Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H Gimbal Mount Question

Reaction score
So I've searched the forums but haven't found an answer to this question: Does the Typhoon H camera gimbal mount use 2 or 4 rubber mounts? I ask because I just noticed yesterday after some flying that mine only has 2 rubber grommets with pins, in opposite corners of the mount. My Q500 has 4 grommets and I assumed the H would as well. I've only flown a few times and have never found any parts in the packaging/foam case or anywhere else so I sure they didn't fall out.
I'm about to call Yuneec to find out but wanted to ask here in the forums first. Thanks in advance...
Gary

So...just to be sure, I sent an email to Yuneec Customer Support and explained my concern that my H only came with two mounts. I received this reply today:
"Please send us the following: Name, Phone Number, Shipping Address, Email Address, Proof of Purchase, Model, and Serial Number (located on the bottom of your drone and starts with "YU." Please let us know if you have any questions. When you supply the required information we will order you a replacement set of rubber dampers."
I suppose the number of dampers sent in the replacement set will answer the question (2 or 4). Reply with requested information sent!

Two rubber mounts with pins, two rubber mounts without pins. I apologize for the misinformation earlier. I just removed the Camera/Gimbal to have a closer look and saw the two rubber mounts that do not have pins.

Two rubber mounts with pins, two rubber mounts without pins. I apologize for the misinformation earlier. I just removed the Camera/Gimbal to have a closer look and saw the two rubber mounts that do not have pins.

We all have only two retaining pins on our H machines. A zip tie on each of the others seems the way many have gone if worried.

That seems odd. There are 4 mounting holes and the replacement kit consists of all four grommets with pins: Mount Set: Yuneec Typhoon H CGO3+
I'd feel better having four mounts securing the camera/gimbal.

I clicked on the referenced Mount Set above and when it opened that site, it showed what comes in the box including the gimbal mount. It only has two pins and four rubber grommets. So apparently Yuneec feels that only two pins are needed.
Where's me zip ties? ;-)

just noticed this on mine - had the 2 diagonal rubber mounts with the pins OK, one of the other 2 diagonal ones was completely out and that corner of the gimbal was flapping about lower than the rest and it was not happy at staying in once I put it back in

Whilst flying my Typhoon H on bonfire night I noticed that one of the screw caps had come off my mount.
I have just called UK Support and they advised that they dont sell these parts separately, Id have to buy a top plate.
He said that small cable ties would be a better solution for holding these in.
Ill try it today and let you know!

Attachments

• IMG_8987.JPG
    IMG_8987.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
This is such an easy fix. Small cable ties or thin string have been used as vibration ball mount safety devices since this type of mount came into existence. When working with a suspension mount you have to employ a safety if you tend to land hard or crash. The root cause of separation is most always found with the owner in rough handling or poor operational practices. They don't normally just fall out of the mount unless the camera is too heavy for the mount. Ours is not. The fix is an easy one, one that is rarely needed once people learn how to handle their aircraft and associated components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is such an easy fix. Small cable ties or thin string have been used as vibration ball mount safety devices since this type of mount came into existence. When working with a suspension mount you have to employ a safety if you tend to land hard or crash. The root cause of separation is most always found with the owner in rough handling or poor operational practices. They don't normally just fall out of the mount unless the camera is too heavy for the mount. Ours is not. The fix is an easy one, one that is rarely needed once people learn how to handle their aircraft and associated components.

noticed mine before 1st flight so must have come in like it during transit and just noticed it hanging down further at one corner, but noticed they use a very soft rubber mount compared to the phantoms which seem a little stiffer

Rubber compositions are determined by what a system requires. Different camera, gimbal combinations require different rubber densities, then toss in differences necessary due to other equipment differences. Essentially, the damper used for a Phantom would probably not function well on an H. One size does not fit all so to speak. There are several densities made for small Tarot gimbals for this reason.

As for receiving one detached, consider it may not have been assembled correctly to begin with. This has happened sat least once that I'm aware of. Alternatively, extremely rough handling during shipping can cause it. If you have ever been inside a UPS shipping hub and seen how they handle packages, or watched how a UPS driver tosses boxes around inside their trucks, you would understand.

Last edited:

Question... I am looking at two items on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Metronic-Adjustable-Length-Security-Fasteners/dp/B01DLSZYVC/

and

Amazon.com: C2G / Cables To Go 43036 4-Inch Cable Ties - 100 Pack (Black): Home Audio & Theater

The first does not specify the tensile strength, but I have seen other examples of this type of beaded security tie
with a rated tensile strength of 8 pounds. The second has a rated tensile strength of 18 pounds. So how much
is enough?

Like the discussion of the virtues of having plastic props breaking off easily and therefore reducing torque
stress on the motors during an impact, would the breaking way of the gimbal assembly at the lower 8 pound
rating do the same thing in minimizing potential damage to the camera? Or should I get the higher rated ones,
on the premise of hanging on under greater stress?

The following is probably not want to you want for a reply but is very important when making decisions about gimbal retention. Short version is you probably already have effective retention devices in your home.

The gimbal and camera on the H do not have hard wiring connecting the gimbal to the airframe. What is does have is a mounting plate securely attached to the airframe. The camera to gimbal isolation mount is designed to be frangible in order to separate from the aircraft in the event of a crash or extremely hard landing to prevent load forces of the camera/gimbal to damage the airframe. In essence, you want a very weak corner safety device in place that will still permit the gimbal to depart the airframe in the event of a crash. Employing that device at only two corners achieves that.

I don't have a scale nearby but holding the camera assembly in my hand I estimate the camera assembly weighs ~8 ounces. If you use a 4 corner safety device where each device provides 4lbs of break away you installed a system that provides 8 times the strength necessary to retain the camera assembly during normal operations. In the event of a crash there is no way the camera assembly can separate from the aircraft, assuring that kinetic energy generated by the camera mass is transmitted directly to the airframe. In that situation you end up replacing the bottom of the aircraft body and repairing the wiring between the gimbal contacts and the electrical boards inside the H instead of easily re-installing the ends of 4 rubber isolation mounts in the upper gimbal mount.

We are not back in the days where heavy cameras were being installed on DIY gimbals that had gimbal and camera control boards hard wired to the gimbal and airframe, and in many cases several servos affixed to drive the gimbal. Cameras and the lower gimbal assembly could actually fall off the gimbal while in flight because of the combined suspended weight and a means of additional camera security were necessary. What is provided on the H is effective and adequate. If you feel the need to have more, make up the two remaining corner devices using un-waxed dental floss, kite string, or super light fishing line. You want the gimbal to retain the ability to detach from the airframe.

Once correctly installed, the H camera assembly is not going to fall off during normal flight operations regardless of how hard you fly it. It will only separate during an impact event. It's much better to learn how to fly and land the H and not generate an impact event. Don't run into things and learn to land like your aircraft has sore feet. It's not possible to design an aircraft with enough safety devices to protect the aircraft from the operator. If such an aircraft was made it would be too heavy to fly.

Last edited:
I completely appreciate your clarification on this. I had thought that was the case, and of course a $10 replacement
of a gimbal mount certainly is preferable to $500 for a new camera. I am completely grateful for the members here
for the info available on this board. I really haven't even started on any real video yet, as I want all my concentration
on learning to fly safely.

Is there a manual or procedure written anywhere on the gimbal? I would like to know how to remove the gimbal from the drone without resorting to trial and error. I have to say I am shocked as to how little documentation exists on the Typhoon H and its accessories, its almost like you have to use a third party repair facility to do anything with the drone.

Is there a manual or procedure written anywhere on the gimbal? I would like to know how to remove the gimbal from the drone without resorting to trial and error. I have to say I am shocked as to how little documentation exists on the Typhoon H and its accessories, its almost like you have to use a third party repair facility to do anything with the drone.

An improved manual, as done by the people who know the H best... us.

Want to help make a better manual?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval