Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to install GOOGLE PLAYSTORE on ST16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
If you wish to install APPS on your ST16 or you wish to download FIRMWARE updates from the Yuneec website, you'll need:

- WIFI
- Google Account (for PLAYSTORE only)

On your ST16, select "PAD" - located on lower left of screen. Then select the circle at the bottom of the screen with the 6 dots in it. This takes you to your install APPS screen in Android.

Go to the SETTINGS gear icon and fill in all the info for your WiFi.

Go to the GOOGLE SETTINGS icon and fill in your Google Account Info.

Next use a PC or MAC and download the GOOGLE PLAY STORE (APK FILE) located here:
[APK][20-MAY-2016] Google Play Store v6.7.12.E-all ~ Newest version, unmodded

There is an UNCOMPRESS program that comes with the ST16, but it is not very good. You need WINZIP. Go to this address (using a PC or MAC) and download the following WINZIP (APK FILE):
WinZip (Android)

Copy both files from your PC or MAC to a MICRO SD Card.

Next, place the MICRO SD card in the bottom of your ST16.

Make certain that you have selected "PAD" and are now looking at the GREEN desktop of ANDROID. Again click on that circle at the bottom center of your screen.

Select FILE MANAGER

The are two tabs at the top of FILE MANAGER "Category & Directory". Select "Category".

Select "APKs". The APK files you copied to the MICRO SD, which is now in the bottom of your ST16 will show up. Select them and they will install (accept all the screens).

That's it!!!! You're all done. Now you can go to the Google Play store and you can also download ZIPPED files from the YUNEEC website and UNZIP them.

NOTE: If ever you wish to copy files, lets say from your ST16 to a MICRO SD, or from a MICRO SD to your ST16, use the FILEMANAGER App, but select "DIRECTORY".... then find your files and copy and paste them.

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR TYPHOON (and ST16)!

20160522_150933_resized.jpg

If you wish to install APPS on your ST16 or you wish to download FIRMWARE updates from the Yuneec website, you'll need:

- WIFI
- Google Account (for PLAYSTORE only)

On your ST16, select "PAD" - located on lower left of screen. Then select the circle at the bottom of the screen with the 6 dots in it. This takes you to your install APPS screen in Android.

Go to the SETTINGS gear icon and fill in all the info for your WiFi.

Go to the GOOGLE SETTINGS icon and fill in your Google Account Info.

Next use a PC or MAC and download the GOOGLE PLAY STORE (APK FILE) located here:
[APK][20-MAY-2016] Google Play Store v6.7.12.E-all ~ Newest version, unmodded

There is an UNCOMPRESS program that comes with the ST16, but it is not very good. You need WINZIP. Go to this address (using a PC or MAC) and download the following WINZIP (APK FILE):
WinZip (Android)

Copy both files from your PC or MAC to a MICRO SD Card.

Next, place the MICRO SD card in the bottom of your ST16.

Make certain that you have selected "PAD" and are now looking at the GREEN desktop of ANDROID. Again click on that circle at the bottom center of your screen.

Select FILE MANAGER

The are two tabs at the top of FILE MANAGER "Category & Directory". Select "Category".

Select "APKs". The APK files you copied to the MICRO SD, which is now in the bottom of your ST16 will show up. Select them and they will install (accept all the screens).

That's it!!!! You're all done. Now you can go to the Google Play store and you can also download ZIPPED files from the YUNEEC website and UNZIP them.

NOTE: If ever you wish to copy files, lets say from your ST16 to a MICRO SD, or from a MICRO SD to your ST16, use the FILEMANAGER App, but select "DIRECTORY".... then find your files and copy and paste them.

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR TYPHOON (and ST16)!

View attachment 626
Excellent post of information of wealth!

You can also install the DJI GO app and control a Phantom with a Yuneec controller!
I would not advise cluttering your ST16 with alot of APPS, as it will slow it down, especially if you do not close them out proper and they are running in the background ! And using processor speed ! My 2 centavo's LOL !
YES and NO. If you look at DJI, you must provide your own tablet. Tablets people use with DJI products are filled with Apps (Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc). When an App is running it has full control. Yuncee has just placed a very simple App on an Android tablet to control the Typhoon.

Could you get conflicts with some Apps.... Perhaps but it never seems to be a problem with people running Android Tablets and flying Phantoms, so it's a concern, but a small concern.

Someone posted a few weeks back that people with the ST16 who use it to check their social media (Facebook, Twitter, Email) would look "extra special" sitting in a Star Bucks doing just that. :)

My sd card keeps saying blank, even after I reformatted it..........himmmm
Well, reformatting would erase everything so it would be blank.

Also, the SD card slot in some of the ST16's is a bit weak. In other words, you either have to stuff the Micro SD Card in the slot, or hold it in place with your fingers while transferring files.

Doesn't the Play Store need to be installed in the System Apps folder (which requires root access) in order to properly download apps with it?

Doesn't the Play Store need to be installed in the System Apps folder (which requires root access) in order to properly download apps with it?
Hmmm... now that is something I am not sure of. I just installed the APK file as per above and it worked fine. I no longer have the ST16 to double check. Try it out and let me know if it works for you as well.

I have a bin file on my sd card. weird...........oh well I did it the old way.........

Captaindrone: Have you actually tried this? If I try to install any apps via the playstore, it crashes. Not sure what the issue is.... (I get google play services errors in the flight controller now as well.)

Captaindrone: Have you actually tried this? If I try to install any apps via the playstore, it crashes. Not sure what the issue is.... (I get google play services errors in the flight controller now as well.)
Yes. Installed Google Playstore. I did try it, it worked fine, but can't recall if I installed an App through it as I had limited time to play around. I won't be able to check anything for the next few weeks (Typhoon has gone back to Yuneec for servicing).

Yes. Installed Google Playstore. I did try it, it worked fine, but can't recall if I installed an App through it as I had limited time to play around. I won't be able to check anything for the next few weeks (Typhoon has gone back to Yuneec for servicing).
hi you didn't get your H back from service yet? have you gotten an update of any kind? i ask because i had to sent my camera and gimbal in...I don't want to get into on the forum what happened as i don't want trolls all over this....it was a fluke thing that happened that i should have probably noticed when it arrived but was anxious to fly it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval