Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Free LAANC Course

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For those interested, King Schools offers a free course on using the LAANC system. It's pretty informative and provides FAA site information that will be useful in using the system. One of the things I found interestingl was their reference to the dimensions of the grids surrounding an airport served by LAANC.

King Schools

Do you have any idea how many people either can't find the FAA website, won't look for the FAA website, aren't aware of the FAA website, or fail to use it even when they are aware of it? Thens there's the group of people that don't know they can organize bookmarked sites into folders and don't make use of their bookmarks because they are excessively cluttered. For some it's easier to post a question in a forum and wait for someone to post a link they can click on and be done with it...

Do you have any idea how many people either can't find the FAA website, won't look for the FAA website, aren't aware of the FAA website, or fail to use it even when they are aware of it? Thens there's the group of people that don't know they can organize bookmarked sites into folders and don't make use of their bookmarks because they are excessively cluttered. For some it's easier to post a question in a forum and wait for someone to post a link they can click on and be done with it...

And even after that many will not click on the link. Scary thing is this applies only to Part 107 folks. Scary the posts you see in some of those forums.

I used King Schools for my online 107 ground school. Definitely retained a lot from them.

Here's a pdf copy sorted by state

I'm sure it's probably Tapatalk (app) related, but I clicked on this PDF to download it, and my phone got stuck in this never ending loop of notifications. Had to restart my phone to get it to stop.

I used King Schools for my online 107 ground school. Definitely retained a lot from them.

I'm sure it's probably Tapatalk (app) related, but I clicked on this PDF to download it, and my phone got stuck in this never ending loop of notifications. Had to restart my phone to get it to stop.

I just completed King’s 107 Currency course as I was to lazy to do all the research work on my own this time. I’ll get to learn how effective it is when I take the currency exam. The price of the course, about half the aero knowledge initial course, is pretty low considering all it contains.

One thing I noticed after many years of separation from King aviation courses, Martha can still be a little difficult to listen to for extended periods of time. But they have always been effective in getting the job done.

Downloads fine on a computer.

Reactions: TurboDad81
All I had were books, a limited flight time budget, and 4 talented instructors. I used three of them to get through the commercial. One great for instruments, one for VFR, and one aerobatic instructor to force me to explore the limits of the airplane. These days things are a lot more complicated but easier at the same time.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Recently I have been using LAANC through Skyward.
Skyward for drones is a Verizon company, I've been happy using them for the last 19 months.

Reactions: TurboDad81
All I had were books, a limited flight time budget, and 4 talented instructors. I used three of them to get through the commercial. One great for instruments, one for VFR, and one aerobatic instructor to force me to explore the limits of the airplane. These days things are a lot more complicated but easier at the same time.

Gleim books!! They were my "hardcopy" go to!

I did a right rudder hammer head stall at 10,000 feet in my Piper 140, I blacked out for a split second or two, came out around 5000 feet. :oops:Never ever did that again. Had my best friend with me, never told what happened.o_O:eek:

I did a right rudder hammer head stall at 10,000 feet in my Piper 140, I blacked out for a split second or two, came out around 5000 feet. :oops:Never ever did that again. Had my best friend with me, never told what happened.o_O:eek:

I used the aerobatic instructor for part of my commercial instruction after strong suggestions from a couple extremely experienced instructors. As the commercial rating is almost all done VFR and about extracting the maximum performance from a “complex” aircraft I went along with the suggestion.

The last two tasks in that check ride were a chandelle and a short field landing. Not all that hard, right? Wrong. The chandelle took place 1,000’ over very rugged high terrain, initiating and ending at Vmc. According to the test guide the maneuver was supposed to be initiated at maneuvering speed. I did not think it could be done starting at Vmc. So a maximum performance climbing course reversal was initiated with the stall warning horn blaring in a pre stall buffet. Altitude gained? About 15’ but according to the designee any more would have caused a spin entry.

The designee demanded the 172RG be landed “on the numbers and exit at the first turn off”. The first turn off was 300’ past the numbers. Normal “roll out” for a 172RG is in excess of 800’. The stall warning horn was blaring all the way through final and power had to be added before touchdown to prevent splaying the landing gear.

Not too long later I was grateful to have received such a “work out” I received from that aerobatic instructor. Departing a small airport nested in a valley surround by much higher terrain with a passenger in a PA28-160 a baffle broke off inside the exhaust header on one side of the engine, reducing engine power more than 50% at lift off. There was not enough runway remaining to abort. At an altitude of 50’ there was no possibility of a course reversal to make it back so the entire pattern had to be flown at Vmc. When turning base to final we had managed to gain another 150’, enough to clear things in our path and make a safe landing. Had that instructor not taught what he did this story could have never been told. We would have died because the knowledge needed to instantly recognize and execute what had to be done would not have been there.

Over the years I’ve looked back fondly on that instruction. Because of it dealing with different types of equipment failures, single mag failure in C-150 dual mag ignition which required an emergency landing at a naval air station, electrical system failure on a PA28-140, landing gear failure on a C172-RG, failure of the rear prop governor on a C-337 ferry flight, were a lot less stressful to deal with.

Never got into an excess G black out situation though.

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
My best E-Coupon ride was in a Grob 103 sailplane south of Phoenix. 10,500 feet up in a thermal, tightened up the turn a smidge too much and executed a textbook over the top stall-spin entry. Tight left turn, top wing stalls and you basically snap to the right entering a right turning spin from a left turn. It is almost an inverted spin entry since you are looking straight down as you go over. Only took me 3,500 feet to recover too!!

Reactions: PatR and AH-1G
Having the experience to get out of trouble like that is one thing, it's the ability to stay calm and think things through without panicking.
Good job!

My best E-Coupon ride was in a Grob 103 sailplane south of Phoenix. 10,500 feet up in a thermal, tightened up the turn a smidge too much and executed a textbook over the top stall-spin entry. Tight left turn, top wing stalls and you basically snap to the right entering a right turning spin from a left turn. It is almost an inverted spin entry since you are looking straight down as you go over. Only took me 3,500 feet to recover too!!
On the way down, what were you feeling like?
7.gif

Reactions: Phaedrus
If that felt to you like it did for me, it was a very startling, Oh Chit! moment. Hopefully your instructors had taught spins before entering one. Mine had not.

I had applied for an instructor job at a low budget flight school. The owner was a fixed wing and ex-Nam helicopter pilot with somewhat sadistic tendencies. He loaded us up in a 152 to go out over the ocean to have me “teach” him how to fly. At 3000’ he had me “teach” him departure stall recognition, at which time he pitched up hard, left the throttle fire walled, rolled hard right and stomped the left pedal while yelling what should he do, what should he do? as the plane broke over the top.

I’d never done a spin in my life, which he suspected since he knew my primary instructor had been afraid of them. So I grabbed the yoke and took 3 revolutions to review in my mind all I had ever read about exiting a spin. Amazing how fast a plane descends in a spin... By 3-1/2 turns and 1500’ we were out of it. It probably would have exited by itself at 4 turns had I just left the controls alone but the effort was enough to indicate I had the right idea...

Yes my instructor did teach me several aerobatic maneuvers.
Do you remember being under the hood and told not to look at the instruments, while the flight instructor, was putting us in different orientations both with engine speed and attitudes? Then he would give us the controls and see how quickly we could maneuver our way to recovery?
Now that I excelled in. My instructor complemented me for my quick management of understanding instrument flight recognition orientations.

BTW, first time I ever flew, my instructor asked if I've ever flown a plane before. No I hadn't.
It was a piece of cake for me to fly and adapt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my