Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gimbal not level mid flight E90

Fin

Reaction score
I started a grid survey of a building with the camera at 50degrees. When completed I still had 70% so started to manually take some images at 30degrees of the sides of the building.
I once I made my way to the fourth (back) side of the building the horizon was suddenly very slanted. I flew the H520 close to have a look and the gimbal was tilted. Wouldn’t reset after moving all gimbal controls - full 360 rotation, full up and down. Had to RTL then switch of and back on - seemed to reset.

This is not something that I can live with - mid way through a mission for this to happen is not acceptable.
Has anyone else experienced similar?

For any proper 3D modelling I will need to do this until an orbit function is added.

Yeah, something like that happened to me. I discussed it in the thread of the problems I've had with the E90. On three occasions, start the H520 on a level surface and the camera tilted to the left. Move it in the air, like you did and there was no way. Land, turn off the H520 and switch it back on and everything is OK.

It started happening to me 2 updates ago, in the previous one where I was supposed to fix the battery problems.

Did yours start off level then in middle of flight tilt to side?

I also notice my E90 very noisy - notice the noise when I have landed - very loud.

Well, I'm not sure if when I take off, as I always do in manual and look at the aircraft, the camera was already uneven.

But this afternoon on the phone with our comrade Javier Olalla we discussed the case and it happened to him too and he realized that the same thing that happens to me happens to him after doing the compass calibration when you change to a faraway location. What I didn't realize was the fact of doing the calibration.

Calibrate, turn the H520 off and on and run smoothly. I don't think it happened in the middle of the flight. I haven't detected the E90 making noise either. I don't know, but it looks like the gymbal is failing physically if it makes noise. You probably need to go to technical service :(

Well, I'm not sure if when I take off, as I always do in manual and look at the aircraft, the camera was already uneven.

But this afternoon on the phone with our comrade Javier Olalla we discussed the case and it happened to him too and he realized that the same thing that happens to me happens to him after doing the compass calibration when you change to a faraway location. What I didn't realize was the fact of doing the calibration.

Calibrate, turn the H520 off and on and run smoothly. I don't think it happened in the middle of the flight. I haven't detected the E90 making noise either. I don't know, but it looks like the gymbal is failing physically if it makes noise. You probably need to go to technical service :(

My gimbal makes noise on every time it lands - sounds like a cooling fan or something - goes off if i move the H520.
I think I will try and get my supplier to replace it - something seems odd about it.

Only just seen this but was having the exact same problem. Yuneec suggested checking that the firmware was updated to the latest - so I updated it. The gimbal then gave up completely... turned my E90 into a limp, good for nothing spinning ball.

Only had it a few weeks to reported it to the supplier I got it from who had me return it and they sent me a new one. All good since but a bit frustrating. Supplier were very good about it though given that it was so new.

I was sent a firmware file also a few weeks back by my supplier, I have not got round to putting it in the E90 yet... hope I don’t also brick my camera!!

My gimbal makes noise on every time it lands - sounds like a cooling fan or something - goes off if i move the H520.
I think I will try and get my supplier to replace it - something seems odd about it.

Fin,

Have you noticed if your camera/gimbal is vibrating when it is making noise?

This is a very important observation to make. I am on my second E50, still experiencing intermittent vibration, and now the tilt. Will likely open a new thread just for this.

Jeff

The gimbal of my second E50 also vibrates when panning, if the tilt goes to about 45 degrees or lower. This while sitting in the bench with motors off. The lower gimbal plate (not the one directly attached to the H520) is where the major vibration emanates.

I am now being told it may not be the camera/gimbal assembly. Will be anxiously awaiting my options as I continue to work with my dealer as to these very options. Only two exist, by my count, if not an inherent problem with the whole camera/gimbal platform (or just bad luck of the draw for the two I have tested so far.)

By the way, the dealer tech support could not replicate the vibration when testing my original E50, nor have they been able to reproduce with another H520/E50 combo, or so I’ve been told. Not saying I have doubts. Just no way for me to verify personally.

My 38 years of troubleshooting electronics and computer hardware always insist on knowing all the facts, and thus force me to state when I do not.

Jeff

Last edited:
So I am using the E90, and I have found this issue with my gimbals roll being off. Meaning the horizon is tilted.

As of the time of this post all firmware up to date, camera, gimbals, flight control software, and all calibrations have been completed prior to flights.

I have been noticing this issue for weeks and have avoided the inevitable, sending it to be repaired as this would be very problematic, due to the fact I have to work with this drone regularly. Also, after contacting tech support over the issue, and a factory reset the issue remains. So the only answer I get from tech support is send it back for repair.

The issue appears when the aircraft is moving at higher speeds (Above 16 ft per sec.), when it makes hard turns (Sometimes even during legs of autonomous flight, if I have the speed set higher than 12 ft per sec.), and sometimes for no noticeable reason at all it seems.

The issue will resolve itself some of the time if the aircraft is left in a hover, but this is not always the case. Plus having to waste valuable time (10-40 seconds.) waiting for the gimbals to level off is just no good.

Also, sometimes if I yaw the aircraft the gimbals will correct itself at some point in the 360 yaw, but go back to tilting by the time the aircraft finishes the yaw. Left or right same result. It also seems to have similar effect when I am encountering the issue, but choose to pan the camera 360. At some point in the pan the roll levels out, but then goes back to the tilted horizon as the 360 pan completes. Again right or left, the same.

If it not an issue with a bad gimbal motor, then it has to be a software issue. My guess is that telemetry data being communicated between the aircraft and the gimbals is not accurate, so that the gimbal thinks it needs to be in a certain position relative to the aircraft's pitch and roll. Since as I mentioned if left alone to hover, and not fighting high winds, it slowly recalculates its relative position with the aircraft and gimbal. Meaning that the horizion levels back out, however. If you do something that confuses the equipment, back comes the gimbals roll issue.

Any ideas or should I open a fresh thread? This thread is months old.

Mine does that too, it's very annoying. Sometimes it doesn't go away, so I land and re-boot. I put it down to the firmware.

I also have that problem from approximately update E90 gimbal to 1.33.x.
Sometimes help gimbal calibration right before takeoff, or powering Yuneec on good leveled place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval