Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H Pro Hovering - any improvement?

Reaction score
I have read that the H Pro also includes an IPS module for indoor positioning. Has anybody had any experience with this compared to the standard H? I'm always jealous of how rock solid the Phantom 4 is when hovering near the ground and would gladly spring the for the IPS module to gain this ability, but haven't seen much talk about it. Would love to hear any feedback from H Pro owners out there on the interwebs.

vr-pilot, in another thread, says he flew indoors. I asked him to let us know the details. I have a Pro, but not able to try it indoors yet.

Does your pro hover any more solid outdoors than the non-pro? My non pro drifts around quite a bit (elevation and position) even when outdoors and with a good amount of satellites.

Does your pro hover any more solid outdoors than the non-pro? My non pro drifts around quite a bit (elevation and position) even when outdoors and with a good amount of satellites.
If you see much drifting in hover it's usually a sign you need to do an accelerometer calibration on a very level surface. A stable hover is primarily a function of the IMU and much less to do with GPS.

Reactions: Chase and Rayray
I have read that the H Pro also includes an IPS module for indoor positioning. Has anybody had any experience with this compared to the standard H? I'm always jealous of how rock solid the Phantom 4 is when hovering near the ground and would gladly spring the for the IPS module to gain this ability, but haven't seen much talk about it. Would love to hear any feedback from H Pro owners out there on the interwebs.

This is outdoors but its my standard H hovering a few meters above ground on GPS mode. No input at all until 0:24 when started to descend.

I'm new to multirotors though, how low is it considered a good "low height hovering test"?

Greetings!

That is about as good as you can expect my friend, Considering, I am sure you had a decent amount of onshore wind as I heard it in your camera mike! ;)

If you see much drifting in hover it's usually a sign you need to do an accelerometer calibration on a very level surface. A stable hover is primarily a function of the IMU and much less to do with GPS.

I understand that and have done all calibrations - on a perfectly leveled surface. I still don't see the the kind of stability that the Phantom 4 has on my drone or any tests I have seen online, and this is fair considering that the Phantom 4 I believe has additional hardware for hover stability. I've even hovered it side by side to a P4 in the exact same weather conditions, and the difference is quite noticeable. What I am asking really is if the IPS module adds this level of hover stability to the Typhoon H?

I have a standard model that I added the RS module to and it is a totally different drone. It used to have about a 2ft box of drift with 20 GPS Sats. Now I would estimate it will drift in about a 3-5in box at most. It was a good drone before the update. Now it is a great drone. Still waiting on a indoor environment to test IPS.

I have a standard model that I added the RS module to and it is a totally different drone. It used to have about a 2ft box of drift with 20 GPS Sats. Now I would estimate it will drift in about a 3-5in box at most. It was a good drone before the update. Now it is a great drone. Still waiting on a indoor environment to test IPS.
where do you get the rs module and can you put it in yourself

Robert weaver, its really easy to install & took me less than 10 minutes although I was lucky as I didn't need to do a firmware update.
Look on youtube there are several vids

Anyone know if it's possible to have GPS and IPS enabled at the same time?
I certainly miss how stable the Phantom hovered compared to the H Pro.

I will try and report back. I know that gps still locks when in IPS mode but not sure if they are both controlling H.

Got to try this last night, WOW!. The H was the most stable I have ever seen it. There was a light wind 2-4mph, but once it found its spot it was rock solid. So when I moved it seems like it would drift just a little bit, then it would "find" its spot and wouldn't move(in a great way). Also, the movement is butter smooth compare to GPS only but pretty slow as well. Like most with the H I get that nice jerk\twitch of the H when I start to move when in GPS. Anyways I am very impressed with IPS mode outdoors.

Got to try this last night, WOW!. The H was the most stable I have ever seen it. There was a light wind 2-4mph, but once it found its spot it was rock solid. So when I moved it seems like it would drift just a little bit, then it would "find" its spot and wouldn't move(in a great way). Also, the movement is butter smooth compare to GPS only but pretty slow as well. Like most with the H I get that nice jerk\twitch of the H when I start to move when in GPS. Anyways I am very impressed with IPS mode outdoors.
GPS and IPS were both active?

Heres a demo of GPS-off and IPS-on if you are interested. GPS was on in the beginning and the end. IMO the H is using IPS and GPS when outdoors. But I am very impressed with the way that is held outdoors with GPS off.

Reactions: Brent D
One thing to bear in mind is that IPS is based on a downward-facing camera, so you need some static texture with good comtrast for the best results. Water and wind-blown grass would be bad for this, and even smooth asphalt with an overhead sun isn't helpful.

Considering this, the TH did better than I expected in your video.

Yes, I was too. After we shot the video we noticed that it would do a lot better on the pieces of cracked asphalt underneath it. It seemed to "find" its position faster over that ground.

Heres a demo of GPS-off and IPS-on if you are interested. GPS was on in the beginning and the end. IMO the H is using IPS and GPS when outdoors. But I am very impressed with the way that is held outdoors with GPS off.

Are you sure the GPS was off? There's normally a rapid flashing purple light when it is off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval