Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GIS - MAPPING - PHOTOGRAMMETRY with Typhoon H

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I would like to do some mapping (at moment just for fun) with my Typhoon H.
I did a fast research and I found out some free software that I am listing here:

- OpenDroneMap (if someone need it I created the ISO [in the case you are not able to do it] that you can run on VirtualBox that is free too);
- QGis
- Videociel

On payment software side:

- UAV Toolbox that is seems very interesting for it's price
- UgCS (but not sure if it works on Typhoon H as they put in the compatible drone list only the Typhoon H520)

Do you have any other suggestion or experience with these or other software?
I am very interested in reading your opinions.
Ciao
Max

I would stick with UAV Toolbox, that's the only one recommended on here.

I did a mapping exercise with a Typhoon H, flying manually back & forth across a site with the camera set to timelapse, so a photo every 3 seconds. I then sent the data to Maps Made easy. Result was quite good considering there was no advance flight planning. Low-res version attached. I also used a trial version of Agisoft to produce the same map, which happens on your own computer, while MapsMadeEasy is a cloud service. All just for fun.

Attachments

• DevilsHole20190709 resize.jpg
    DevilsHole20190709 resize.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 71
I did a mapping exercise with a Typhoon H, flying manually back & forth across a site with the camera set to timelapse, so a photo every 3 seconds. I then sent the data to Maps Made easy. Result was quite good considering there was no advance flight planning. Low-res version attached. I also used a trial version of Agisoft to produce the same map, which happens on your own computer, while MapsMadeEasy is a cloud service. All just for fun.
what was the distance from soil?

Wow! Very nice job!

Thanks. The height was 35m above launch point, which was on the higher ground around the crater, which is about 10-12m deep in places.

Really Nice job.

There is an old and pretty nice looking mill museum near me. I scanned it with the Typhoon and RealityCapture few years ago. I used the UAV Toolbox to create CCC missions that the Typhoon flew and captured photos. These are not photographs, but screenshots of a very high-resolution 3D-model of the mill.

With the Thunderbird / Stock PX4 firmware and its full mission support, this will be even more easy soon. ;)

verla_3.jpgverla_1.jpg

This is how it looks in a photo (shot in four seasons, also with the TH of course ;)):

There is an old and pretty nice looking mill museum near me. I scanned it with the Typhoon and RealityCapture few years ago. I used the UAV Toolbox to create CCC missions that the Typhoon flew and captured photos. These are not photographs, but screenshots of a very high-resolution 3D-model of the mill.

With the Thunderbird / Stock PX4 firmware and its full mission support, this will be even more easy soon. ;)

View attachment 20633View attachment 20634

This is how it looks in a photo (shot in four seasons, also with the TH of course ;)):
It is a very nice work .... I saw that RealityCapture costs 4000 euro ....but I saw there is a demo too.

It is a very nice work .... I saw that RealityCapture costs 4000 euro ....but I saw there is a demo too.

Thanks! ;)

The RealityCapture was really good until they ramped up their prices. I'll test the Agisoft Photoscan's standard version some day with the same image set that I used with the RC. Unfortunately, no viable open source solutions exist for photogrammetry. The ODM is promising, but its results are far away from where RC or Photoscan are. ;)

Reactions: Mmilo1971
Thanks! ;)

The RealityCapture was really good until they ramped up their prices. I'll test the Agisoft Photoscan's standard version some day with the same image set that I used with the RC. Unfortunately, no viable open source solutions exist for photogrammetry. The ODM is promising, but its results are far away from where RC or Photoscan are. ;)
What about Ucgs? But I see that they are saying that the dron supported is the Typhoon H520.
The cost of UcGS it is 600 euro or usd (I don't remember).
Do you think that it will work with the H too or the H520 is too different?

What about Ucgs? But I see that they are saying that the dron supported is the Typhoon H520.
The cost of UcGS it is 600 euro or usd (I don't remember).
Do you think that it will work with the H too or the H520 is too different?

I haven't tested that one but I think that the UcGS is not a photogrammetry application, only a "mission planner"? It's very likely that it will not work with a stock Typhoon, but it could work with the Typhoon running my stock PX4 fork. But then, there is pretty good QGroundcontrol available for that one. ;)

Thanks! ;)

How does one get streets and others noted information (words) added easily; or is that manual post process?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval