Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Future UAV Regulations, Restrictions - Be Aware

It was the existence of Section 336 which facilitated the successful legal challenge against the proposed 2015 Drone Safety Act so there can't be much doubt that 336 will be repealed or amended. All stakeholders - apart from the hobbyists - seem to want a blanket level of regulatory control hardwired into drones at the factory. And if hobbyists fully understood the alternatives, they too would be in favour, imho.

The talk about forcing hobbyists out of the sky is scaremongering as that surely isn't the intention. The regulators must get control of the low airspace in order to enforce safety restrictions and marshal traffic in a space which is likely to become increasingly populated by commercial, emergency, policing and inspection drones - as well as growing numbers of hobbyists. Surely, this is inevitable?

Hobbyists are big business - for the manufacturers and the government treasury. According to these estimates, there were 1.1m hobby drones in the USA back in 2016 and some 79,000 commercial UAS registered with the FAA. Even allowing for the greater cost of commercial drones, the hobby market is bigger and likely to remain so for some time. So nobody with any sense wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Instead, the revived Drone Safety Act will allow the regulators to impose tamper-proof, built-in safety controls on drone manufacturers - including a sophisticated/dynamic network of No-Fly Zones which will keep most hobbyists out of trouble without an unfeasible level of monitoring and intervention. No doubt there will also be protected lanes for commercial and government drone traffic which hobbyists won't be allowed to fly into.

As a way forward, that makes sense to me. The alternative would be for hobbyists to be grounded or forced to undergo expensive "overkill" training before they can fly in their own back yard (which would decimate the hobby market overnight - and still not guarantee safety and security).

And commercial/industrial/professional drone pilots will be able to bypass or unlock the built-in safety measures by applying for a permit. Given the much greater number of hobbyist pilots, that seems to be the sensible option in terms of allocating resources to the process.

In short, there can be no denying that the environment is changing rapidly and that all stakeholders need to find a safe and manageable way forward - which can't allow Section 336 to remain on the statute books. Times have changed.

Reactions: Barton
Recently, a thread drift occurred in the thread H plus photo from Iceland...camera is fantastic that I feel is important enough to deserve its own discussion thread - in part as a way of making the discussion more visible and more focused.

Below I will attempt to provide links to the pertinent posts with the hope that future posts on this topic will occur in this discussion.

There are no "global" changes planned since there is no global authority. As more moronic drone operators get drones I'm sure more restrictions will be put in place but hopefully there will be exemptions (as there are now in the US) for licensed operators. Iceland really clamped down due to the stupidity of tourists and this last trip I saw quite a change in the amount of drones flying which was a good thing to see. The vast majority of operators had virtually no idea of what being a responsible drone operator was all about. The reckless way they were flying which I witnessed would have precluded any descent photography or video. They were flying as if it was an aerobatic competition.
When last keeping up with European law it became evident the E.U., which would include the U.K. unless Brexit actually came to pass, was adopting across the board regs that required flight controllers to employ NFZ technology. European airspace is much more controlled and restrictive than U.S. airspace so from a bureaucrat perspective it would make sense to extend their control to hobby level flight. As one company has been expending considerable resources to lobby governments to adopt their technology it appears they won a major financial victory over there. Much money will be made from companies having to pay for licensing their code.

OTOH, Europe is very much a “fee for service” area where flying is concerned, requiring pilots to pay fees for multiple levels of flight and ground services every time they fly, whether they make use of those services or not. As drones would be an excellent source of tax (fee) revenue, requiring NFZ’s and an “oversight” authority to service them would set the stage for including drones in a fee for service extortion program structure. Those programs have made flying personal aircraft over there very expensive and reduced general aviation flying by a considerable level.

Plans to do similar here through an ATC privatization law were shot down in the last FAA reauthorization bill. The plan would have effectively given control of our airspace to commercial carriers and associated entities, requiring pilots to pay over and above their fuel tax fees, which are mandated by law to offset FAA service costs, every time they wanted to use a towered airport, check weather, receive ATC services, file flight plans, make use of airport security services, buy fuel, or any other service needed to fly their aircraft. The plan would essentially have given control of our airspace to those that have caused most of the airport congestion problems, the commercial air carriers. The same drone outfit that has been pushing for NFZ incorporation in Europe has been lobbying heavily for the same thing here, thus far without success. They even saw one of their minions become qualified (prematurely) to provide LAANC services for drone operators in hopes of collecting access service fees. The defeat of ATC privatization removed 50% of that potential revenue stream.

Because of upcoming changes to E.U. drone laws it’s easy to understand why Yuneec would employ NFZ tech there but to incorporate it in all their systems, especially those the list on their website as “professional” systems, which includes the H Plus, H-520 and 920 Plus, doesn’t make sense. As unit sales volume is greater in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world outside of China we might think Yuneec would make systems that permitted owners to operate freely within the legal confines of national geographies. We should also remember that Yuneec has publicly stated they do not restrict their commercial systems, a statement that has become a bit troubling with the presence of H Plus NFZ restrictions in Europe and no means to remove them.
I don't think the US regs are anywhere near settled yet - as this late 2017 news story indicates.

And having been temporarily withdrawn, I gather that the 2015 Drone Safety Act is back in play - and especially
"SEC. 3. SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR MANUFACTURERS OF CONSUMER DRONES" which includes the requirement for tamper-proof built-in safety measures.
I actually did not and have not stood by to let an uninformed media and public direct the use and information of drones. I spoke to several organizations in my home town a few years ago. Groups like Rotary etc. to show them what a marvelous tool drones could be when used safely. The response was overwhelmingly positive. I did something for the local police chief for recruitment using a drone and he became an advocate. I've done untold local television interviews and presentations for media representatives. I recently informed two city council members that their idea of local police giving citations for improper drone use was something the FAA would frown upon and directed them to documents which would provide them more information. In the classes I teach I stress the importance of safe operation because unsafe operators may result in the banning or curtailing of drone use. Probably the most important thing I do is always try and operate the drone in a courteous manner when people who may become annoyed with drones are in the vicinity and I take the time to patiently interact with them to answer their questions and concerns. I only mention this not because I'm touting my behavior but because I think we obviously need to take a proactive stance instead of whining and letting control slip into the hands of people who know little or nothing about drones.

As for professional VS amateur drones I've found that in most cases it's the end user and their creative abilities which determines whether the devices they are using are professional or amateur and by what they can produce with that device and not how the manufacturers label it. An old girlfriend in college wrote her PHD thesis entitled Reel Families which dealt with what sort of elements go into the distinction between professional and amateur. For me it's as simple as a device which generates revenue is professional and a device which does not is amateur.
Good on you; but even if there were one of you in every community (which there isn't), you wouldn't be able to reach out to all the drone operators. And the regulators don't seem to be in the mood to leave education/training to chance.

Of course, politically, it isn't drone owners who need to be educated - it's the non-owners, who are the vast majority and have the most votes. And however much you may educate non-owners, I think the majority would still be pro-regulation. Perhaps not too many folk are worried about their physical safety but it seems a perfectly natural response to be concerned about privacy and noise.

Even as a drone owner, I would vote in favour of regulations which prevent drones from spying on me or ruining my Sunday afternoon siesta in the back yard. And neither I, nor I suspect, the majority, would ever trust all drone pilots to fly considerately or within unenforced guidelines.

With the growth in drone use, governments are also naturally increasingly concerned about security, crowd safety, property ownership rights, etc. They have obviously been talked out of compulsory drone training by the manufacturers and by their own treasury officials who would lose a lot if the booming consumer drone market were diminished by red tape.

The alternative seems to be to build tamper-proof safety measures into every drone which isn't a child's toy. This will ensure an enforced level of safety out of the box and they will then deactivate the safety measures for commercial operators who apply for permits. That way, they only have to deal with the 5% (?) who fly commercially rather than the 95% who will have been covered by the built-in safety features.
H plus photo from Iceland...camera is fantastic [quoted text is too long, so link goes to original text]
H plus photo from Iceland...camera is fantastic [quoted text is too long, so link goes to original text]
H plus photo from Iceland...camera is fantastic

Last edited:
Reactions: YuKay
Perhaps if we ask the mods to transfer that series of posts to this thread and eliminate the links it would be more “user friendly”.

There’s also an issue with forum “applicability”. Management might feel such a discussion be more appropriate to the “General” forum but a problem with that is visibility. Far fewer people peruse and participate in the General forum and this topic deserves a lot more attention than the forum would generate. From my point of view this discussion should be in an area with high visibility.

Perhaps if we ask the mods to transfer that series of posts to this thread and eliminate the links it would be more “user friendly”.

There’s also an issue with forum “applicability”. Management might feel such a discussion be more appropriate to the “General” forum but a problem with that is visibility. Far fewer people peruse and participate in the General forum and this topic deserves a lot more attention than the forum would generate. From my point of view this discussion should be in an area with high visibility.
@PatR fully agree on visibility. Thought I would kick it up one level. I admit that I generally do not view discussions above the H Plus level 'cause I'm lazy and don't want to have to filter out stuff that applies to other platforms... :oops:
If what I just did seems inappropriate, I think there is a delete function I can employ...

My intention was to have future discussions in one thread with a minimum level of effort required by others to make the switch to this thread. Didn't want the moderators to hate me :eek:

I think your action was both enterprising and appropriate considering the importance and relevance to our activities of the subject matter. No worries from me.

Question, sort of... you are kind of new here based upon your post count but I’ve been noticing you seem to be much better informed or have more experience or both than most new members. If those observations are correct would you mind sharing a little about your hobby or “trade” experience for background? If you don’t care to it’s no big deal. Thanks.

@PatR fully agree on visibility. Thought I would kick it up one level. I admit that I generally do not view discussions above the H Plus level 'cause I'm lazy and don't want to have to filter out stuff that applies to other platforms... :oops:
Just looked at the 'General' forum - guess I had better look a little more global and pay better attention :).

If a moderator is willing to take on the extra work, moving the discussion thread to the 'General' forum, that would be the best solution.

Question, sort of... you are kind of new here based upon your post count but I’ve been noticing you seem to be much better informed or have more experience or both than most new members. If those observations are correct would you mind sharing a little about your hobby or “trade” experience for background? If you don’t care to it’s no big deal. Thanks.
@PatR Don't know if I'm better informed but no issues sharing my experience/background. First off, I'm a retired EE/SW engineer/engineering manager that worked most of my career for Fortune 50 companies. My training and disposition as an engineer may be what is showing through as being informed or having experience. That said, I started paying close attention to UAVs with the DJI Mavic Air announcement and spent the past seven months researching UAVs and waiting for the 'just around the corner' DJI announcement for the Mavic II. By late June it was clear the H+ met my requirements, especially for image quality, flight stability, speed (potential for windsurfing GPS speed sailing videos), and quiet flight. Given my understanding of the physics of 'larger the propeller, the quieter the UAS' I decided to stop waiting for DJI as I was pretty sure a fold-able UAS would be more noisy than the H+, would likely not have a 1" sensor (and if it did, would cost similar to the H+). So, here I am. :)

Hey Guys,

I have a few chores to take care of, but will try to group the said posts and move them to the General area later today.

Reactions: PatR and Barton
For those willing to add another layer to world wide coverage of products and press releases relevant to drones you might consider subscribing to sUAS News. It’s free and updates daily. Those that do so and periodically review the articles will be able to develop a sense of the trends that will be impacting our activities.

Reactions: Barton

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netnetweb