Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How much airspace do I "own" on my property?

I have a specific question with regards to this matter. I'm assuming no one here is an attorney, but do you think observing one's own land and property using a drone would qualify as work and require further FAA clearance? Or do you think observing ones own land and whatever is upon it falls within the rights that every drone owner would have? It would not be work for hire; it would be work done for myself and my own purposes upon my own private property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know in Canada, if your using your drone for work or research, it's considered "business" and you add a new set of rules to follow, insurance and an SFOC ...but I'm sure flying your own property the powers that be would look the other way...and they can't chase everyone down that flys a drone to see what they are doing. The FAA are more interested in protecting the public from dumb pilots...just my 2cents

Reactions: Jester
All federal legislation should be based on your Constitutional rights. Thank you for your input on this subject.
Attached is my understanding, recorded for any person or entity to view.
I carry this where and when i fly.
The law revelency is only applicable if a claim is made against you.
In my opinion just front up that you know your rights from the start.20170112_140552.jpg

In my country a landowner does not own any airspace above his land.
a drone can fly over it without any problems but then the privacy laws kick in
Marnix

We do a lot of clay pigeon practice.
I'm not responsible for any device that may be in my target area.
Anyone foolish enough to be in our recreational area with not receive any sympathy from me if they put there toy in my space.
As everyone has said, no one owns the airspace. I have as much right to use my airspace for recreation. I would argue that I have recreational priority to the space above my property. Clay pigeon target practice is recreational and is very relaxing. I pity any fool that puts a toy between me and one of my targets.
I think we should all respect each other's space regardless of what some fool may have written on paper.
And remember there's always countermeasures. It is my opinion that the reason the airspace has little restriction is because a passing a law would most likely affect and restrict government entities the most.

We do a lot of clay pigeon practice.
I'm not responsible for any device that may be in my target area.
Anyone foolish enough to be in our recreational area with not receive any sympathy from me if they put there toy in my space.
As everyone has said, no one owns the airspace. I have as much right to use my airspace for recreation. I would argue that I have recreational priority to the space above my property. Clay pigeon target practice is recreational and is very relaxing. I pity any fool that puts a toy between me and one of my targets.
I think we should all respect each other's space regardless of what some fool may have written on paper.
And remember there's always countermeasures. It is my opinion that the reason the airspace has little restriction is because a passing a law would most likely affect and restrict government entities the most.

you should remember that the drone is not the only one recording it also being saved on the transmitter . when you come out and shoot it down and the video
clearly shows no clay targets being shot and there is no sounds of any shots . you have now committed a felony and any judge will view it that way .

the video will clearly show intent .

good luck

you should remember that the drone is not the only one recording it also being saved on the transmitter . when you come out and shoot it down and the video
clearly shows no clay targets being shot and there is no sounds of any shots . you have now committed a felony and any judge will view it that way .

the video will clearly show intent .

good luck

In my country if you shoot down a drone that was flying over your property. You will be arrested and your weapon will be confiscated. If the Judge convicts you even jail time is possible.
On other hands if the drone was filming you, you still do not have the right to shoot it down. But it wil help in your defence because it is forbidden to film someone without their concent (privacy law).

Marnix

Another thing is in my country you have the DGLV (something as the FAA in the US) and they have put a law in place that every airspace more then 1 cm above your property is not yours. Even to shoot clay pigeons you will have to ask for permission. So they can resctrict the airspace (thru a notam normally)

Marnix

I think it comes down to a matter of respect. Show none and you should expect none. Those that are militant in their general attitude simply invite issues, often more contrived than real. They make their lives more difficult without any help from outside sources.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval