Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H just keeps on drifting

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my TH's both drift badly when they get into the prop wash nearing a landing. This isn't an every time occurrence but it's frequent enough that when it doesn't happen I'm mildly surprised.

But.... with the TH we have a simple solution. It's the little red button. Get your TH in position just a foot above the landing location, wait for a reasonably steady moment, then hit the kill switch and hold it down. Your TH will settle comfortably onto earth and shut down quickly avoiding the teetering toppling prop wrecking slow roll tip-overs it enjoys doing so much.

Just my 0.02
I suspect that's what OP is referring too the last moments. It comes with practice.

How far off the ground do you mean? You mention landing, Is that a few feet off the ground before touchdown, then it can be a little unstable and wander from the draughts from the props on the ground, or is this higher up. The description is vague.
Thank you, these symptoms persist way above prop wash height.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my TH's both drift badly when they get into the prop wash nearing a landing. This isn't an every time occurrence but it's frequent enough that when it doesn't happen I'm mildly surprised.

But.... with the TH we have a simple solution. It's the little red button. Get your TH in position just a foot above the landing location, wait for a reasonably steady moment, then hit the kill switch and hold it down. Your TH will settle comfortably onto earth and shut down quickly avoiding the teetering toppling prop wrecking slow roll tip-overs it enjoys doing so much.

Just my 0.02
Thank you and thats my problem, I fly with guys each weekend with dji craft and they land them every time on a pre determined mark, its getting increasingly frustrating not to mention embarrassing having to make excuses for my inability to perform the most basic of maneuvers

Thank you and thats my problem, I fly with guys each weekend with dji craft and they land them every time on a pre determined mark, its getting increasingly frustrating not to mention embarrassing having to make excuses for my inability to perform the most basic of maneuvers
The Typhoon will not land on a predetermined spot, certainly not as accurate as a Dji, in angle mode it will land within a few metres of the ST16 and in smart it will produce a sort of bubble no go zone around you, if you move towards it it will move away.

Accuracy landing in the exact same spot is IMO, who cares?
You have a drone that looks so cool and manly, not a toy!
Once you fix this little issue you'll be able to land in the same spot manually also.
And better yet even when it's windy!
Now lets see how dji handles landing in 15+ mph winds?

Reactions: thetrecker
Thank you and thats my problem, I fly with guys each weekend with dji craft and they land them every time on a pre determined mark, its getting increasingly frustrating not to mention embarrassing having to make excuses for my inability to perform evidence the most basic of maneuvers

Part of it has to do with having more prop wash from the two extra motors and the fact that the TH does not record the GPS coordinates for the home point, rather it uses the position of the ST-16 and if using RTH it will land about 8 meters from the ST-16.

I also own a Yuneec Breeze and the GPS coordinates are recorded for the Home point. Using RTH with it brings the Breeze back within 3 feet of the takeoff point most of the time.

The only way to take care of the low level drift is to change the PID values used by the FC during a low level hover during landing. Unfortunately we do not have access to those settings ( a very good thing for most users, as you can really mess up the flight parameters and crash your bird quite easily ). Where the Typhoon H really excels is its ability to avoid drift in high winds once it is out of ground effect (about 5 meters altitude).

Last edited:
Reactions: Good time Charlie
Reactions: AH-1G
i do experience drifting at head height or just above ( 6 to 10 feet ) quite often sometimes wonder if i am to close to the craft ( instruction do say 24 foot away regardless of being in smart mode or not ) as auto take off always give me a very nice hover at around 10" with no drifting and the controller will not let me do an auto take off if too close to the H

i do experience drifting at head height or just above ( 6 to 10 feet ) quite often sometimes wonder if i am to close to the craft ( instruction do say 24 foot away regardless of being in smart mode or not ) as auto take off always give me a very nice hover at around 10" with no drifting and the controller will not let me do an auto take off if too close to the H
Thats exactly it, I experience this at double this height too

The drone mat is accurate enough for me.

Wait for the day you are trying out for a paying job, being given several different types of drones to demonstrate your skills on a breezy day, and provided only a front passenger seat floor mat from a BMW to use as a landing pad. You’ll work hard for that spot regardless of what you’re flying. Bad enough doing it nose out but it gets tough when the entire approach has to be flown nose in, in Atti mode...

Not to take away from anything said before this post but good landings come from experience and understanding. In fixed wing they come from good coordination of power, descent rate, speed, and coordinated control input, doing them over and over and over in different conditions until you understand without thinking what has to be done to get it right.

In multirotors we have the same repetition with practice while needing to understand the aerodynamic forces associated with rotor downwash and side loading from wind effects. Control inputs must be subtle but given before drift or problems occur, not after. We can’t be “chasing” the aircraft, but be anticipating what it is going to do and correct before it does it.

Multirotors with downwards optical sensors are a lot easier as they “fix” the aircraft on a ground position. However, the operator is performing less of the landing act than the flight controller as the FC maintains lateral position instead of the operator.

The Typhoon H is not hard to land, it just requires the operator has the understanding and skills necessary to command and control the aircraft. The H requires a pilot, while others don’t need anybody to land them as they can do it without you. One requires skills and intelligence while others are set up so any moron can land them. In which group do you want to be?[emoji848][emoji6]

Last edited:
I once took off and landed on my Jeep's roof, with racks. I didn't know better at the time, the location was very dust and tall grass/weeds.
I had it only for a couple of weeks back then. ?

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Wait for the day you are trying out for a paying job, being given several different types of drones to demonstrate your skills on a breezy day, and provided only a front passenger seat floor mat from a BMW to use as a landing pad. You’ll work hard for that spot regardless of what you’re flying. Bad enough doing it nose out but it gets tough when the entire approach has to be flown nose in, in Atti mode...

Not to take away from anything said before this post but good landings come from experience and understanding. In fixed wing they come from good coordination of power, descent rate, speed, and coordinated control input, doing them over and over and over in different conditions until you understand without thinking what has to be done to get it right.

In multirotors we have the same repetition with practice while needing to understand the aerodynamic forces associated with rotor downwash and side loading from wind effects. Control inputs must be subtle but given before drift or problems occur, not after. We can’t be “chasing” the aircraft, but be anticipating what it is going to do and correct before it does it.

Multirotors with downwards optical sensors are a lot easier as they “fix” the aircraft on a ground position. However, the operator is performing less of the landing act than the flight controller as the FC maintains lateral position instead of the operator.

The Typhoon H is not hard to land, it just requires the operator has the understanding and skills necessary to command and control the aircraft. The H requires a pilot, while others don’t need anybody to land them as they can do it without you. One requires skills and intelligence while others are set up so any moron can land them. In which group do you want to be?[emoji848][emoji6]
I knew that had to be you Pat, when all I saw the last paragraph. I then scrolled up and read the rest. ?

99.5% of the time, i am landing on a a four foot wide section of lake dock.

Some may ask: “but what is the length?”

Considering some support pipes extend a foot or two above the dock surface, that give me a 4x8 foot landing zone. I don’t have much wiggle room!

How did I practice? During the solid water months of my first few weeks of owning my first H480, I created a landing zone by moving a two foot circle of snow from the ice. My goal was to be able to consistently land in that tight zone.

If I could master that, I knew I would be comfortable once the warmer weather meant my margin of error was much less forgiving.

As @PatR stated... “practice, practice, practice:”

Knowing how the aircraft reacts and responds is key. The trick is to get enough stick time where intuition generates action rather than thinking about every movement.

Jeff

Reactions: PatR
Did that with an I-1 flyer on a 27mph wind day. He could not take off or land without using auto launch and land modes. He’d tried on his own a few times before and sent the aircraft back for repairs 3 times because of it. The launch/land deficiency was not within the aircraft...

Here's a suggestion. Make sure you are landing nose into the wind facing away from you. What cleaner are you suing to clean the sticks?

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. You can pick this up at Home Depot
Are you comfortable hand catching the H?
did you go to YouTube and check
out KK Motion Pictures st16

it cured my drift problem

did you go to YouTube and check
out KK Motion Pictures st16

it cured my drift problem

If you go into Channel Settings to observe the reaction of J4, it is not advisable to use the method in the video. You do not need to hit Save and if you miss deactivating at the end you will have mixed inputs on Ch1 which is the throttle and it can cause disastrous effects.

To properly check J4 in Channel Settings, first tap Ch2 Ail in the right half of the screen. You should then see only J4 illuminated on the left side. Now tap J4 on the left side and choose Edit. You can now check your response on the graph. To exit without changing things tap the Back button twice to exit to the Main screen.

You can actually see the same thing in the Hardware Monitor. It is just on a smaller scale and you alleviate the chance of messing up Channel Settings that could cause unexpected behavior.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital