Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H480 External Antenna mod to H920+

Reaction score
So was I wondering if anyone has made this conversion? I'm referring to the external antenna conversion available from Terrestrial Imaging
to extend the early H480 copter's internal antenna wires to the outside for better signal. Since some of the components on the H480 are the same as the H920+, if the antenna board is the same. the antenna mod should work. Can anyone confirm this?

to extend the early H480 copter's internal antenna wires to the outside for better signal.
I'm not aware of any distance or signal strength problems with the H regarding the control signal. The video signal is much more troublesome and that signal will be lost long before the control signal becomes weak.

In any case, adding an external antenna to the ST16 provides better improvements to both the control and video signal. Either the Itelite or 4Hawks antennas will provide more benefit than modifying the H antennas.

I did the external antenna mod & added 4 Hawks to my 480 Pro. Huge difference, especially video with the 4 Hawks.

Just to clarify the original question, the early H480 copter had its 2.4g antennas inside the airframe and there were posts and YT vids on how to move the aircraft's 2.4g antennas to to outside using kits such as sold by Terrestrial Imaging. Yuneec Typhoon H DIY Antenna Kit For - TI Store presumably for better signal.

At some point in the H480 production, Yuneec began shipping the H480 with the 2.4g antennas extending outside the airframe. So the assumption was that having the antennas outside AND at right angles to each other would allows a better signal reception/transmission. This may have been the same time the ST16 went from 1 external 2.4g antenna to 2 external 2.4g antennas commonly known as "the 3 antenna version" including the mushroom antenna.

On the H920/920+ the 2.4g antennas (on the aircraft) always were, and still are internal, similar to the early H480 aircraft.

So my question is: Is the H480 2.4g antenna board and antennas interchangeable with the H920/920+ antenna board and antennas?

Incidentally I have a 4 Hawks Raptor SR range extender for the ST16, but the question was not about antenna mods for the ST16.

Sorry for not being clear in my original post....

Just to clarify the original question, the early H480 copter had its 2.4g antennas inside the airframe and there were posts and YT vids on how to move the aircraft's 2.4g antennas to to outside using kits such as sold by Terrestrial Imaging. Yuneec Typhoon H DIY Antenna Kit For - TI Store presumably for better signal.

At some point in the H480 production, Yuneec began shipping the H480 with the 2.4g antennas extending outside the airframe. So the assumption was that having the antennas outside AND at right angles to each other would allows a better signal reception/transmission. This may have been the same time the ST16 went from 1 external 2.4g antenna to 2 external 2.4g antennas commonly known as "the 3 antenna version" including the mushroom antenna.

On the H920/920+ the 2.4g antennas (on the aircraft) always were, and still are internal, similar to the early H480 aircraft.

So my question is: Is the H480 2.4g antenna board and antennas interchangeable with the H920/920+ antenna board and antennas?

Incidentally I have a 4 Hawks Raptor SR range extender for the ST16, but the question was not about antenna mods for the ST16.

Sorry for not being clear in my original post....
I used the coax cable from the TI 480 antenna kit for my H920Plus antenna mod. The connectors on the H480 and H920Plus WiFi board are the same (U.FL IPX). I am using the longer (higher gain) 2.4 GHz antennas from a ST16. See attached photo. Max signal transfer is obtained when the antennas are parallel. I have not performed any range tests but the reception has got to be better than with the internal H920Plus antennas. A3435F0E-7E37-4BF1-AF8F-1DB8C8A2F452.jpeg

Reactions: Steve Carr
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I am going ahead with this mod, any suggestions - precautions?
Also, everything I've heard about the 2ghz antennas suggests that they should be at a 90° angle to each other, but you are saying paralell..... and your antennas pictured on the 920 are maybe a bit less than 90° about 80°?

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I am going ahead with this mod, any suggestions - precautions?
Also, everything I've heard about the 2ghz antennas suggests that they should be at a 90° angle to each other, but you are saying paralell..... and your antennas pictured on the 920 are maybe a bit less than 90° about 80°?
I just tilt the antennas on my ST16 to be parallel with the H antennas. If the rubber duckie antennas are 90° to each other (transmit to receive) then they are cross pole and will loose signal strength.
Assume you have opened the H920Plus case, if not let me know and I can give you some tips. The TI video on the ST16 antenna mod is good Info for the Wifi coax connectors and plastic drilling. Do use a .25 in plastic drill bit. I am a little concerned about the strength of the lower plastic case. I will probably use a small internal plastic backer plate on my next antenna mod to provide better antenna support. Good luck!

I haven't opened the 920 bottom cover yet. I did a TI antenna mod on one of my older H480's last year. For drilling in plastic I use a dremel to gradually open the holes to 6.35 mm dia. The mod should not be a problem as I do lots of this kind of stuff.

I haven't opened the 920 bottom cover yet. I did a TI antenna mod on one of my older H480's last year. For drilling in plastic I use a dremel to gradually open the holes to 6.35 mm dia. The mod should not be a problem as I do lots of this kind of stuff.
Just extend the arms and place the aircraft upside down on the top foam packing from the case. Remove all the 2mm screws. Note that the battery box screws are longer. Unplug the three bullet connectors from each motor arm. Unless you have the single connector per motor version. Raise the lower unit and unplug the GPS cable. Have fun.

So was I wondering if anyone has made this conversion? I'm referring to the external antenna conversion available from Terrestrial Imaging
to extend the early H480 copter's internal antenna wires to the outside for better signal. Since some of the components on the H480 are the same as the H920+, if the antenna board is the same. the antenna mod should work. Can anyone confirm this?

[/QUOTE]

Hello, when I 1st got my Tornado 920 the range was just pitiful. Un-usable really. I bought the rig mostly for the quality shots you can get from the CGO4 but the range needed to be addressed immediately. I did some research and the receiver on the aircraft has 2 antennas (1 for receiving control input from the transmitter and the other for sending telemetry data back to the transmitter (speed, altitude, battery info etc). Both signals operate at the 2.4GHZ bandwidth. The camera has its own transmitter with built in antenna at the bottom that transmits in 5.8GHZ bandwidth. So the 2 antennas coming off the receiver inside the body of the drone are pretty crappy and they aren't placed well plus the signals have to breakthrough the shell. To improve my range I did a few mods and I've managed to get 3-4X the stock range. In low wifi noise areas I can get a solid mile before losing signal. So first I did was removed the 3 antennas on the controller and get an Itelite DBS Range extender system (about $100). Next I got 2 of the external antenna mount kits from Terrestrial Imaging. The install was a little bit of a pain in the @ss. You have to open up the main body. I turned mine upside down, removed the camera gimbal assembly and removed all the screws around the perimeter. Once you have the body separated, you have to unplug all 6 motor wire clips and the GPS PLUG from the main flight controller. Now you'll have the bottom half free. Just pop off the clips for the old 2 antennas and remove them and clip on the 2 new ones. Next you'll have to drill 2 holes in the body to mount the threaded anttena SMA posts. Make sure you take your time and and triple check everything before drilling the holes! Also be very gentle with the connectors on the receiver. They are small and delicate. Plug back in all six of your motor wire clips and don't forget to plug back in the GPS wires clip to the flight controller and then you are back in business. See my photos for my external antenna mounting place. Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Ryan

20200602_163435.jpg20200602_163315.jpg20200602_163417.jpg20200602_104411.jpg20200602_163256.jpg

I will be ordering 2- 10" antennas with the RP-SMA connectors and IPEX push on connector to the board, to replace the factory internal antennas on my H920+ bird. I have found some options but I am not sure if the IPEX connector to board is a MHF2 or other as shown in the attached photo - can anyone confirm?MHF2.JPG

I will be ordering 2- 10" antennas with the RP-SMA connectors and IPEX push on connector to the board, to replace the factory internal antennas on my H920+ bird. I have found some options but I am not sure if the IPEX connector to board is a MHF2 or other as shown in the attached photo - can anyone confirm?View attachment 23092
I believe that the H920Plus WiFi board uses the IPX U.FL connector. See attached photo of a connector from a H920Plus. The IPX U. FL connector is supposed to be compatible with the IPEX MHF 1 and 2 connectors. You might also consider using the RG178 coax which has lower loss than some of the other smaller coax. I still prefer RG8U coax and N or PL259 connectors. Guess that would work in a predator type drone. Ha!DF3D4DBE-2C31-4B17-9D28-2AD47C9325A7.jpeg

H920+ Antenna mod complete, waiting on ITE Lite extender for ST16
Good deal. I see you have the single three pin connector for each motor. That is good because the three individual bullet connectors per motor is a weak design link. Do not know when Yuneec made the switch.

H920+ Antenna mod complete, waiting on ITE Lite extender for ST16
Very nice! When you get the antenna array for the ST16 installed combined with the external antennas on the H920, you'll see a huge improvement. At first I was having problems with the video dropping out well before the control and telemetry links, then with just the Itelite antenna combo, I was having solid video, much extended range but then the control and telemetry would drop out lol. The external 2.4 antennas fixed that now they are pretty even...about 5000-6000 ft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss