Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Freewell ND Filters for H Plus

Probably right. Kind of surprised that the range is that tight on it.

Falls under the law of minimums. The minimum size component capable of producing the desired result for the minimum cost.

There’s very little latitude built into consumer drones. Providing latitude would increase cost of production and reduce margin.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Just wondering, does the C23 needs balancing with these filters?
Yes, but not really. Or maybe I should say depends on the moon and stars. The C23 (at least mine) comes unbalanced slightly favoring the rear. With a standard 40.5mm single glass filter -no weight, the camera falls forward when powered off. Yet the C23 gimbal has no problem leveling the camera and maintaining good gimbal function. Here is where it may, or may not buzz. Here is when you may or may not need counter weights. If the moon is in the 7th house and the ambient temp is above 70°F, it won't buzz, or maybe I should say it might not buzz. Here is where the position of the Sun comes into play.

The bottom line is, with countless experiments using countless filter weight combinations, it is clear that nothing is very consistent, other than one reoccurring result: The balance is less important than the total weight. The more the weight, the less tendency to buzz, where as maintaining perfect balance did not necessarily help reduce or eliminate buzz.

To be clear, I am not using, nor have I tried Freewell filters, I have only tried 40.5mm 3rd party filters. Yuneec said we could use 40.5mm filters, so that what I have been trying to do.

At this point I am waiting for new firmware (with fingers crossed) that will give the C23 gimbal the quiet consistent operation of the CGO3+ gimbal, which never buzzed no mater how many filters and weights I hung on it. Ironically, it was never intended for threaded 3rd party filters.

Last edited:
Reactions: RPR
Curious if anyone has it. Most importantly, does it stay as set during flight?
I have had one since I first got my Plus and used it quite a bit, mostly because I had to for keeping gimbal buzz away (long story on request).

I can tell you a few things.
1) It stays where you adjust it without any problem. There is not enough vibration from the Plus to ever cause it to move.
2) The marks on the adjustment ring are not true. To find the lowest setting I need to hold it up to the light for the final adjustment.
3) It is HEAVY! It's like stacking filters and weighs twice as much as a single ND, and it needs such a big counter weight I was barely able to fit it on.

The big downsides: I do not think all the extra weight of the double filter and double counter weight is good for the gimbal and I have stopped using the variable ND altogether. Without the counter weight the gimbal is so off balance it sometimes struggles to level the camera, and once was unable to bring it up past 45° down tilt. That is a BIG red flag.

Also these are not multi-coated and when the sun hits the double glass filter it introduces multiple sets of extra reflections in the video. Not cool! If anyone doesn't understand the importance of multi-coatings it would be wise to investigate.

I would steer clear of this cheap, heavy, low quality filter and invest in a few good quality multi-coated ND filters.
...So there is your fair warning. You can thank me later!:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Morning, I have found these filters and they fit perfectly onto the adapter with the C23 camera. at 10g in weight i am hoping they wont require any balancing but if they do what weights have people used in the past ? looking for something that is removable

Last edited:
what weights have people used in the past ? looking for something that is removable
I use 1/4" round solid lead fishing weight that comes in a small spool. I cut a piece close to the right weight and flatten it with a hammer and file it to the desired shape and weight.

I use double-sided tape to hold my weights. The back of the C23 is ribbed so the wight can be removed without too much effort and the tape stays on the weight for next time.

Reactions: Steve0510
The Gobe 40.5mm filters work also. Seem to be very good quality. I am not sure about the weight yet.
UK:
US:

Morning, I have found these filters and they fit perfectly onto the adapter with the C23 camera. at 10g in weight i am hoping they wont require any balancing but if they do what weights have people used in the past ? looking for something that is removable

Hoya makes a decent filter. I've used them in the past on my DSLR cameras. Not tried them on a drone yet.

I have the Gobe ND filters and a nickle seems to balance it out well for me
The Gobe 40.5mm filters work also. Seem to be very good quality. I am not sure about the weight yet.
UK:
US:

I am going to try some wheel balancing weights and double sided tape as i can get them in 5 and 10g sizes, once the gimbel is level I will turn the H on and see how it goes

Wheel weights will be way too heavy.

I also bought golf club tape from a local golfing pro shop. Cost me 5 bucks.

filter weighs 10oz and the weight is 10oz... surely that's balanced !

Yes, and that is certainly important.....but you’ve added 20 oz’s to the mass of the camera. The power and endurance of the gimbal motors was not designed for that extra weight. What will be the effect of an extra 1 1/4 # of weight?

Reactions: Steve0510 and DCH
I am going to try some wheel balancing weights and double sided tape
Gimbal clearance is an issue and most wheels weights are not made of led anymore and are very large for their weight. I found them to be unsuitable. Golf tape is the best option, but I already had the fishing weight and 2-sided tape , and seeing that I'm cheapskate it was my best option! I think coins look better than flattened lead if you can find one or two that are the right weight, ...that is if you have two coins to rub together after buying a Plus...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Steve0510
maybe easier if Yuneec just made some filters for the camera !

I would be very satisfied if Yuneec would offer the adapter ring for sale. Having only the one included introduces a single point of failure. I’d happily buy one for each 40.5 I’ve got.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss