Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gatwick flights suspended after reports of drones over runway

I’ll argue China has the most surveilled population in the would, as you say, the U.K. is the most watched in the “free” world, with the U.S. close on their heels.

Reactions: Ren57
Indeed. I think the world has seen their response to this appalling act of state intrusion into their lives. I hope they receive the appropriate legal advice and sue the arse out of the police and any other state authorities that were involved. This is what needs to happen now, to make authorities think twice before they do anything like this again.

Moving forward to next year, when our illustrious police get given the powers to issue on-the-spot fines of up to £300 if (THEY) think (YOU) are flying inappropriately. And confiscate your drone and any image recording/storage equipment that you have. My heart sinks at the prospect of this and I can just imagine what the stories will be like in our mainstream media rags when this comes to pass.
Most police officers seem reasonable I find, if you blatantly doing something wrong then thats different, if these apps notification system is successful then most flights would be legal, I don't fly in any built up areas doesn't interest me, the police in my county are so stretched as a friend who's a policeman says, that they can barely keep up with the work load now, and being a rural county, the few built up areas get responses first, they haven't turned up even to robbery or assault the same day. It's nothing new that you could get a fine and equipment seized for whole variety of crimes. In a nutshell, they haven't got the time or resources for the extra workload, I don't know your area but I haven't seen a policeman walking through my area small town for years, and months since seeing a police car.

Last edited:
Most police officers seem reasonable I find
Oh deary deary me. Whilst I agree with you on the police workload thing, you are sadly deluded if you think for one micro second that if the police are given new powers, that they won't abuse it. I hope that you're right and when the plod do turn up on your're doorstep because some bizzy-body has reported you for flying in a way that they didn't like is understanding. The couple from Crawly that were arrested were completely innocent. Some bizzy body neighbour reported them to the plod and with just a Facebook post to go on the rozzers had them in chokey for 36 hours and ruined their Christmas! Just imagine what would have happened if they didn't have people that could vouch for their whereabouts at the time. They'd likely still be in chokey now......!

Reactions: thoneter
Unfor
Oh deary deary me. Whilst I agree with you on the police workload thing, you are sadly deluded if you think for one micro second that if the police are given new powers, just modificationsthat they won't abuse it. I hope that you're right and when the plod do turn up on your're doorstep because some bizzy-body has reported you for flying in a way that they didn't like is understanding. The couple from Crawly that were arrested were completely innocent. Some bizzy body neighbour reported them to the plod and with just a Facebook post to go on the rozzers had them in chokey for 36 hours and ruined their Christmas! Just imagine what would have happened if they didn't have people that could vouch for their whereabouts at the time. They'd likely still be in chokey now......!
Unfortunately they were involved, there's something strange about that, they were grassed up framed, yes and innocent, plenty of people have been arrested, there's no new powers, hey could arrest you before and take your drone and inspect the footage and search your home.under exsiting powers, just modifications if there was reasonable justification too, OK in most incidents they gave the user a good telling or a small fine. If the app is as good as they say which I doubt, you'll have to upload your flight plans before you fly and if your data is all recorded it in theory help, but major problems will be still have to be addressed. Time will tell I wouldn't risk flying in any built areas now, it will take a long time for attitudes to change if at all, people will have to be careful more than ever where they fly,

Man fined for flying drone at football matches and Buckingham Palace

Last edited:
I would really hope that the police do not have the resources to be combing the British Countryside for people flying on big empty hillsides, even if they are National Trust hillsides occasionally ;) You'd be taking a slightly bigger risk the nearer you got to built-up areas, but if you are able to keep 150m away from them (such as in parks on the edge of town) your telemetry should keep you safe, and you can always volunteer that without them having to confiscate anything.

My greatest worry is that all this scrutiny and possibly confiscations / home raids might happen at the merest whim of any member of the public who takes exception to our flying for any reason, legitimate or (most likely) not. IME the police are generally pretty reasonable. Shame we can't say that of the GP !

Last edited:
My greatest worry is that all this scrutiny and possibly confiscations home raids / might happen at the merest whim of any member of the public who takes exception to our flying for any reason, legitimate or (most likely) not. IME the police are generally pretty reasonable. Shame we can't say that of the GP !
My view exactly. However, I have to report that I did fly today and that although I walked the cliffs of west Ceredigion for some distance, eventually finding a deserted beach to fly on, some members of the public did happen along. What do you have to do to find a place away from people on this small island?!!! Anyway, they were all pretty humourous about the situation. Quite the opposite of what I was expecting. It's restored my faith in human nature a little bit...:) Oh, and AeroJ, news. 64Gb U3 micro SD card = no pulsating video effect, even when recording in Gorgeous mode. What a result! Yeah!

Reactions: AeroJ
Oh, and AeroJ, news. 64Gb U3 micro SD card = no pulsating video effect, even when recording in Gorgeous mode. What a result! Yeah!

Really ?!! I really hope your're right ! I do already have what was quite an expensive U3 by some weird brand (Delkin - ever heard of them ?) but that hasn't solved it for me so far. But you have given me hope, so please tell me the brand so I can try it !!

Delkin makes extremely good cards. They are often one of the brands used in 8k cameras.

You get what you pay for. Look at it this way, you didn’t buy an expensive one, but a good one. Delkin’s really good cards are all serialized and run up to a couple hundred bucks a copy.

Last edited:
eally ?!! I really hope your're right ! I do already have what was quite an expensive U3 by some weird brand (Delkin - ever heard of them ?) but that hasn't solved it for me so far. But you have given me hope, so please tell me the brand so I can try it !!
Really! standard Samsung 64Gb U3 micro SD card. I need to test it in much better lighting conditions but so far do good!

You have to love the way these conversations go...........from Gatwick flights suspended to Micro Sd cards LOL :)

You have to love the way these conversations go...........from Gatwick flights suspended to Micro Sd cards LOL :)

Yeah sorry - didn't mean to derail it, but me and @Ren57 have been trying to solve this one for ages, over many many threads :) I'll try the Samsung, and say no more about it (here) !!

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
If it wasn’t the General forum we’d never get away with it. This is kind of running like a bunch of good friends that got together for coffee or a beer; the conversation wanders as the usual conversational distractions happen within the gathering. We can roll back into Gatwick in a heartbeat if something new pops up.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry - didn't mean to derail it, but me and @Ren57 have been trying to solve this one for ages, over many many threads :) I'll try the Samsung, and say no more about it (here) !!

The card matters more than some may realize. It can flow or it can choke. If you’re one that experiences jerky pans, splurge a little and buy better, faster, more expensive cards. If you still have jerky pans afterwards the fault resides in the computer, the processing, or the playback programs. If you want pro quality you can’t get it on a homeless budget.

The card matters more than some may realize. It can flow or it can choke. If you’re one that experiences jerky pans, splurge a little and buy better, faster, more expensive cards. If you still have jerky pans afterwards the fault resides in the computer, the processing, or the playback programs. If you want pro quality you can’t get it on a homeless budget.

Thanks Pat, but I assure you I am the first to notice if there are frame-rate or smoothness issues with footage. Alas, jerky pans or juddering playback are not the problem - my video is as smooth as butter, and never drops frames, yet does these weird dimming flashes every 1 second that ruins most footage. I previously was using Class 10s, which also gave me no playback issues, even at 4k, but had to upgrade to the Delkin because I couldn't send the camera back to Yuneec without having tried a U3 certified card first. I went with the Delkin because it wasn't cheap (£60 for a 32 GB), and had a data rate way in excess of what the CGO3+ requires, so was fairly sure that wasn't the issue. Until what @Ren57 reported today - he has been having an identical problem, but as fas as I know is the only other TH user to have experienced this particular issue...

I don't know if Yuneec genuinely tested tested my camera or not, but some sample footage they produced didn't have the problem, and they returned my camera unchanged, blaming my tracker for the 'interference'. Of course I removed that when I re-tested, and the problem was still there, and has been to some degree or another ever since... 'tis most frustrating !

Last edited:
Delkin makes extremely good cards. They are often one of the brands used in 8k cameras.

You get what you pay for. Look at it this way, you didn’t buy an expensive one, but a good one. Delkin’s really good cards are all serialized and run up to a couple hundred bucks a copy.
They acquired the rights to XQD when Lexar stopped producing all memory, they've started selling them, will be interesting to see how they perform, Delkin in UK has always been a lower quality brand/reputation.

The Delkin line is one of the best brands for use with the 920/CGO-4, which has higher bit rates and mpxl counts than the H/CGO-3. You can spin the pan or the airframe as fast or slow as you like and see any data hesitations. Perhaps it’s the camera but when I use other cards the results are not as good.

Sorry for the late response. After consuming my Christmas dinner and then having one or two pints of Shepherd Neame's 'Spitfire Bitter' (The Bottle of Britain) I promptly fell asleep while sitting in front of my laptop:) Only to be awoken at 3am by the wife who in a kind but terse voice, proclaimed that I was snoring!

Anyway yes, the Samsung U3 SD card. I did start another thread about it but wasn't sure at that time if you'd seen it or not. I bought mine the old fashioned way by walking into my local Currys/PC world and picking one off the shelf. It's a Samsung EVO U3. Like I said, I've only completed one flight using it but having reviewed the footage I cannot see any sign of the pulsating video effect that you and I have been suffering from. I might try later today and hope to have better lighting conditions than yesterday....

Reactions: biltno and AeroJ
Sorry for the late response. After consuming my Christmas dinner and then having one or two pints of Shepherd Neame's 'Spitfire Bitter' (The Bottle of Britain) I promptly fell asleep while sitting in front of my laptop:) Only to be awoken at 3am by the wife who in a kind but terse voice, proclaimed that I was snoring!

Anyway yes, the Samsung U3 SD card. I did start another thread about it but wasn't sure at that time if you'd seen it or not. I bought mine the old fashioned way by walking into my local Currys/PC world and picking one off the shelf. It's a Samsung EVO U3. Like I said, I've only completed one flight using it but having reviewed the footage I cannot see any sign of the pulsating video effect that you and I have been suffering from. I might try later today and hope to have better lighting conditions than yesterday....
Have you had bad results with SanDisk?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCDrone