Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Ground shadows

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to either prevent ground shadowing or remove from the video when processing it after the flight? The problem I have are the shadows created from my subjecst. For example, I always try to keep the sun behind me but then the object will cast a large shadow. I've even gone into a hover and rotated the camera, but the showing takes away from the subject. I've even done the Auto WB, focused on the subject then locked in the WB.

Shadows are a fact of life. You can use them for artistic advantage or plan angles to minimize their effect. Time of day determines the length and direction of shadows. If you want to avoid them, shoot at noon.

Last edited:
Reactions: abinder
figured as much. Just trying to see if anyone had any advice on best angle position for best "look". example, have the sun behind you and the objects shadow "stretched" in the direction the camera is facing? Or, have the sun about 30 degrees off to the side of the camera and see more detail from the object with the its shadow "stretched" at an angle. I think the best detail i've gotten so far was when clouds covered the sun for about 15 mins.

Or you could front light to offset back lighting, but that would be an expensive game. Staging an aerial shoot using additional lighting would be a hand full.

figured as much. Just trying to see if anyone had any advice on best angle position for best "look". example, have the sun behind you and the objects shadow "stretched" in the direction the camera is facing? Or, have the sun about 30 degrees off to the side of the camera and see more detail from the object with the its shadow "stretched" at an angle. I think the best detail i've gotten so far was when clouds covered the sun for about 15 mins.
In PD14 you can use "Object Remove" and it will remove the shawdow(s) and fill it in with whatever is behind the shadow! Grass, trees, building, anything!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumberjack0
I've done years of research on this and I've found shooting at night under certain conditions removes most shadows depending on moon phase:) This technique while effective may have unforeseen consequences like not being able to see the subject you actually want to film and crashing. The finished product could have less detail than filming during the day and you may need to add lots of text graphics and narration to help the viewer imagine what it is they're not seeing. An unintended benefit using this method is you won't have to worry about things like white balance, exposure, or frankly even remembering to hit the record button. Until you've mastered this technique I suggest you don't use it for things that are important because let's face it not everyone will appreciate this "thinking out of the box" style of video. For those nay sayers I say who's the Film Maker? Don't let short sighted people hold your creativity back **** it!

Reactions: Rayray
Thank you all for all the tips and techniques. I have no clue but felt "there has to be a way"

I've done years of research on this and I've found shooting at night under certain conditions removes most shadows depending on moon phase:) This technique while effective may have unforeseen consequences like not being able to see the subject you actually want to film and crashing. The finished product could have less detail than filming during the day and you may need to add lots of text graphics and narration to help the viewer imagine what it is they're not seeing. An unintended benefit using this method is you won't have to worry about things like white balance, exposure, or frankly even remembering to hit the record button. Until you've mastered this technique I suggest you don't use it for things that are important because let's face it not everyone will appreciate this "thinking out of the box" style of video. For those nay sayers I say who's the Film Maker? Don't let short sighted people hold your creativity back **** it!

There's a production company called Eclipse Films who use this cutting edge approach in all their productions. Problem is their showreel is not available.:D

so I've learned 1) always, always, always take the best video you can. time of day, angle, white balance, shutter etc. THEN 2) use software to touch up/edit....post production. I looked up what DroneClone recommended of PD14. That is awesome! select the object, then the software fills in the space. However, I'm only seeing it done in the Cyberlink Photodirector software. Where as Adobe After Effects uses both photoediting to remove object, then overlay onto the video. Does PowerDirector have the same capability? The object removal seemed easier in Photodirector but I need objects removed in video. Is Aftereffects better for this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop