Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Has anyone found a way to "repair" Typhoon H arms?

slw74

Part 107 certificate
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I must admit that I have had a few "encounters" with my Typhoon H drones. Fortunately not too many and I have been able to make the repairs myself. Since arms are commonly damaged or broken, I was wondering if any of you folks have attempted to "repair" an arm that is only broken where the arm is mounted to the Typhoon H. Specifically, is there an option to obtain replacement pieces for the proximal end of the arms that could be attached to an otherwise perfectly good arm. Just to clarify, see the photos of my two latest replacements with the same damage.
Thanks,
Stephen

Attachments

• InkedTyphoon H arms_LI.jpg
    InkedTyphoon H arms_LI.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
Reactions: Air Intel
Ha! I've been trying to get the prop mounts aswell as the end joints off the stalks too but its very difficult.
Not only are they riveted but i think glued on aswell.
Its a shame these parts can't be ordered separately but i assume thats because they're precision aligned.
Somebody's bound to have a trick for this hopefully though.
I too could maybe save a couple of arms then [emoji846]

What about a hair dryer? The heat may free the glue joint. If it did come apart you'd have to use a glue which wouldn't attack the material. I suspect the arms aren't split into parts more is to simplify repairs, and maximum profit for Yuneec.

I played with the idea several months ago. It's no secret that I have a large inventory of broken parts. (From my stress testing of airframes. :) )
I've tried heat and Acetone on the glue with no luck. If you find a method I'm interested.

If CA (instant) glue was used it won’t ever come apart. CA has a very deep love affair with carbon fiber, especially the ultra thin variety.

If CA (instant) glue was used it won’t ever come apart. CA has a very deep love affair with carbon fiber, especially the ultra thin variety.
I suspect that is the case. I was surprised that one motor pod actually came loose during one of my stress test events. That inspired me to attempt the other end. No joy.

Yea, i have glue that actually welds instead of merely sticking, its probably something like that they've used [emoji53]

Solvent weld is very powerful, pretty much melts itself into its location.

It's no secret that I have a large inventory of broken parts. (From my stress testing of airframes. :) )

So that must be the politically correct way of saying you wage war on Ents, even though it is a losing battle. ?

I just had to beat @DCH to the punch.

• Angry
Reactions: DCH
:) This is a good thing if it doesn’t come apart easily or not come apart at all. I guess we can conclude yuneec drones are built Ford tough

Reactions: PatR
I must admit that I have had a few "encounters" with my Typhoon H drones. Fortunately not too many and I have been able to make the repairs myself. Since arms are commonly damaged or broken, I was wondering if any of you folks have attempted to "repair" an arm that is only broken where the arm is mounted to the Typhoon H. Specifically, is there an option to obtain replacement pieces for the proximal end of the arms that could be attached to an otherwise perfectly good arm. Just to clarify, see the photos of my two latest replacements with the same damage.
Thanks,
Stephen
The ends are no good if there are broken so take a die grinder or dremel tool and split the broken part and it should pry off. Good luck.

OK...here's the next chapter in the broken arm saga. I was able to remove the drone end of one of the arms in my earlier picture. After drilling out the plastic rivet, I was able to gently, but firmly work the arm out completely undamaged! There did not appear to be any adhesive (or very little) that had bonded the plastic to the arm. I was then able to put the end back on the arm. It's a very snug fit. With a machine screw cut to length (a smaller one would be ideal) I was able to secure the end to the arm extremely well. So the issue of removing the end without damaging the arm is possible. The limitation is getting a new replacement end that is the excellent fit. Any ideas on that one?

Attachments

• Arm1.jpg
    Arm1.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Arm2.jpg
    Arm2.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Arm3.jpg
    Arm3.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 57
I crashed my drone for the first time since 2016. The last firmware update wasn't exactly a easy process, and basically I had to reset the whole system, to install the update.
With this new versions, I lost some functionalities like " object avoidance ".
However, yesterday I was taking photos of my house roof, and I hit the wall. The arm is broken but still working.
Any ideas how I can fix this carbon fiber arm ...?

Attachments

• 20200520_085320.jpg
    20200520_085320.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 24
I've bought the arm complete with motor and light for £52 new, the wires can be tricky re-threading through, it's what you feel comfortable with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval