Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to install GOOGLE PLAYSTORE on ST16

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great...except for one possible/probable problem - in addition to installing the Google Play Store, you also NEED to have Google Play Services installed. Yes, you will be able to "play around" within the Google Play Store, even going so far as to have access to the "All" list within "My apps & games". Unfortunately, you won't (or, at least, you shouldn't) be able to install/update anything, due to another missing app - Google Play Services. Complicating matters, there are many version numbers of the Play Store APK, and there are also many version numbers for the Google Play Services APK, and you can't just install any version of either/both.

Starting with Google Play (the easier to explain), certain versions are only for certain versions (and above) of Android. In other words, you can't just install the most recent (which, unfortunately, is exactly what CAPTAINDRONE's link will download). You can install an older version, or even a very old version, and it will run just as well as the newest version. You can even open it, go to "Settings", and attempt to have it update itself to the most recent version...it might even work, and, then again, it might not (I didn't test that far). Once installed, you'll have access to everything the Play Store has to offer...except installing/updating apps. That's where Google Play Services comes into play (pardon the pun).

This is where everything gets complicated. As with the Play Store, you can't just download any version you want, as there are different version numbers of Google Play Services that are associated to different versions of Android. Making matters worse, you ALSO NEED TO KNOW THE PROCESSOR TYPE. Technically, the exact version of Google Play Services that's needed is dependent upon three specific categories: Android version, CPU architecture, & DPI. The "Android version" is separated into 5 groups, while the CPU architecture is separated into 4, and the DPI is separated into 5. Just looking at the most recent version of Google Play Services (9.2.56), there are 28 variants. To date, there have been 74 different versions of Google Play Services, and while most of the oldest ones only had a single variant, more recent versions have had as many as 25-28 variants each.

As you should be able to understand, selecting a version of the Play Store is a relatively simple process, but correctly trying to match up the correct Google Play Services APK will be considerably more difficult. As much as I'd really like to get the Play Store fully operational...if for no other reason than downloading/installing the latest version of Google Maps...until someone presents a definitive solution as to which, specific Play Store AND Play Services APKs to download/install, my best suggestion/recommendation would be to leave the ST16 'stock'. I'm sure someone, in due time (probably in the mod community, such as XDA), will determine exactly which Play Store & Play Services APKs need to be downloaded/installed to the ST16. Again, I suggest waiting...unless you are a dev who knows/understands the risks, and is willing to take them in order to help others...or unless (to those who are NOT devs) you want to take the chance of royally screwing up your ST16.
It's nothing but clutter on your 16 in my mind, I leave mine alone, it was made to fly the H, not use as personal tablet in my mind !

Reactions: Graeme Buckley
Thank you. For a long time he tried but did not succeed.
Now, it is desirable to install antivirus software, since it is possible to bring applications for downloading virus and losing control Typhoon.
Many years of use antivirs Panda (not advertising), I have 5 computers and two phones and tablets are protected by Panda .. and then try to put it.

I had Google Playstore installed but after it updated it self starting crashing the ST16 i recommend that nobody install it. Not worth the hassle dont want it crashing the st16 in mid flight of your H.

I had Google Playstore installed but after it updated it self starting crashing the ST16 i recommend that nobody install it. Not worth the hassle dont want it crashing the st16 in mid flight of your H.
helpful information.
One can not understand why this is not happening in the program DJI. Perhaps it is not the cause of failure, so the update is required for connection to the network or wifi , and in the case of Typhoon program - wifi connected to a Typhoon H.

Reactions: Craigo
installing google play is a horrible idea . this will add extra processes . and therefore put your controller at risk of locking up .
Lockup = crashed H ....
after doing so dont complain if your H behaves strange .

If you wish to install APPS on your ST16 or you wish to download FIRMWARE updates from the Yuneec website, you'll need:

- WIFI
- Google Account (for PLAYSTORE only)

On your ST16, select "PAD" - located on lower left of screen. Then select the circle at the bottom of the screen with the 6 dots in it. This takes you to your install APPS screen in Android.

Go to the SETTINGS gear icon and fill in all the info for your WiFi.

Go to the GOOGLE SETTINGS icon and fill in your Google Account Info.

Next use a PC or MAC and download the GOOGLE PLAY STORE (APK FILE) located here:
[APK][20-MAY-2016] Google Play Store v6.7.12.E-all ~ Newest version, unmodded

There is an UNCOMPRESS program that comes with the ST16, but it is not very good. You need WINZIP. Go to this address (using a PC or MAC) and download the following WINZIP (APK FILE):
WinZip (Android)

Copy both files from your PC or MAC to a MICRO SD Card.

Next, place the MICRO SD card in the bottom of your ST16.

Make certain that you have selected "PAD" and are now looking at the GREEN desktop of ANDROID. Again click on that circle at the bottom center of your screen.

Select FILE MANAGER

The are two tabs at the top of FILE MANAGER "Category & Directory". Select "Category".

Select "APKs". The APK files you copied to the MICRO SD, which is now in the bottom of your ST16 will show up. Select them and they will install (accept all the screens).

That's it!!!! You're all done. Now you can go to the Google Play store and you can also download ZIPPED files from the YUNEEC website and UNZIP them.

NOTE: If ever you wish to copy files, lets say from your ST16 to a MICRO SD, or from a MICRO SD to your ST16, use the FILEMANAGER App, but select "DIRECTORY".... then find your files and copy and paste them.

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR TYPHOON (and ST16)!

View attachment 626
Hi Capain is the APK viruses free ([APK][20-MAY-2016] Google Play Store v6.7.12.E-all ~ Newest version, unmodded) safe to install in our ST 16 ?

Yes. Installed Google Playstore. I did try it, it worked fine, but can't recall if I installed an App through it as I had limited time to play around. I won't be able to check anything for the next few weeks (Typhoon has gone back to Yuneec for servicing).
What happen to you H

I was gonna ask the same captain,what happened to your H for you to have to send it back,from the videos you have posted it looked as if yours was running perfectly.

BTW there is no Reason to install any apps on the st-16, yes its a android device but without a wifi or cellular connection to the Net all applications are useless. only asking for trouble, and Yes ive seen DJI app Go application crash on some tablets. no reason to risk losing connection of your H and crashing.......... But heck its your guys Yuneec H go ballz crazy.

My ST16 came with the Google Play Store app pre-installed but for the life of me I can NOT get it to open ... so why is it there ... but I am wondering why I would need it anyways ... I am with DroneClone on this one ... too many apps running in the background will slow it down ... and why in the world do you need all those apps on the ST16 anyways ... if you want apps use your frickin' tablet/phone ... the ST16 is for flying the H not to play games on. Just my opinion !!

Reactions: DroneClone
There are reasons to install apps on the ST-16, but I would say that as I've written one :)

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
My ST16 came with the Google Play Store app pre-installed but for the life of me I can NOT get it to open ... so why is it there ... but I am wondering why I would need it anyways ... I am with DroneClone on this one ... too many apps running in the background will slow it down ... and why in the world do you need all those apps on the ST16 anyways ... if you want apps use your frickin' tablet/phone ... the ST16 is for flying the H not to play games on. Just my opinion !!
For Sure !

There are reasons to install apps on the ST-16, but I would say that as I've written one :)

Apps like yours I can see having on the ST16 and I suppose there may be a few more out there .. so looks like I may use the Google Play store app after all ... MAYBE !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy