow or Watch does whatever it wants to. Now it SEEMS to pay more attention to a Wizard than to the ST-16.

I must have been in watch me then as it kept me in shot side on.

I have watched some videos on YouTube and most seem to have same issue I have above and some do not, weird. I don't know difference with wizard but I wouldn't like to try and land with only the wizard over water.

A lot will depend on the relative speeds of the vehicles. Certain combinations could cause 'oscillations' where the H falls behind, goes too fast to catch up, then slows down and falls behind again. It's a tough problem in systems like this and experimentation will reveal when it performs best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval