Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 and E90 parts and teardown

You need to be careful as the antenna is the lowest point of the camera. That's all.
If the foam is too rigid then you can cause it to break.

Understood, it's not very soft, in fact the new one I have put it under the original black one and only going up in the front, where the camera is and not the antenna. Now I've understood. Thank you

@Haydn have asked an interesting question. The possibility to adjust the hardness of the ST16S sticks does not exist, a colleague has opened it.

By chance you haven't opened any ST16S and you have photos or references of the sticks, to have the possibility of replacing them with a better model?

They are the same as ST16 ones

You have to be careful when replacing the sticks of the st16s. If they are not appropriate, they will rub against the back cover of the station.

Thank you Javier :D

Haydn, any chance of putting in better ones?
Not sure.
That is above my knowledge level sorry.

With a3D printer and a will... Anything would be possible ;)

Reactions: arruntus

Thank you very much!!

Can you say, which exact Motor Driver IC's are soldered.
They are the 5 peaces in a row.

I remember me,
the GB203 Gimbal has TI 8839
also the CGO3 and the CGO3+ has TI 8839
it would be very interessting which Motor Driver are soldered,
i think, this are again TI 8839
( DRV8839Low-VoltageDual ½-H-BridgeDriverIC )

Why i ask:
I have several E90 and C23 and E50.
All them have allways the same Problem after a few time of use.
one time the 360° Gimbal do only work in one way direction, but drops in the other and then stopped it and camera goes reset.
other time the pitch motor comes in trouble and the camera goes reset,
the roll motor work was untile today allways ok.

The datasheet says, that 1.8A max drive current ..
here is a test video (other gimbal ) with few things what can be happend with the current if the gimbal get resistance ( example wind ) .. it comes very fast over the 1.8A

My thinking was then, that this Motor Drivers are perhabs have a to small dimension
but Yuneec never change the reference design to an higher IC since the work began with GB603. I think for the TornadoH920 Gimbal are perhabs same IC used ( i can look at this next time cause i get GB603 next time )

Can you confirm that the 5 IC's are again TI8839 ?

Btw: @all
why allways use (only) 5 IC's from them?
i find no logic for this.
usually one IC drives one DC Motor or one line Stepper Motor.
of course - the motor has 3 lines
so usually we need then 3 IC's of them for one motor.
so there usually must be 9 IC's

are the IC's sharing the line between the Motors?
so two Motor (lines) are connected to one IC out?
who knows detailed more things about this.
i am sure, the Driver IC's goes damaged allways cause the max current goes to high.

or the power is not enough to driver the motor
and driver current goes higher and higher

thank you
best wishes

Reactions: arruntus
Very interesting question. I don't get that far with electronics but the way to behave when it fails has happened to me many times when I configure the gimbals and I solve it by increasing the power a little and I try again.

Reactions: ;-)
Can controllers/drivers work in parallel to supply more current to the motor?

The problem is that there can be small timing differences between devices. They would have to be exactly synchronized in order to be connected in parallel, otherwise there could be a situation where one device is driving the ouput low while the other is driving it high, which would cause a shoot-through condition between power and ground. This gets even more complicated when current control is being used, as slight differences in the current chopping threshold from one part to the other would cause the parts to try and change the PWM cycle at different times.

This answere remeber me to the "wobble theme" of the gimbal and it is/was definitely a "timing problem" in the firmware.

the other thing I'm very interested in , is why here "only" are 5 peaces :)

I will make a lineup of gimbal engine control next time
Starting from
GB603, GB203, CGO4, CGO2, CGO2 +, CGO3, CGO3 +, C23, E90, CGOET ..
I'm rock-sure - the same Motor Driver reference design has been used for ages.
But the cameras have different torques with counter force ... and there was never anything changed in the design of the control.

It may also be that the coupling / decoupling and partial capacitors simply give up the mind and become broken.

A rare species I have now with an E90.
The gimbal rotates 360 ° "perfectly around a rotation axis, but as soon as I switch in the other direction, it stops after a few" steps "(as if on resistance) and can not be moved in the other direction, so to speak "stuck" or moved into a "free zone" on which the motor driver no longer has access.

I'll try to make a video of the days.
I'm on the topic for months.
Because these things are always happening at the gimbal,
and even a software bug could have destroyed such a motor driver once - just how to prove it.

Perhaps a circuit error results from the gimbal control, VBAT is secured in any case from the mainframe with an SMD fuse. One would have to take the different firmwares and all try and measure measuring measure. There will be a difference somewhere.

The control of 3 motors per 3 lines with "only" 5 pieces of motor driver with only "one line" output is quite amazing.

:)

ok.
i did open one E90 and C23 now, there are 8839 TI Motor driver, same like in GB203, CGO3+.

E90_8839-TI.jpg

also the C23 has the same Motor driver.
(edit: typo in digits ) only the STM32 F373CCT6 is little different in second typ nr
C23: GH221
E90: GH26R

C23_E90-Gimbal_Driver.jpg

not sure is this revision change or serial or perhabs other type of STM32,
have to research again in the data sheet exactly whether there is a difference or only newer type / manufacture number

the GB203 (pic comes later) has TI 8839

the CGO3+ has TI 8839

CGO3+TI8839.jpg

now the question is, why there are 5 peaces
the lines are shared / on more as one motor driver
perhabs i will find a reference design for sharing pins with more motors
or someone how read this, and know this ( how can this driven ? )

8839_Route.jpg

btw, the GB603 (H920 Tornado ) has 3 Motordriver IC'S,
for each Motor YAW PITCH ROLL ( 3lines) one IC
they are the L6230 FN00H with 2.8 A output peak current (1.4 A RMS)

GB603_Tornado920.jpg

perhabs i should open a new thread for this?

best wishes

Last edited:
The lack of space or wanting to make it the smallest is almost certainly the one that has led to that design. I hope it's not also the reason why soft movements can't be implemented, if so..............

ok.
i did open ..........
UM WOW!!!!!
Ok so I can pull them apart and put back together.. but this Sir is a whole different level of knowledge.
I bow to your awesomeness .
I am just going to nod my head and say "yep, aha, ok, got it" but don't get me to repeat anything.
Sorry I can not help you with this.
:)

Reactions: ;-)
Man!! This is so cool! Thanks for sharing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop