Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to install GOOGLE PLAYSTORE on ST16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't be putting my app on Play Store until it's officially supported on the ST-16. Unless the Play Store properly recognises the ST-16 installing any app with it will be a gamble.

If you wish to install APPS on your ST16 or you wish to download FIRMWARE updates from the Yuneec website, you'll need:

- WIFI
- Google Account (for PLAYSTORE only)

On your ST16, select "PAD" - located on lower left of screen. Then select the circle at the bottom of the screen with the 6 dots in it. This takes you to your install APPS screen in Android.

Go to the SETTINGS gear icon and fill in all the info for your WiFi.

Go to the GOOGLE SETTINGS icon and fill in your Google Account Info.

Next use a PC or MAC and download the GOOGLE PLAY STORE (APK FILE) located here:
[APK][20-MAY-2016] Google Play Store v6.7.12.E-all ~ Newest version, unmodded

There is an UNCOMPRESS program that comes with the ST16, but it is not very good. You need WINZIP. Go to this address (using a PC or MAC) and download the following WINZIP (APK FILE):
WinZip (Android)

Copy both files from your PC or MAC to a MICRO SD Card.

Next, place the MICRO SD card in the bottom of your ST16.

Make certain that you have selected "PAD" and are now looking at the GREEN desktop of ANDROID. Again click on that circle at the bottom center of your screen.

Select FILE MANAGER

The are two tabs at the top of FILE MANAGER "Category & Directory". Select "Category".

Select "APKs". The APK files you copied to the MICRO SD, which is now in the bottom of your ST16 will show up. Select them and they will install (accept all the screens).

That's it!!!! You're all done. Now you can go to the Google Play store and you can also download ZIPPED files from the YUNEEC website and UNZIP them.

NOTE: If ever you wish to copy files, lets say from your ST16 to a MICRO SD, or from a MICRO SD to your ST16, use the FILEMANAGER App, but select "DIRECTORY".... then find your files and copy and paste them.

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR TYPHOON (and ST16)!

View attachment 626
Thanks Captain, is the APK file viruses free

My ST16 came with the Google Play Store app pre-installed but for the life of me I can NOT get it to open ... so why is it there ... but I am wondering why I would need it anyways ... I am with DroneClone on this one ... too many apps running in the background will slow it down ... and why in the world do you need all those apps on the ST16 anyways ... if you want apps use your frickin' tablet/phone ... the ST16 is for flying the H not to play games on. Just my opinion !!

Well, there IS one app I could see installing...or, to be more accurate, to be upgraded. The last I checked, the version of Google Maps is outdated by at least a few versions. I can see people wanting to be able to update Google Maps, and, in order to update it to the most recent version (and keep it that way), then the ST16 would need the Google Play Store, as well as any related (ie. required to be running in the background) apps, installed. Beyond Google Maps, as with many others, I see no need/reason to install the Google Play Store.

Well, there IS one app I could see installing...or, to be more accurate, to be upgraded. The last I checked, the version of Google Maps is outdated by at least a few versions. I can see people wanting to be able to update Google Maps, and, in order to update it to the most recent version (and keep it that way), then the ST16 would need the Google Play Store, as well as any related (ie. required to be running in the background) apps, installed. Beyond Google Maps, as with many others, I see no need/reason to install the Google Play Store.

Hey Panther I'm all for having the Google app and using it to update the other installed apps that came with the ST16, I use it all the time to download apps and update other apps on my phone and tablet but when I can't get it to open on the ST16 then what good is it. Now I have read somewhere in this forum that Yuneec and Google have some kind of certificate thing or something going on with the Google App store and that's why it won't work .. and yes I am signed in with Google settings on the ST16.

Hey Panther I'm all for having the Google app and using it to update the other installed apps that came with the ST16, I use it all the time to download apps and update other apps on my phone and tablet but when I can't get it to open on the ST16 then what good is it. Now I have read somewhere in this forum that Yuneec and Google have some kind of certificate thing or something going on with the Google App store and that's why it won't work .. and yes I am signed in with Google settings on the ST16.

I know the feeling. Like several others, I also installed the Google Play Store, only to discover it wouldn't work. through research, I discovered why...at least to a certain extent - in addition to the Google Play Store app, you also need to have downloaded/installed several Google Play "services" apps (including one called "Google Play Services"). Unfortunately, not even this resolved my problem. Yes, I was finally able to get Google Play to open...and it even detected what apps (such as the aforementioned Google Maps)...but, unfortunately, it wouldn't download/install them. Getting Google Play to run is half the problem, but half a problem solved is still an "unsolved" problem...especially if nothing can be downloaded/installed. Has anyone out there solved the second half of the problem? Has anyone actually been able to download/install apps needing to be updated, and actually downloaded/installed them USING Google Play?

I purchased the ST16 with playstore already installed. But it won't work, if I try to login with my google account it says authentication required.
I wonder why it has been installed on the device from stock.

Last edited:
Hey zapp ... same here ... I have spent a couple hours . not all at once .. trying to get Google Play Store to even open and I can't ... I'm assuming that Yuneec and Google are working on getting it up and running but until then ..no Google Play Store for me

The getting the Play store to properly work on the ST16 requires root, after you've successfully rooted the device and installed the Play store you then have to move the installation into the system apps folder and assign it the proper permissions. I got it working perfectly within a week of getting my H but there really wasn't too much to do unless you wanted to download a movie editor. Long story short I ended up having issues with binding my camera (completely unrelated) so I ended up doing a factory reset which got rid of root with no consequences I just never bothered to get it back again.

If you wish to install APPS on your ST16 or you wish to download FIRMWARE updates from the Yuneec website, you'll need:

- WIFI
- Google Account (for PLAYSTORE only)

On your ST16, select "PAD" - located on lower left of screen. Then select the circle at the bottom of the screen with the 6 dots in it. This takes you to your install APPS screen in Android.

Go to the SETTINGS gear icon and fill in all the info for your WiFi.

Go to the GOOGLE SETTINGS icon and fill in your Google Account Info.

Next use a PC or MAC and download the GOOGLE PLAY STORE (APK FILE) located here:
[APK][20-MAY-2016] Google Play Store v6.7.12.E-all ~ Newest version, unmodded

There is an UNCOMPRESS program that comes with the ST16, but it is not very good. You need WINZIP. Go to this address (using a PC or MAC) and download the following WINZIP (APK FILE):
WinZip (Android)

Copy both files from your PC or MAC to a MICRO SD Card.

Next, place the MICRO SD card in the bottom of your ST16.

Make certain that you have selected "PAD" and are now looking at the GREEN desktop of ANDROID. Again click on that circle at the bottom center of your screen.

Select FILE MANAGER

The are two tabs at the top of FILE MANAGER "Category & Directory". Select "Category".

Select "APKs". The APK files you copied to the MICRO SD, which is now in the bottom of your ST16 will show up. Select them and they will install (accept all the screens).

That's it!!!! You're all done. Now you can go to the Google Play store and you can also download ZIPPED files from the YUNEEC website and UNZIP them.

NOTE: If ever you wish to copy files, lets say from your ST16 to a MICRO SD, or from a MICRO SD to your ST16, use the FILEMANAGER App, but select "DIRECTORY".... then find your files and copy and paste them.

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR TYPHOON (and ST16)!

View attachment 626

Okay :) How do you uninstall it mine will not work anymore

If you have done the recent upgrade, any installation of play store will (probably) have been overwritten as it's part of the core system.

Basically what he is saying I think might be wrong but if you do a fresh install on your computer you need to reinstall your software. Since you updated the firmware it has over written the google play store and change the root back to normal.

Basically what he is saying I think might be wrong but if you do a fresh install on your computer you need to reinstall your software. Since you updated the firmware it has over written the google play store and change the root back to normal.

I have tried a new install if that's what your saying, and it errors out saying signature already in use. Thats why i wanted to uninstall it, but cannot find a way

Don't uninstall it - the Google Play bits that come with the last few releases are meant to be there (I suspect they support some of the system services Yuneec's apps rely on). It's frustrating that they're broken for 'normal' use - but trying to fix them might do more damage than good.

Don't uninstall it - the Google Play bits that come with the last few releases are meant to be there (I suspect they support some of the system services Yuneec's apps rely on). It's frustrating that they're broken for 'normal' use - but trying to fix them might do more damage than good.

Ah okay --- thank you :)

What would you suggest Brian's next step to be to get it working again?

I have google play store already installed when I got my drone, but when I tried to launch it it would say "Unfortunately, Google play has stopped." Would I have to download the link you have provided and uninstall the current?

Says authentication is required

f9e2a3b503c7d21fd93fa9b4790ec6c6.jpg

Bill W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech